PDA

View Full Version : Banning pig dog hunting

howie
17th July 2012, 07:26 PM
Abc 1 at 7.30pm

Moose2367
17th July 2012, 07:40 PM
Usual crap story with the bias towards the greenies etc and carefully selected crap footage of idiots. Could clearly see the one in the trap get stuck in the heart but they said it was the stomach.

clinton miller
17th July 2012, 07:55 PM
like moose said. blood pumping out is not guts. trouble is the target audience doesn't know any different and believe what they are told.
still the doggers aren't helping their cause and hunting in all forms when they post youtube footage of dogging that crosses the line.
hunting should be fair chase, pig in trap is hardly that.

the usual in this society it seems, an overreaction to a minority doing something they shouldn't and calling for bans.
prosecute the minority, simple.

poeple drink and drive and kill other humans, ban cars???????

Westy
17th July 2012, 08:06 PM
Well guys the ABC is full of Lefty Tree huging Homo's so what did you expect to see there????I'm sure there wouldn't be a fair and level playing feild on the ABC?????Clint good piece mate right on the mark from my prespective!!!!!

GRUMPY
17th July 2012, 08:14 PM
No dogs eh? Guess you`ll be hoofing it with the rest of us then Private. lol

wahcat
17th July 2012, 08:18 PM
Whenever I see a program with comments/interview with Clover Moore, I know its going to be anti everything, fun police, green biased sh1t.

At least she knows she's a dog and wears her collar all the time.

Westy
17th July 2012, 08:20 PM
Whenever I see a program with comments/interview with Clover Moore, I know its going to be anti everything, fun police, green biased sh1t.

At least she knows she's a dog and wears her collar all the time.Oh Wahcat how could you????

GWH
17th July 2012, 08:22 PM
Very typical reporting with a green bias. As usual - the antis want to have their cake and eat it too - they want the feral animals removed but don't want them harmed in the process.....

I use rifles and bows and have done quite a bit of pigging with dogs in the past and will no doubt do more in the future - stories like this do nothing good for 'hunters' in general - It'd be too much to expect a fair and unbiased segment..... reports like this are like statistics - you can make it look evil or very good depending on the content shown - they clearly focussed on the negative during this one and let the couple of very poor clips they found on utube do the talking...

MFOSAMBAR
17th July 2012, 08:39 PM
Anybody got a link to the report? Could not find it on the web.

Brodstar
17th July 2012, 10:37 PM
To be honest - i'd like to think the target audience of the 730 report has the brains to work it out. I think 90% of them would of been "yeah well how else are you going to catch pigs" and the 10% how do get up in arms would already be up in arms about the topic anyway.

Not great publicity - point granted, but I doubt there would be any movement from the for or against camps in general.

Had the report been on A Current Affair, the 7pm project or Today Tonight where the plots lines are over fabricated for the masses used to "engineered news/current affairs stories" I would be a little worried

Thats my 2 cents anyway

Winchy
18th July 2012, 12:03 AM
All these BullS**t stories just fuel the average city slickers mind into thinking we are all cruel inhumane people!!! I bet none of them know how many Lambs, kid goats, wallabies and other native flora and fauna get destroyed By the introduced pig!!
NONE of these reports ever show the positives just the negative..
Regards Winchy

alienjaycee
18th July 2012, 07:46 AM
I agree,Hunting with Dogs should not be allowed.

Its a disgrace that its still being used.

To have an animal torn to shreds by a Dog is cruel and un-sportman like.

Each to there own though,i do respect people's decision to use Dogs,but i don not condone it.

jindydiver
18th July 2012, 08:22 AM

Each to there own though,i do respect people's decision to use Dogs,but i don not condone it.

That's the way, don't go letting your ignorance stop you from having your say. FFS, you say you respect their decisions but in the same breath you call them a "disgrace", "cruel" and "un-sportsmanlike".

It is already illegal to allow your dog to "tear to shreds" the pigs, and pig hunting with dogs (following the code of practice adhered to by members of APDHA) is as legal and humane as any other legal hunting including bowhunting.

