PDA

View Full Version : Moondyne Ghost Eye 3G Extreme /MMS Trail Camera review

Myst
21st July 2017, 03:03 PM
This will be an ongoing review of the Moondyne Ghost Eye Extreme 3G / MMS trail camera.

This is available from a number of suppliers now, but this one came from Aussie Outback Supplies in Perth WA. We featured is as a new product in the March 2017 issue of Arrowhead, but had little time to run a full field test and review on it. It retails for $499 but you can find it cheaper online.

This is one of very few 3G MMS trail cameras that will work with the Australian telecommuications systems. I've got it connected to the network through a $30 Telstra pre-paid SIM card so am receiving compressed images in real time from the camera. Images dont come off the plan, so it will send as many as it takes without fear of running out of data on the plan.

Have had the camera set up out bush for the last month solid, on a waterhole about 4km from the nearest track and seems to be taking images of pigs, wallabies, and birds with very few false activations. I've previously had it take images of bats in flight. While i dont have the capacity to measure the activation speed, its bloody quick.

The images coming to the phone are a compressed version of what gets taken, while the full resolution image is stored on the camera.

One thing i love about the camera is the instructions are written in plain english (as opposed to engrish) and are very easy to follow.

Stay tuned for more :)

http://aussieoutbacksupplies.com/store/index.php?id_category=34&controller=category

Beleg
21st July 2017, 08:20 PM
This is great mate, have been wanting to know more about this camera.

Interested in battery life in the field from this unit.

Myst
23rd July 2017, 04:52 PM
Hey Beleg,

Camera is still out bush at the moment, but the last time I had it out it got six weeks and about 750 images - its got some clever features built in that when it takes an image, it will test the signal strength and if it sends, great, but if not it goes back to stand-by mode and stores the image on the SD card. It wont keep trying to send the image, which would run down battery life.

Please note that this was with standard alkaline batteries - you could expect considerably more endurance from lithium batteries.

Heres a couple of pics from its last stint out bush - one day time and one night time. The LED array is black, so no visible flash at all. Its also effectively lighting up the trees right up the back from the camera - I ranged them at 39 metres from the camera. Not bad!

Myst
23rd July 2017, 09:09 PM
Figured its worth posting a pic of what the images coming through to the phone look like too. These are a compressed version, while the camera saves the full res images to the SD card.

Myst
30th July 2017, 07:31 PM
Just pulled the Moondyne from out bush. Made a rookie mistake and used an 8gb memory card recording both still images and video, so most of the earlier clips were overwritten.

Have posted a video clip to the daytime video here: https://youtu.be/rROF46KzCyk

And a night time video here: https://youtu.be/33gUkeDMrak

And a few more images

Myst
30th August 2017, 09:13 AM
Nows your chance to get one for free - head over to the Moondyne Facebook page, they are giving away a Tracker trail camera and a 3G Extreme trail camera.

BIGRANG
21st September 2017, 10:40 AM
We've just got these into the shop here in WA, after speaking to the wholesaler I'm pretty keen to see what they can do! He told me spent a considerable amount of time on R&D making sure he got a product that he was happy with which is a nice thing to hear from a supplier! If anyone in WA is chasing them flick me a PM we can do them a fair bit better than the RRP.

Myst
21st September 2017, 10:57 AM
We've just got these into the shop here in WA, after speaking to the wholesaler I'm pretty keen to see what they can do! He told me spent a considerable amount of time on R&D making sure he got a product that he was happy with which is a nice thing to hear from a supplier! If anyone in WA is chasing them flick me a PM we can do them a fair bit better than the RRP.

Jason, the owner/ developer has spent a long time not only sourcing the cameras, but making sure the quality and functionality are top notch. As far as i am concerned, hes done an awesome job - the Extreme 3G MMS is the only trail cam on the Australian market that i am aware of that can be programmed remotely via an app, and the image and video quality is up there with the better known brands, and superior to many of them. I've moved on most of my cams and am now running a mix of these and the Bushnells, havent had any issues with either of them.