PDA

View Full Version : London Olympics 2012

anti-Green
13th August 2012, 10:21 AM
Ok, no archery gold for Oz. Despite the whinging of the media about the swimmers not getting their usual swag of gold, we still came 10th, still great for a relatively small country. Just our swimmers didn't get as much gold as we're used to. Still, getting anywhere near Olympics is a huge win. Plus other countries are really getting thier act together (China, Hungary, etc); we can't expect to win all the time. Was good to see some gold for Oz in some different sports such as sailing, kayak, etc.

I think the money spent is OK. Theres a lot of whinging about this, but the money is still small when you compare it to how much the government wastes on CRAP!

Your thoughts? Think I just lit a firecracker thread!

lenbow
13th August 2012, 11:41 AM
I thought the olympics were great.It was great to see the mother country do so well and do such a good job with the games. I also liked that the US stopped the commies from coming first on the medal table. And a big well done to all our Aussie athletes.

wahcat
13th August 2012, 11:50 AM
I'm personally glad they are over. I did not enjoy 9's TV coverage.

Oniddog
13th August 2012, 12:03 PM
Track & field is my fav, so I had to wate a week to see all my events.
BMX was pretty cool

When the poms bought all our coaches & sports doctors it was gonna be a tall ask.
$$$$$ speaks louder than patriotism which sux!
The yanks do well cos they throw a mountain of $$$$ to produce awesome athletes , same with the rest of the bigger nations!
We are known as a sporting nation, the Gov needs show some love & put some $$$$ back in not just when the big show is in our backyard!

phantom bowhunter
13th August 2012, 01:51 PM
I'm personally glad they are over. I did not enjoy 9's TV coverage.

Yeah mate there has been quite a few complaints about it

Magilla
14th August 2012, 07:19 AM
Track & field is my fav, so I had to wate a week to see all my events.
BMX was pretty cool

When the poms bought all our coaches & sports doctors it was gonna be a tall ask.
$$$$$ speaks louder than patriotism which sux!
The yanks do well cos they throw a mountain of $$$$ to produce awesome athletes , same with the rest of the bigger nations!
We are known as a sporting nation, the Gov needs show some love & put some $$$$ back in not just when the big show is in our backyard!

The Gov does put a lot of money back into sport. Population of Australia is only about 24 million yet we had the third largest team at the games. Losing a lot of our top coach's to overseas did hurt us in the medal count but you can't blame them for chasing the money, looking after their families will always come before Ausie gold.

joel
14th August 2012, 08:21 AM
I'm personally glad they are over. I did not enjoy 9's TV coverage.i dread it every 4 years, can't stand the Olympics. Seeing over paid toffee nosed pricks cry and whine as they get a silver lol. So much bad sportsmanship. And i find most of the sports as boring as watching the grass grow. X games ftw!

Rich
14th August 2012, 06:46 PM
This is an interesting link.

http://www.medalspercapita.com/

Medals per head of population pool.
It also does it versus GDP.

The apprentice
14th August 2012, 09:45 PM
the mother country???? i dont know about you fellas im aussie sure arnt no pom! the sooner we become a republic the better IMO

anti-Green
16th August 2012, 02:05 PM
the mother country???? i dont know about you fellas im aussie sure arnt no pom! the sooner we become a republic the better IMO

Oh yeah, its just sooooooooooooooooo oppressive. Can't wait to have Gillard as President, eh?

The apprentice
23rd August 2012, 02:12 AM
well yeah out of our two options surely would love to see gillard president over abott :). And its not about being opresive or not im sick of having some one elses flag on our flag. Our national colours are green and gold yet our flag is red white and blue?? Where not second class poms we're aussies :)

anti-Green
31st August 2012, 05:23 PM
Holland has a RWB tricolour flag but their national colour is orange. Depends whats on the wreath on the national coat of arms, not necessarliy the flag. Im happy with the flag we have and certainly dont want any of the multicoloured hurls that have been proposed. Australia's heritage is prodminantly British and proud of that. Without the British there would have been no Australia the way we know it.

The apprentice
1st September 2012, 12:00 AM
mate appart from colonise us what have the brits done for us? All i see is near on 100,000 war dead for 'the mother country'. And yet Winston Churchill still tried to send our best troops to defend India against Japanese invasion when Australia itself was close to getting invaded! yeah theyve done heaps and care about us lots :/ So what if we have Bristish heritage. We arnt British never will be and bloody proud of that. We need a flag of our own!!!!

Oniddog
1st September 2012, 02:35 AM
mate appart from colonise us what have the brits done for us? All i see is near on 100,000 war dead for 'the mother country'. And yet Winston Churchill still tried to send our best troops to defend India against Japanese invasion when Australia itself was close to getting invaded! yeah theyve done heaps and care about us lots :/ So what if we have Bristish heritage. We arnt British never will be and bloody proud of that. We need a flag of our own!!!!

BaNg !

anti-Green
1st September 2012, 07:48 AM
All i see is near on 100,000 war dead for 'the mother country'.

All volunteers. Australia was probably the only purely volunteer force in WW1. And we rejected conscription.

And yet Winston Churchill still tried to send our best troops to defend India against Japanese invasion when Australia itself was close to getting invaded! yeah theyve done heaps and care about us lots

That was one man, not everyone in Britain.

lenbow
1st September 2012, 12:49 PM
Those 100,000 dead didn't die for Britian they died fighting for a free world.And lets face it, without Britian there would not be an Australia as we know it, they built this country from scratch,

The apprentice
2nd September 2012, 06:43 AM
I know we voluntered mate my great great uncle was an anzac do know a thing or to about Australian military history. To the average country boy in 1914 who had never travelled more than 10ks from where he was born events happening in Serbia Austro Hungrary Belgium and France most of them joined up for England and 'the empire' not as you say for a free world. Im not debating which country sent its convicts half way around the world to make more room in its crowded jails, just wondering why we still hold them in so much revernce? To the 'British' Australian flag Great Britain and The royal family Australia says NO!!

joel
2nd September 2012, 03:53 PM
our next flag will be red with some stars on it.