When you stand up and call for the banning of someone else's hunting because you don't agree with it you are exactly the same as the anti's and deep Greens who call for the banning of ALL hunting just because they don't agree with it. For that matter you are just the same as those Tasmanian rifle hunters who campaigned successfully to have bowhunting of game banned in Tasmania.

With friends like you, who needs enemies

alienjaycee
18th July 2012, 08:57 AM
That's the way, don't go letting your ignorance stop you from having your say. FFS, you say you respect their decisions but in the same breath you call them a "
It is already illegal to allow your dog to "tear to shreds" the pigs, and pig hunting with dogs (following the code of practice adhered to by members of APDHA) is as legal and humane as any other legal hunting including bowhunting.

When you stand up and call for the banning of someone else's hunting because you don't agree with it you are exactly the same as the anti's and deep Greens who call for the banning of ALL hunting just because they don't agree with it. For that matter you are just the same as those Tasmanian rifle hunters who campaigned successfully to have bowhunting of game banned in Tasmania.

With friends like you, who needs enemies

It seems that you dont understand the situation ( my fault ) so if i may,let me clarify it for you.

I clearly posted :

"Each to there own though,i do respect people's decision to use Dogs,but i do not condone it"

Please respect my decision not to agree with the Sport as i respect your decision to participate.

I have seen excatly what happens to a Living Breathing Functional animal went set-upon by Dogs,so lets not stray from the fact that it is a quite Violent and Graphic way of hunting.

I do appologise for the use of words "disgrace", "cruel" and "un-sportsmanlike",but i will not condone anything that i feel is cruel and quite barbaric.

Its obvious to see that the Sport has been sanctioned and 'cleaned-up' but by no means condoned and in finalisation,Publically Unaccepatable.

I lived in Tassie for 6 years and was a regular Deer Hunter.

The reason that BowHunting was made Illegal is the simple fact of numbers.EVERY1 hunts in Tassie.The sheer amount of Lic and Un-Lic FA owners is huge.

Its really a matter of the 'Old Boys Club' down there,who want the sport to remain the 'Sport Of Kings' and only available to a select few.....if you attend an ADA meeting down there you will know exactly what i mean !

Take a look at Gunns,for example.Most of the hunting is on private land,but i can bet my left one that most Gunns Officals and others associated with Gunns get more tags than any1 else.

As explained,please respect my decision to disagree,as i respect your decision to participate.

Sorry for the use of words.

Thanks.

Moose2367
18th July 2012, 09:45 AM
You apologise for using the word cruel, then use it in the same sentence describing your opinion!

It's no more 'cruel' than any other hunter putting in a bad shot, be it by rifle or arrow. The only thing that people don't like is sound of a small boar or a sow squealing it's head off. That is the main thing that upsets people.

I sent an e-mail into the ABC, not that they'll take any notic of course, asking why they ddn't ask for the people wanting to ban it for their solution in the cane grass, poisoning, sure the anti's would like that too hey, doggin is the only effective method in that type of country.

Comments like these make it harder for ALL hunting, and one of the reasons i hardly came on here for a while. Any hunter who puts down another type of hunting because THEY don't like it will help the antis end ALL forms of hunting in the future.

How do you feel about people saying bowhunting is cruel when an animal is found with an arrow hanging out of it? We know the real story, **** happens sometimes. Same as there is footage of people doing the wrong thing whilst dogging, no difference at all, just YOUR opinion.

We can shoot targets to practice, dogs need training and the ONLY way is to let them hang on a pig in controlled circumstances so they learn what to do, then they have less chance of being hurt, can't do that on a target or a dummy for them hey. People just need to be smart and not upload it to youtube for the anti's to grab onto.

alienjaycee
18th July 2012, 10:14 AM
Simple typo on the cruel explanation.

I think we are getting way-off-centre here,as this is a very heated and personal debate.

The way Pig Hunting is carried out is quite simplistic.The Pig is found,held down by the Dog via Jaw and Teeth,and then finalised by the Hunter.

Screams aside,lets look at that last sentence 'held down by the Dog via Jaw and Teeth'.

Simplistic terms,the Dog has been clearly trained and instructed by the owner to attack the animal.

Let make that word clear 'attacked'.

Hunting-wise,acceptable,but by whom ?

In my opinion,its classed as the same as hunting with a Spear or a Handgun.Inadequate and out-dated.

The use of a vicious animal to hold down another animal,violently,is not condoned in todays society.

Period.

Wether it should continue or not is in the eyes of the beholder,but if it came down to a Referendum,game over.

I have stated many times that it is only a matter of time that Compound Bows will need to be Registered and Lic.

Hunting with them.....well.....time will tell.

Just ask UK Archers on what has happened over there...

Thanks.

Moose2367
18th July 2012, 10:58 AM
Simple typo on the cruel explanation.
More like passive aggressive, no typo there.
I think we are getting way-off-centre here,as this is a very heated and personal debate.
Not heated, just narrow minded by some.
The way Pig Hunting is carried out is quite simplistic.The Pig is found,held down by the Dog via Jaw and Teeth,and then finalised by the Hunter.
And? What would you like them to do instead, let the dog hold it till it overheats and dies. Jaw and teeth, what other way does a dog have to do it?

Screams aside,lets look at that last sentence 'held down by the Dog via Jaw and Teeth'.

Simplistic terms,the Dog has been clearly trained and instructed by the owner to attack the animal.

Let make that word clear 'attacked'.
Same as all hunters, we 'attack' with an arrow. Maybe you should just 'attack' paper targets

Hunting-wise,acceptable,but by whom ?
Umm, more people would hunt with dogs in this country than bowhunt, don't try to ignore that

In my opinion,its classed as the same as hunting with a Spear or a Handgun.Inadequate and out-dated.
We hunt with spears, they're just flung from a bow. What about all the indigenous in hundreds of countries that hunt with spears still, or is that ok?

The use of a vicious animal to hold down another animal,violently,is not condoned in todays society.

Period.
Obviously it is condoned, it's legal. Good hunting dog's aren't vicious, they are working dogs. I trusted my dog's when i hunted with them, around my daughter more than my mums poodle.

Wether it should continue or not is in the eyes of the beholder,but if it came down to a Referendum,game over.
Don't think so, look how well the greens are going now. Plus hunting has just been allowed in NP's.

I have stated many times that it is only a matter of time that Compound Bows will need to be Registered and Lic.
Maybe, what's that got to do with dog hunting?

Hunting with them.....well.....time will tell.

Just ask UK Archers on what has happened over there...

Thanks.

It's people like you, who criticise LEGAL forms of hunting whilst supposedly being a hunter themselves, divide the hunting community.

All forms of hunting other than what you like and participate in should be banned. Stop being so ignorant and trying to change things just because YOU don't like it. There's a lot of things i have no interest in or don't like, but someone else does and that is their right, who am i to try and take it away from them if it's legal.

alienjaycee
18th July 2012, 11:43 AM
It's people like you, who criticise LEGAL forms of hunting whilst supposedly being a hunter themselves, divide the hunting community.

All forms of hunting other than what you like and participate in should be banned. Stop being so ignorant and trying to change things just because YOU don't like it. There's a lot of things i have no interest in or don't like, but someone else does and that is their right, who am i to try and take it away from them if it's legal.

Well written,emotional,shallow,pointless with a touch of hyper-critical inaccuracy and incomplete statements.

I will just leave all this where it stands.

Thanks.

jindydiver
18th July 2012, 12:36 PM
Just what hunting needs, ignorant holier than though fifth columnist spreading horse manure

wahcat
18th July 2012, 01:55 PM
Oh Wahcat how could you????

Westy your lucky your in QLD and dont have to put up with her.

