Mathews Chill R
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Best Bloody Weekend In Ages

Well Like most of us in S.E.Queensland last Friday was a wet miserable and cold day, not at all the sort of day we were going to get out and take a 4hr trip to go hunting! Well after much persistence and plenty of nagging from Dennis we were in the car and on the road to the best hunting property that I have ever had the pleasure to hunt over the last 30+ years. The property is a little smaller now days as it covered over 23500acres in the past but through the years has been reduced to only 2000 acres of bow hunting paradise, John the owner and his wife Shirley were there to meet us and let me and Dennis know the new rules of the property which included no Rifles (Bit of a Bugger) and no jumping the fences but with the game on his property that wasn’t a issue!!!! After a quick unpack and a change of gear it was out in the pissing rain and mud for a quick recon, amazing how much things still looked the same after 25 years absence from this property. Wet to the bone and starting to feel the effects of the cold we gave into our need for a feed and a warm bed, the rain still continued through the night and early into the next morning. Around 7:00am we rolled out and picked up were we had left off, waste deep in wet grass and mud and wet through, Bloody Rain! Around lunch time we met up with John and the family who asked how many deer and pigs had we seen we told him Bugger all. He looked at as if we were both quite mad and said “Bugger all” you got to be kidding but we weren’t. I asked him were his fence boundary’s now were and he looked at me quite strange and said you should know you’ve been here before to which I replied yerr but Mac wouldn’t let us shoot in his house yard!!! LOL . So he said he had to cut some wood and bundled us into the Patrol along with a Ruger 300Win Mag and it was off to do a fence run, I asked what the Win Mag was for and he said I don’t like the look of Dennis, but in honest truth it’s for poacher deterrent works for me!!! This has to be one of the best kept secret spot in the S.E and it didn’t fail to produce, while the boundary run didn’t turn up anything the signs were everywhere that this place reeked of game!!!!!

P6220046.jpg

Well just then the Sun came out and as so often in life everything changed for the better, while hunting in the lower 400 I noticed a flock of birds having some sort of fit around a couple of cactus plants in flower and knowing we hadn’t set them off my mid turned to PIGS lovely Big Black Pigs eating the red fruit that had spilled on the ground and this was setting the birds off!!!!! Bloody Bingo 5 of the Buggers and they had some size to them as well, on went our stalking faces and we moved in for the kill. As usual we decided to shoot the smallest one in the group LOL !! “Like Hell” as the bugger came closer we waited and hoped the wind wouldn’t change but these Pigs were like a fat kids at Mc Donald’s and we weren’t even in the picture in their minds, I asked Dennis for the range and 20M was the answer Hold on he said and after what seemed like a eternity at full draw I let fly at which he added the 9 WTF!!!29M and you guessed it, it wasn’t a complete miss as the arrow ricocheted from the ground nock and fletches tickled him on the belly as he gave a squeal and ran a few hundred meters into the scrub along with his fat mates, Bloody Dennis- Bloody Range Finder as you can guess I know shoot everything at 30M as I can range that one LOL

P6220048.jpg

Well Bugger me dead we thought that we should be getting back as we were soaked through and had a couple of Km’s walk to the camp, I was talking a favourite pastime of Mine when we spot what looked like a couple of bedded fallow does??? Yep we were right and froze and slowly began to stalk in on them, with very little cover and a fence line between us we decide to obey the “Golden Rule No 2” don’t jump the fence very unlike you Dennis? LOL We sat and waited hoping the they might like the grass on the other side of the fence ,as we watched and waited more revealed themselves it was a mob of 4 Bucks and 8 does now only 90M to our right but still on the wrong side of that Bloody Fence!!!!! As always favour smiles on the righteous and as I was seated about 10M behind Dennis I witnessed something the likes I’ve never seen before , Dennis Cry’s “Ohhhh crap” and starts to nock a arrow and then starts fumbling for his release aid!!! I think what’s wrong with him, then they arrived 6 Big pigs have decided to make a B-Line for the Cactus fruit trees along the fence on our side at Mach One and guess who’s between them and their fruit??? Dennis only got to his knees and lets drive hits a large sow who’s in the lead the arrow hits right behind the head and catches the back of her lung, at this point I’ve Crapped myself and collected my thought only to miss the whole shooting match. She runs another 50M and lays down but she’s not finished as Dennis walks up to her she turns and decides he’s the bugger that’s done this to her and she has a go !!!I quickly dispense with her through her heart and the day has turned to GOLD!!!! Can it get any better than this????

