PDA

View Full Version : Tru-Glo Archer's Choice Range Rover Pro bow sight

Merlin8r
20th April 2016, 09:45 PM
This is my first product review, so go easy. I've recently returned to archery after about a 15 year absence. Back then I didn't use sights or a release aid so all this new tech is a revelation to me.

That's the background out of the way. A couple of months ago I scraped up enough to buy myself a PSE Bow Madness but had to settle for a crappy whisker biscuit and a very ordinary 3 pin Fuse sight. I have been gradually replacing the cheap components with good ones, and so now I'm equipped with a QAD Ultra rest and most recently, the Tru-Glo sight.

This is a single pin sight, although it doesn't have any pins as such. Instead it is fitted with a zero power lens with an adjustable brightness green LED in the centre. Other markings on this lens are a straight vertical line through the centre and a circle around the LED. Range is dialled in via a wheel on the side of the sight that is easily operated by one hand. Windage adjustment is made with an excellent clicking micro adjustment dial and held firm with a windage lock. Initial range setting is done by dialling up 20 metres on the sight (the lowest setting) and then adjusting the lens up or down until your arrows match this range. I would have liked a similar adjustment as the windage axis, but instead you loosen two Allen bolts and manually move the lens up or down. There are lines etched on the sight to help with this.

Once dialled in at 20 the archer moves back to 40 metres, dials up 40 on the sight (a temporary range tape is fitted) and fires off arrows. This time just use the range wheel to sight your arrows up or down. Once dialled in at 40 make a mark on the tape under the needle. Then the archer needs to find the packaged range tape that matches the 20 and 40 metre marks on the temporary tape and fit this new one to the sight.

I have found this sight to be absurdly accurate once correctly set up, due in no small part to the tiny dot available in the sight. I have found that in direct sunlight there can be some internal reflections off the lens, but it hasn't been enough to put me off target yet. Also the arc for the range adjustment extends well behind the bow riser and I had to adjust the cable guide to get the sight to sit flush. May be a consideration if you use wider fletches.

I've only taken this sight around my club range a couple of times but have found it deadly accurate out to at least 50 metres. The catch of course is you need to know your range to be accurate. I would have liked the range tapes to be divided into 1 metre increments instead of 5, but there isn't a lot else to fault with this sight.

I hope you find this useful. I paid $329.95 for this sight.

lachypetersen22
20th April 2016, 10:22 PM
Good review, I've been looking at getting the apex gear version (sister company). Roughly how small can you get the dot to go?

Merlin8r
20th April 2016, 10:40 PM
Thanks Lachy. The dot is miniscule. I can't see it in daylight until it's set to 3. I probably use it on 8 most often, and even then it's a fraction of a millimeter across. That was my main reason for choosing this sight, your target is not obscured at all.

lachypetersen22
21st April 2016, 08:04 AM
Thanks Lachy. The dot is miniscule. I can't see it in daylight until it's set to 3. I probably use it on 8 most often, and even then it's a fraction of a millimeter across. That was my main reason for choosing this sight, your target is not obscured at all.

Thanks. And yeah I like the idea of being able to change the dot size and thats why im interested in one.