Sinners121
18th July 2012, 02:12 PM
i dont think pig dog hunting to be cruel, the dogs run off and the hunter is right behind them and the hunter is usually to the pig within 15 seconds. i wouldn't call that cruel personally.

special
18th July 2012, 02:24 PM
At least she knows she's a dog and wears her collar all the time.

Too true...

wahcat
18th July 2012, 02:33 PM
What I think some people didn't like in the story last night was the way the pigs squealed and was frightened/terrified/scared of the dogs before its death. The part of it being frightened/terrified/scared for x number of seconds before death was the main upsetting factor. At least with a gun or bow the pig does not know whats coming and is not frightened/terrified/scared.

This is only my humble opinion and I'm not spreading manure on anyone.

special
18th July 2012, 02:34 PM
I didnt see the program, But I couldnt give a rats about whether or not pig dogging is ethical...Previously weve had issues with doggers cutting or driving over fences to chase their dogs across several properties and leaving/losing dogs that attack stock..Naturaly all dogs that dont belong are shot on sight,collar or not...But its been pretty good around here lately..Most of them are dogging deeper in the SF's and leaving the private properties alone...While they dont affect me I dont care.
There seems to be more doggers 'getting off'on filming their dogs on a pig for ages instead of making a quick kill...It doesnt help their cause,But each to their own I guess.

Huntin' Matty
18th July 2012, 04:44 PM
Alienjaycee, I think your a greenie who has penetrated our ranks. Have you even hunted a day in your life? Do you know what farmers who have pigs destroying their property, stock, and crops go through every day seeing their investments get eaten up and shat out the other end? Probably not, seeing as dogging is the most effective way in a lot of areas to catch otherwise weary creatures that are predominantly nocturnal. If you knew anything about nature, you would know that dogs and their ancestors have been hunting pigs even longer than humans have. Why do you think it was humans that adopted dogs as hunting and companions?? Because they are soo bloody good at what they do. So next time open your eyes, not your ears, or your mouth for that matter.

Happy hunting!
(however that may be)

Sparra
18th July 2012, 05:15 PM
:):) Sure doesn't pay to have an opinion in this thread...

Winchy
18th July 2012, 06:12 PM
Pig Hunting in my books is extremely effective!! With all hunting though there are a few idiots that try to wreck it for the rest of us..
Youtube vid's dont help the cause in my opinion because the average joe from the city see's dogs and hunters chasing there quarry down and a few loud squeels and its all too much for them.. I reckon its a shame that the people that dont condone pig hunting most likely havent even experienced it themselves..
The crew i dog pigs with are extremely swithched on to all situations that arise and all the dogs are very well trained making quick kills 100% of the time..
regards Winchy

jindydiver
18th July 2012, 06:31 PM
:):) Sure doesn't pay to have an opinion in this thread...
Opinions are great, and we all have a right to them whatever they may be, but when you give voice to an anti-hunting stance on a hunting site you should expect some people will have an issue with it.

Astro Boy
18th July 2012, 06:54 PM

You know what I think?
I think you should take you opinions elsewhere, I'm sure animals Australia would welcome them.
Who the hell do you think you are coming on a hunting site and slagging off at fellow hunters. Dogging may have its problems but so do all forms of hunting in this day and age, talk like that Sh!ts me no end.
Why don't you post something positive about hunting, a story or some useful information.
60% of what I read on this site is just BS opinions about crap.
I put up with prick relations telling me I'm cruel and heartless and then I come on here and read this load tripe.

joel
18th July 2012, 07:08 PM
Its a dreadful death rattle for our community once we have this much disagreement, safety in numbers.
Its a slippery slippery slope once the red ban pen gets inked up.

GRUMPY
18th July 2012, 09:47 PM
Opened a real can of worms here.Thats what i like about JOEL and a few others.

Always keeps a cool head.

lambo
18th July 2012, 10:08 PM
I went pig dogging once, didn't like it that's why I bowhunt. Dogging pigs is very effective wether anyone likes it or not and there are tossers involved in all hunting methods, that will not change, niether will the anti's focus on using the tossers footage and photo's to their benefit.
I'm going bowhunting on the weekend but I doubt a dogger will be laying $hit on me for doing it.

alienjaycee
19th July 2012, 08:23 AM
Alienjaycee, I think your a greenie who has penetrated our ranks. Have you even hunted a day in your life? Do you know what farmers who have pigs destroying their property, stock, and crops go through every day seeing their investments get eaten up and shat out the other end? Probably not, seeing as dogging is the most effective way in a lot of areas to catch otherwise weary creatures that are predominantly nocturnal. If you knew anything about nature, you would know that dogs and their ancestors have been hunting pigs even longer than humans have. Why do you think it was humans that adopted dogs as hunting and companions?? Because they are soo bloody good at what they do. So next time open your eyes, not your ears, or your mouth for that matter.

Happy hunting!
(however that may be)

Reply deleted in the best interest of the site and members.

Gotta keep it fair !

jason
19th July 2012, 08:58 AM
Alienjaycee that really does not compete with reading about it on the net...:D:D
As 2 wise doggers told me last week in cunnamulla "f off and stop wasting our income with your bows u c.." the fact they were on the main road running their dogs into the property only we have access to did not bother them.

Jamey Sharwood
19th July 2012, 09:13 AM
Ban it more trophy boars for the bowhunters

Sinners121
19th July 2012, 09:34 AM
wether you agree with it or not, if they take dogging away then the anti's will most certainly be trying a lot more to ban another form of hunting!!! we have to stand together as a hunting community or we will all loose what we love and if you dont believe that this will happen just look at the crossbow community in W.A. the rest of the community left them out to dry and now we cannot even touch a crossbow unless you got an exemption before they made them illegal and cannot hunt with them.

joel
19th July 2012, 09:41 AM
You bloody fools can't see the forest threw the trees.
Ban dogging, give the greens a big confidence boost to start attacking bows next. This country just doesn't get it.

K.Williams
19th July 2012, 09:44 AM
You bloody fools can't see the forest threw the trees.
Ban dogging, give the greens a big confidence boost to start attacking bows next. This country just doesn't get it. thats because there a few noodles short of a chow mein ..lol.

howie
25th July 2012, 09:31 PM
Did I open a tin of worms by any chance?

MickZ
25th July 2012, 09:49 PM
saw a lion tear up a buff on tv today

xforcebaby
26th July 2012, 10:10 AM
saw a lion tear up a buff on tv today

Mick has hit the nail on the head, i dont believe for one second pig dogging to be cruel, its what happens in the wild, its what some left wing 'greenies' vote for when they want predator animals left alone or introduced into the wild, they stand for a natural balance yet deny man's right to also partake...hypocrisy.

The anti pig dogging argument falls apart when we site the fact that we already have wild dogs, dingo's and are seeing a larger number of feral dogs coming about in Australia to date, what do we think they are doing? eating leaves, or pulling down animals and pulling them apart. There is no difference at all except THE QUICK AND HUMANE THRUST OF A KNIFE INTO THE ANIMAL (pig) TO CAUSE IT TO EXPIRE QUICKER THAN THE TWO OR THREE DOGS THAT WILL EVENTUALLY KILL IT.

I mean seriously, its what happens in the wild, its a natural order for predator animals to do this, the only difference is that man is involved and speeding up the death process which can counter the ridiculous argument against pig dogging.

As for some who dog doing illegal things, so would some bowhunters, rifle hunters and GREENIES with whatever they do, lets not attack doggin because of bad representations.

As for the screaming, pigs scream at anything, they scream when they are startled or having fun, it doesnt necessarily denote they are in pain.

alienjaycee
26th July 2012, 10:20 AM
Classic statement from the QLD DPI.Code Of Practice.

Emphasis on the Bold Letters.

