Severn River Park
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sambar Fever, a self diagnosis

How would you know if you have sambar fever?

Its 2am in the morning, and ive just pulled up in Tarago State Forest, strapped on my tree stand and pack to my back, grabbed my bow and started the hike in to a spot that i know holds sambar to climb a tree and wait for first light.

Im wearing a supposedly 'breathable' and waterproof camo jacket, its winter and by the time i reach the tree i find im soaked in sweat!

Yep, the 'breathable' jacket was anything but breathable....i dont have a spare shirt, i climb the tree, get setup and my body temperature starts to drop...so too does the completely soaked shirt.

Im cold, very cold, i start shivering as the time seems to go so slowly, i beg for the morning sun to break through the trees and give me a little love, i wont go home, yet my mind is telling me that this is horrific and stupid, im so cold i cant bear it, yet i stay....at 10 am i climb down, pack up and hike out, yep, i have sambar fever.

Ive been clean now for months, work took me away and i havent much returned, i must say, my mind constantly returns though, what if they did come past, just one more sit.

Ive got a few more, but im interested in hearing yours if you know what i mean.
    APA Mamba M6, 73#/30

Glass more and you'll find more!

Find me on Youtube at: http://www.youtube.com/user/bowhuntz2?feature=mhee
    Watching the weather go from greasy-slippery (as it had rained) to fairly insistent hail in the space of about 40 mins- as the clouds which looked so far away ended up feeling much closer.

I was so far in the bush at this point, it was academic. I donned every bit of clothing and started the walk back. Trying to stay upright and walk, without falling on by bow or breaking ribs, and at the same time retain my sense of direction whilst being in the middle of a cloud -- I had the distinct sensation god was laughing at me.

This hunt ended with the hail stopping, temperature dropping by about 5 degrees in as many minutes, and the only time I have been snowed on in recent years whilst sambar hunting. The major ingredients of that night's dinner were coffee and whiskey.

On reflection, sambar hunting can be a complicated form of suicide, if one is not careful. Madness is a necessary part of the equation.
    Last edited by teed; 7th May 2013 at 01:30 PM.
    I don't know if this story qualifies or not... But.............A few weeks ago I spent a few days down on the eastern Vic coast doing a bit of fishing and hoping to find a Hog Deer or 2 and one afternoon while investigating areas I'd never been to before I came across a good sized creek that was easily navigatable by Canoe though being a bit late in the afternoon I decided not to put the Canoe in the water but to get back to camp and get ready for the night..........A day or two previously I had met up with three Rifle hunters out looking for Trophy Hoggy heads and around the camp fire that night I got the idea of offering one of them to sit gunshot in the canoe while I paddled.........I didn't go to them with the idea as I'd had a few Beers by then so I decided to explore the creek by myself the next morning..............Next morning I was down on the water just after first light and paddling the creek.........As I was on an unfamiliar stretch of water I was closely looking for snags and submerged hazards as well as scanning the banks for any critters as much as I could.........I'd paddled for perhaps half an hour like this when I rounded a bend and found myself confronted by Tea Tree growing up out of the water and was focused on where I should paddle to avoid the Tea Tree and snags along the banks of the creek when I coughed, this was immediately Answered by a loud Honk and I looked up to my left and saw maybe 40 yards away on a clearish lighty bracken covered bank a large Sambar quickly making his way up the bank.................I cursed to myself and then cursed again as I realised had someone been in the front of of the boat like I was thinking, there would have been a very high chance of have a deer in the canoe that day....The geography of the place would have given a shooter a perfect shot op from where I coughed and I recon even a good shot from a bow was on too........Not fever I know Doz but more frustration yes......
    I've yet to hunt deer as I don't have an R licence yet, I have been busy/lazy. But it sounds like fun to me.
    A mate and i had another spot to sit, fresh sign they passed this way was right before us and it was thick, but it was wet. I spotted a wallow in a muddy murky spot just on the other side of a creek, we sat with a good line of sight not 15 yards from a shot at the area open to the wallow.

The area was enclosed by huge ferns that blacked out the last light, it was soaked, everything was wet and muddy as, we sat there, and then got hammered by mozzies, in the mud, in the wet, looking at that one spot.....then dark came in, we never moved, or made a peep.

My butt went numb sitting on a wet fallen tree, yet i seldom moved, nor took my big eyes off that wallow...light was gone, we looked over at each other and went about putting up the game cams....not a complaint..not one...
    APA Mamba M6, 73#/30

Glass more and you'll find more!

Find me on Youtube at: http://www.youtube.com/user/bowhuntz2?feature=mhee
    Quote Originally Posted by teed View Post
    On reflection, sambar hunting can be a complicated form of suicide, if one is not careful. Madness is a necessary part of the equation.
    Totally agree! A couple of years ago I hunted down from 1500m elevation in soft, thick, quiet, dry snow to 600m where it turned to complete crap and soaked me through to the skin. Gortex boots are no match for an inch of rain running down your legs and filling up your boots. Had a big 28"to 30" stag at 40m but couldn't seal the deal. Ended up hiking 3 hours through a foot of snow back to camp soaking wet and freezing cold, couldn't feel my toes for almost 3 months after that but having that big stag look over his shoulder at me and then disappear over the edge into the abyss has me hooked for life! XForce you may have been clean for a couple of months but you will always relapse, It's incurable!!!!

Bert.
    Last edited by Hunterbyname&bynature; 7th May 2013 at 08:22 PM.
    ADA Member
    ADA Accredited Scorer

#70 Bear Anarchy
    #70 PSE Axe-6
    I will bet the stag was out of the wet.

Which was smarter; stag or hunter?
    This stuff is sensational and also addictive. I hear ya about those so called breathables and waiting so desperately for those first rays of sunlight.
    Keep the stories coming and we could write a book.
    Carl
    Live to hunt and Hunt to live
    Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    This stuff is sensational and also addictive. I hear ya about those so called breathables and waiting so desperately for those first rays of sunlight.
    Keep the stories coming and we could write a book.
    Carl
    Shot taken by Trevor Willis and videoed by me from the tree stand.
    The best bowhunting moment for me to date.
    Live to hunt and Hunt to live
    Quote Originally Posted by teed View Post
    I will bet the stag was out of the wet.

Which was smarter; stag or hunter?
    He was freshening up a rub after the rain! Absolutely no doubt who is smarter. Hunter went home empty handed but happy

Bert
    ADA Member
    ADA Accredited Scorer

#70 Bear Anarchy
    #70 PSE Axe-6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast