PDA

View Full Version : Range finders

ontothepigs
7th January 2015, 12:52 PM
I have been looking into range finders at the moment and would like to see if anyone has any suggestions?

Can anyone recommend a range finder they have found useful?

Are there any to stay away from?

Anyone pick up a bargain in the last week or two that might be worth looking into?

And lastly, I have a pair of binoculars that I run off a chest harness, do you find you have too much stuff hanging around when you also add a range finder? Or are you better off practising finding distances?

Thanks in advance.

Myst
7th January 2015, 01:43 PM
plenty of threads on this if you use the search function, but it always helps to know your use (bow, rifle or both), whether you want incline/ decline compensation, what your budget is etc...

For rangefinders in my experience, avoid the cheaper ones from Anaconda and the likes, they dont range well from the outset, and are poorly sealed meaning water and dust will get in to them and kill them off.

ontothepigs
7th January 2015, 02:17 PM
Yeah cheers Myst, just been getting used to tapatalk, thought I had tried a search with not much success, ha ha. Just had another crack at it and there was a bunch.

Also just looking for anyone who had more recent buying experiences and the sort. Easy enough.

Some good posts out there. Def looking for a water resistant/proof. It is definitely looking like you can't skimp.

Has anyone got a redfield or vortex one? I like the bow specific ones that do the incline decline action.

Welky
7th January 2015, 03:46 PM
Spend a bit extra the first time and get that does incline adjustments. I use a Nikon Archers Choice Max and love it, a great bit of gear, well worth the investment.

Slab
7th January 2015, 05:01 PM
I use a Bushnell G Force 1300 ARC for both rifle shooting and archery. Had it for a year or so and I think I paid $450 for it. Used mostly for rifle shooting as it has a built in trajectory chart and gives the hold over for ranged distances. Does have the bow function that gives line of sight distance, degree of elevation, and true horizontal distance. Not too many hills or ranges around my neck of the woods. I use it for everything,rifle shooting, fencing on farm, setting up archery targets, checking ranges at local archery club. Don't have any complaints this end.

ontothepigs
7th January 2015, 08:25 PM
Both good. Advice. From the other posts it is starting to look that way. I will have to start saving more and broaden the search.

Oniddog
7th January 2015, 08:25 PM
Hey slab.
What's the max distance that bushnell have?
I'm looking for a range finder I can use for both rifle & bow aswell.
Looking @ getting into some longe range shooting that I can also use for the bow.

Bladerunner
7th January 2015, 09:30 PM
Ive just ordered a 'Leupold RX Fulldraw DNA" rangefinder. Its archery specific and makes angle compensation readings out to 175yds. It also makes line of sight readings out to 800yds incase you want to take it rifle hunting. Fully waterproof and fogproof. Costs $400.

Cheers

ontothepigs
7th January 2015, 09:32 PM
Good stuff. Who did you get that through? I have been looking at the vortex ones, my binoculars are vortex and the warranty is pretty solid.

Slab
7th January 2015, 09:42 PM
Max distance for my Bushnell is 1300 yards.

Oniddog
8th January 2015, 05:22 AM
Nice.
That's around what I'm after.

Bladerunner
8th January 2015, 06:00 AM
I ordered the Leupold RX Fulldraw through Safari Firearms in Sydney.

Myst
9th January 2015, 12:40 PM
I've got a new Leupold fulldraw for sale at the moment, $340 to your door if you're interested.

ontothepigs
9th January 2015, 01:01 PM
I've got a new Leupold fulldraw for sale at the moment, $340 to your door if you're interested.
What condition is it in? Pic?

Myst
9th January 2015, 01:02 PM
As new mate, never been outside http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/08/b7067628658ecdea6f49d839cfde0e0a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bladerunner
9th January 2015, 03:39 PM
Great price Myst! Unfortunately im committed to mine, but a bargain right there for anyone looking for a top rangefinder.

Myst
9th January 2015, 04:16 PM
Thanks mate

ontothepigs
9th January 2015, 08:50 PM
I would be keen as but managed to blow the aircon compressor in my car this arvo. Great price.

Chris.S
12th January 2015, 09:29 PM
Sooo tempted to buy this rangefinder, damn you myst and your bargain deals :-/

Grosbri
28th August 2015, 01:39 PM
I just received my WGI Halo Z6X rangefinder. Range out to 600meters, water resistant, angle compensation $200 delivered.Haven't had a chance to use it yet, will keep you all posted how it goes.
Update: finally got to get my rangefinder out and try it and on first impressions im very happy. Its its nice and compact, fits in your hand nicely and has clear haze free optics. Its quite simple to use, one button turns it on and ranges and the other changes from yards/meters and angle compensation. The only negatives i have so far is the battery is a odd size (cr2) and the reticle is grey so it can be hard to see in poor light. Taking it for a hunt next week, see how it performs.
Cheers.

stealthzone
29th August 2015, 12:36 AM
Well i bought a cheap pair off ebay, about 2 years ago now and it has been with me hunting with no problem what so ever. These cheaper ones will display a slightly different reading in distance, however in saying that, you set your bow to suit your range finder. Each to their own. If you want to buy a super duper expensive one, go for it. Mine is super cheap and has angles up and down hill etc, same as the expensive ones. So bottom line is personal choice.

Walms
23rd July 2016, 07:26 PM
Thought I would throw my 2 cents worth in. I bought a Vortex Ranger 1000 about a year ago and will never look back. Best rangefinder I have used in that price range. It has a super bright, crisp red reticle. Most other rangies I have used have a black reticle which gets lost in the scrub and bush. The optics are very clear and bright. All backed up by Vortex's lifetime warranty which is second to none. (Dealt with them for a riflescope I ran over with a quadbike and they replaced it).
I got it from Cleaver Firearms for around $450 by memory. Great bit of kit.
Link below
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/ranger-1000-rangefinder

Johnno
27th July 2016, 06:00 PM
Try Lancaster Archery - they often have sales on - I got my Nikon Prostaff 7 at a great price TMD.

CQJim
27th July 2016, 07:21 PM
Stay away from Nikon Aculon if using for hunting. Very hit and miss on whether it will actually give a reading. For example, I was trying to range a pig round 30 m couple days ago, just couldn't get a reading outta it. It wont pick up my rinehart target.