The code does cover the animal welfare aspects of:

culling
humane destruction
capture and handling
use of traps
accommodation and handling facilities
food and water
health and routine inspections
transportation
domestication and management practices
poisons used in feral livestock animal control
firearms and ammunition suitable for the humane destruction of livestock feral animals
specific requirements for capture and handling of different species
using dogs to capture feral pigs.
The code describes instances when it is acceptable to use trained dogs to hunt feral pigs. It is essential that hunters become familiar with the code's requirements for using dogs to hunt feral pigs. These include:

ensuring hunters are experienced and use only a properly trained dog that responds to the commands of the operator to locate and flush a feral pig in thick cover
ensuring dogs do not harass pigs,attack and bring down feral pigs
ensuring pigs are humanely killed.
The code does not cover the use of dogs to bail up or hold pigs. In most circumstances it should be acceptable for dogs to bail up pigs (without making contact with them) until the hunter arrives to kill the pig.
However, the ACPA puts an obligation on landholders and hunters not to cause any animal unjustifiable, unnecessary or unreasonable pain.
The holding of pigs by dogs can inflict terrible injuries to the pig as well as being a significant injury risk to the dog and is not recommended. So although dogs can be helpful in locating and flushing out pigs, their use to attack or bring down pigs is unacceptable. Any significant terrorising or wounding of the pig by a dog would raise questions on how reasonable that action was.
Welfare of hunting dogsHunters have a duty of care to the dogs in their charge. Dogs used for hunting should be protected by chest and neck armour made of appropriate material such as Kevlar, leather or chain mail.
Dogs may sustain injuries from the pig or during the chase. Steps need to be taken to minimise these risks. Any injuries must be treated promptly and appropriately.
Who has a duty of care to feral livestock animals and who should be familiar with the feral livestock animal welfare code?Anyone who owns, manages, transports or handles feral livestock may have a legal duty of care and is responsible for ensuring acceptable welfare standards for the animals in their charge. This includes:

professional hunters
recreational hunters
stock managers
stock handlers
contractors
national parks staff
saleyard agents
veterinarians
processors
transporters
feral animal control operators
land holders

MickZ
26th July 2012, 11:53 AM
seen some nasty ways to go out on many nature documentaries, no doubt like everyone else on here, many of it involves being torn to shreds and eaten alive, would prefer a blade or arrow myself anyday.

Moose2367
26th July 2012, 11:55 AM
You do know that's not law don't you. It's a code of conduct/practice, most departments, organisations have them.

Here's one for example.

http://apdha.org.au/index.php?page=code-of-conduct

You do know that hunters of all types, gun, dogs, bow etc NEED to respect and support each other, regardless ofwhether YOU like the way they do things. Ultimately the antis want ALL hunting banned, if we don't stick together they may well succeed eventually.

Stop being so righteous and thinking your veiws are the be all and end all.

Moose2367
28th July 2012, 09:39 PM
Here is why, the antis were behind the story that this thread is about.

http://animal-lib.org.au/news-events/latest-news/312-pig-dogging-expose.html

http://www.unleashed.org.au/take_action/stop-pig-dogging/

Found while trying to get info or past 'customers' of the journalist who posted here and other forums.

wahcat
28th July 2012, 10:14 PM
Cant believe this thread is STILL going on and on and on.

This is my personal opinion and I am not spreading manure on anyone.

Moose2367
28th July 2012, 10:29 PM
It had gone, but like i said, found something relevant while lookig for other things, my bad :)

Moreton
29th July 2012, 01:38 PM
No matter what the subject, if you believe something is true or hold a strong opinion, maintain the courage to say it loud and clear and NEVER EVER give in to bullies and/or cowards who don't like what you're saying...just my 2 cents.
If more folk were willing to voice unpopular opinions in this country worms like Alan Jones could never rise to prominence. The more your detractors bleat, the more likely it is that you're onto something worthwhile, I reckon, even if that something worthwhile was just the task of upsetting bleaters!

Huntfit
30th July 2012, 06:23 PM
Alienjaycee, I offered to help you with your endeavors with your turkey hunting concept, offer is RESCINDED, do not contact me.