PDA

View Full Version : Oilskin Coats

Eagle
14th June 2012, 01:31 AM
Hey all, i have an oilskin full length coat (Sydney Oilskin Co) for close to a year now, it's been rolled up and stored and never worn. I took it out yesterday and decided to start wearing it. It still has all the wax/oil on it so I'm happy that the advise about rolling it up while not using it for a long period works.

Just wanna know any tips about keeping it in tip top shape, i.e which wax to use and how to apply it and tips on how to clean it. I know most will say "look up a website" but I'm interested in tips coming from guys that wear em and use em. Feel free to let me know of your choice of brand (Drizabone etc).

Lastly, after unrolling it I found it to be really crinkly and since I know I can't iron it do I just hang it up to straighten it out or just wear it and let it be?

Cheers!

Warlocke
14th June 2012, 07:38 AM
I have a Drizabone that I have had for over 20 years.

Mine is just hung on a coat hook when not in use and is still in as good a condition as the day I bought it.

Never had to re-wax it and it can hang for up to six months between uses.

Eagle
14th June 2012, 12:48 PM
Hopefully I'll get many years of use just like u Warlocke :)

Big Bill
14th June 2012, 09:49 PM
Keep farm chemicals like super off them ..........Gave a mate one I'd had for years and in a few months it was screwed from being in the Dairy and spreading super etc........

Aussie fallow 1
14th June 2012, 10:12 PM
gday always hung ours always good but saying that walked into my old mans shed yesterday and theres a tin of drizabone old bugger bloody fussy with his stuff have to assume its all right cheers

Eagle
15th June 2012, 04:33 PM
Has anyone found much difference between brands? Is there any brand to steer clear of that anyone had problems with?

assassin
27th June 2012, 04:36 PM
I've had mine for about 25yrs or so. I keep it rolled up when not in use and i've re-oiled it once about 10years ago. I think from memory i used the drizabone wax and had to warm it up to paint it on.:cool:

Huntin' Matty
1st July 2012, 07:58 PM
Yes Drizabone make a re-proofing conditioner that is great. put the tin in a pot of boiling water to turn the wax into oil and paint it on with a brush. if you let the coat lay in the sun for 30 mins beforehand it will open the cotton fibres right up for better penetration. just wear your coat and it will straighten out the wrinkles. You know it needs reproofing when the coat fibres look dry and a bit fuzzy.

bent arrow
1st July 2012, 08:04 PM
I have a Drizabone that I have had for over 20 years.

Mine is just hung on a coat hook when not in use and is still in as good a condition as the day I bought it.

Never had to re-wax it and it can hang for up to six months between uses.

x2 for me