P6220023.jpg

That night things took a turn for the worst and yep clear skies told us that it was going to be bloody freezing. How cold the L.P.G heaters were failing as the gas was was becoming a frozen liquid and someone hadn’t thought to bring a bed and had to sleep on the shed floor, how cold was it Dennis??? LOL

P6220024.jpg

Finally after 8 hrs of Dennis moaning and snoring we awake to a cracking cold but clear morning only to have the fog roll in about a hour later what is up with this weather????? A hot cuppa and were off into the fog and freezing weather ,ice on everything and the grass cracks as you walk on it Bloody Winter we walk for a few Km’s and see nothing but fog that blocks out the sun and visibility is now down to 20M and it’s amazing how our Gold has now turned to Crap!!!! We walk to the spot were we nailed the sow and as we move toward the back gate I spot my first, it was a gorilla (100Kg ++++ Boar) in the mist but he’s on to us and he takes flight, I’m after him but lose sight of him in the fog ,I wander back to where he was bedded down and notice house bricks everywhere, this thing is huge it Turds are the size of bricks , I guess he was ****ting Bricks also LOL!!! After this non event we walk about 300m and bugger me dead, we stumble on some more fallow does they haven’t seen us and there only 100M ahead we freeze yet again and in this weather it wasn’t hard to do! We fall to our knees and the only cover we have is the fog and 3 ft of wet freezing grass and a fence line but their deer for crying out loud and where here for them so who cares? We slowly stalk in 5meters at a time and stall I hang back as Dennis decides he going to take the kill shot over the next hour or so the fog begins to lift and then we see what we’ve got “Bloody Eureka” we are now watching 9Bucks 4 real nice and 12 does quietly feeding near some large gums and to make things even better there are 4 pigs to the left of them at about 50M, someone wake me up this stuff only happens in your Dreams right???? The Snorer moves in like stealth bomber slowly making his way to the cover of the trees and now gets with in 40M and he starts to ready himself for the final strike, the whole time the deer have been becoming more and more edgy and this has not been caused by Dennis but the pigs and the deer seem to be at loggerheads with each other over who own what patch of grass? I have never seen this sort of behaviour before and it was Bloody Awesome to watch from a distance. As if right on Que the largest sow decides she is going to take on the deer and almightily row breaks out the deer decide to leave Dennis jumps up and has a crack at a doe that jumps the string and just like that the Deer hunt is no more. At this point Dennis who hasn’t seen the pigs to the right decides that it’s my fault and blames me for spooking the deer!!!!! I calmly tell him to shut the hell up as we still have 4 Pigs to our left and it my turn for some bacon as he’s stuffed up our chance at some venison for the week

P6220037.jpg

My heart pounding and stoping every 4-5 meters in the wet cold grass I stalk in on the big cranky sow to 20m wasn’t going to miss this one for anything, Sat up and whack sent here to Piggy Heaven!!! She squealed and ran at a rate of knots into the long grass as she came to the 25m rise she wheeled sideways and seemed to crash down hard the day had just gotten better Amen to that!! We climbed the short hill to the top only to find she wasn’t there, and to our left were 3 more pigs and one a huge Boar this day was just getting better and better 20 minutes later we had our 2nd pig for the morning and it too was missing in action damm these expandable broad heads, I’m going back to Outback Supremes last time I loose a pig in the long grass!!!! We found out a little latter why the sow had been so aggressive toward the Fallow deer as we located a nest of suckers that she had been protecting there were nine in all, time for a photo and we were off.

We decided to take the scenic route on the way back and came across a Small Buck and three does sunning themselves along the creek bank but we were busted as they had taken us by surprise this time we said our Good-Byes to John and Shirley and headed for home after asking if John would adopt us LOL!! Best Bloody weekend in a very long time and looking to do it all over again in a few weeks
    Last edited by Ben S; 25th June 2013 at 06:49 PM.
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, :but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake. :
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, :but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake. :
    Ripper read Westy. Loved it mate
    Great stuff. Nothing like a great weekend when expectations are low to put a smile on the dial
    If you don't do it, you won't do it, and if at first you don't succeed, it's more than likely because you're crap at it.
    Great read, Westy. You look toasty warm in the pics NOT!! Dennis' little sucker looks like it might have made a handy hot water bottle stuffed up his jumper.

Cheers, Tony
    aim at a spot... aim at a spot... aim at a spot...

Best Bloody Weekend In Ages

Well done mate, love it when a plan comes together.

"One life, one chance"
    just to confirm i was not snoring it was westy and his new nick name is chainsaw!!!!!!LOL
    Hunt Hard or go home!
    Very good read that and congrats on a good weekend of hunting in not the best weather.
    cheers emu
    Bugger work lets go hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTNUT69 View Post
    just to confirm i was not snoring it was westy and his new nick name is chainsaw!!!!!!LOL
    All I can say is LOL Chainsaw!!!!!!
    that was the funnest an one of the best stories i've read on here this made me spit
    my drink everywhere (got cleaning up to do now thanks westy lol)

"At this point Dennis who hasn’t seen the pigs to the right decides that it’s my fault and blames me for spooking the deer!!!!! I calmly tell him to shut the hell up as we still have 4 Pigs to our left"

LOL bloody awesome read thanks for the laugh westy o an damn you lol
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast