Trophy Takers
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fresh or aged Venison

Got talking to the local butcher today. He was curious as to why my meat purchases had slowed to almost nothing. (Just buying salami and the like) So I told him my freezer was full of Venison. We got chatting and it turns out he likes a bit of venison, so I promised him a tasty cut of whatever I catch next. Anyways, the conversation got around to ageing and so forth. He told me an interesting fact and I guess he would have some idea, being a butcher for 40 years and all. But he reckons the best meat, is meat taken off the animal immediately and then cooked and eaten. I've always thought ageing it for 5-8 days was the way to go, but his thoughts were that within 12 hours, adrenaline leeches into the meat and toughens it.

Thinking about it, one of the nicest bits of Venison I have had is from a Deer I shot and cooked some meat from within 5 hours of it being taken.

So... what are your thoughts?
    dunno bout that one, im not sure adrenalin getting into the meat once its bled. i told my butcher about getting a heap of meat from hunting and he wasnt happy lol
    APA Mamba M6, 73#/30

Glass more and you'll find more!

Find me on Youtube at: http://www.youtube.com/user/bowhuntz2?feature=mhee
    If we whack a nice eater in the morning we try and get a leg into a camp oven that night, it is always melt in your mouth. This is with fallow, we have done the same with rabbits and ended up chewing squash balls LOL

I am wondering how your butcher thinks the adrenaline gets from the gland (up near the kidneys) to the meat after the animal is dead?
    It is my understanding that hanging wild meat (that isn't cooled immediately after killing) helps to avoid eating while the meat is under the effect of rigor.
    I for one do not hang Venison. Makes it tougher I believe. Once on the ground I bone it out, get it home, cut it how I want and freeze.
    We never have venison we can't chew.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go.
    Others stay for awhile and leave foot prints on our ass
    and we are never the same.
    i think this would be ok with young animals but i have tried this on a old stag (sambar) and my chainsaw would have had trouble cutting through it lol.
    when we kill a beast i always cook a steak up for myself and the on farm butcher , i reckon it's the best way of telling how good the meat of that beast is, deer i like to hang for up to 2weeks
    some interesting ideas so far, keep em coming.

My first fallow was hung whole in a shed for a week in the middle of winter and in a massive sheet to keep things of it, then the legs were hung for a further week then butchered and all we needed to eat the staeks were forks, the weight of the meat was enough to tear it apart!
    Elite Z28 64# draw length 30"

no aging?

I'd steer clear of that Bozo!

Any butcher that doesnt know what aging does for meat, isn't much of a butcher!
    Treat it like a fish. Eat as soon as possible is the way I prefer.
    My level of maturity depends on who I'm with.

I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement & physics.

Dont thank me for being nice to you.... Thank the doctors that prescribe the medication that keeps me from shaking the stupid out of you!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pruneemac View Post
    I'd steer clear of that Bozo!

Any butcher that doesnt know what aging does for meat, isn't much of a butcher!
    Yeah... I'll let him know his 40 years experience means nothing............. I'm sure he'll be gutted to know you feel that way..........

Perhaps I didn't articulate myself in enough detail. His point was, that if it is taken off and eaten almost immediately, that it will be even more tender than when aged. His point being, if it is left more than a few hours, then it needs to be aged, but if taken off and consumed straight away, it will be more tender than being aged. I hope that gives you a clearer understanding of what he was getting at?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast