Ozcut Broadheads

Bear Motive 7 - inexpert review

Hi all,

I'm not experienced enough to write a comprehensive review with any credibility but having now lived with and hunted with my Motive 7 for a while, I thought I could at least give a few impressions.

Overall, this is an impressive bow and I like it so much I now have 2... one set up for hunting, one for 3D.

First impressions when I was trying different bows were that this is a bow that is incredibly mild-mannered on the shot. Where some of the other bows and brands had hand shock varying from noticeable to violent (bear in mind, testing in a store is with bows usally without stabilizers, dampners, silencers or any of the other bits to control noise and shock). The Bear Motive 6 and 7 both have almost undetectable hand shock.

The big difference between the 340 fps (IBO) Motive 7 and the 350 fps Motive 6 to me was that the 7 just felt a little less aggressive. Climbing over the peak on the 6 felt more dramatic so I opted for the more forgiving option. With that said though, there is still a noticable hump in the Motive 7 but it draws over it quite smoothly.

Out on the range and in the field, the Motive 7 has been a dream to tune. I've probably just been lucky but some minor tinkering with the left/right on my QAD HDX rest on the hunting bow had field points and broadheads grouping together within a couple of minutes.

Over time, there has been no noticeable stretch of the original string supplied on the Motive... its probably had close to 300 shots through it now. No peep rotation or problems in that department.

Now to the bit that impresses me the most and that gets noticed most often. It's quiet! Really, really quiet. I have no silencers on either of my Motives. My hunting bow has a 4 1/2" S-Coil stabilizer and the target rig, a 16" weighted carbon stabilizer of unknown make (a second hand pick-up). The Motive 7, like a lot of the newer Bear range, has twin string-stops and they work a treat in taming the string.

Whenever I shoot around our local field range with anyone I haven't shot with before, they without fail make comment on how quiet my bow is. Does my ego no end of good and gives me great confidence hunting. All I hear on the shot is a dull thump.

Accuracy is hard for me to judge but I can say that the Motive 7 isn't super-tolerant of form errors. When I concentrate I can shoot my Motive extremely well but if I don't concentrate it shows at the target. I don't really have a good basis for comparison so it's possibly no difference to any other bow. For someone inexperienced though, my club 3D and paper shoot scores have, while not up with the top shooters, been competitive.

The bow seems very well balanced in my hand. With the 4.5" S-coil the bow hangs beautifully in my hand with no tendency to kick back or fall forward. The rubberized grip is removeable to leave a skinny metal grip for those who want but I don't seem to have problems with torquing the bow now that my form has settled. And I cetainly appreciated it on the cold mornings out near St George recently when wood, plastic and metal grips without gloves become a form of torture.

The one noticeable negative of this rig is the extremely short valley. The distance between the peak and back wall is small so combined with 75% let off, needs concentration to avoid it wanting to leap forward on you. I got used to it quickly and it's schooled me to keep tension in my back muscles and hold firmly against the wall. I've found that this actually improves my shot to shot consistency anyway.

No idea whether any of this is useful to anyone... like I said, I'm only a relative beginner, but I like my Motives so much I wanted to share.

Cheers, Tony
    Last edited by slinkymalinky; 18th July 2013 at 08:38 AM.
    aim at a spot... aim at a spot... aim at a spot...
    Cheers mate. My Motive 6 was very similar. Unforgiving if you didn't concentrate, yet so consistent at the target if you did. My 60m with the Motive is like my 40m with the Spyder, accuracy wise. I am definitely going back to the Motive one of these days.

Cheers again for the review.
    Quote Originally Posted by slinkymalinky View Post
    Hi all,

I'm not experienced enough to write a comprehensive review with any credibility but having now lived with and hunted with my Motive 7 for a while, I thought I could at least give a few impressions.

Overall, this is an impressive bow and I like it so much I now have 2... one set up for hunting, one for 3D.

First impressions when I was trying different bows were that this is a bow that is incredibly mild-mannered on the shot. Where some of the other bows and brands had hand shock varying from noticeable to violent (bear in mind, testing in a store is with bows usally without stabilizers, dampners, silencers or any of the other bits to control noise and shock). The Bear Motive 6 and 7 both have almost undetectable hand shock.

The big difference between the 340 fps (IBO) Motive 7 and the 350 fps Motive 6 to me was that the 7 just felt a little less aggressive. Climbing over the peak on the 6 felt more dramatic so I opted for the more forgiving option. With that said though, there is still a noticable hump in the Motive 7 but it draws over it quite smoothly.

Out on the range and in the field, the Motive 7 has been a dream to tune. I've probably just been lucky but some minor tinkering with the left/right on my QAD HDX rest on the hunting bow had field points and broadheads grouping together within a couple of minutes.

Over time, there has been no noticeable stretch of the original string supplied on the Motive... its probably had close to 300 shots through it now. No peep rotation or problems in that department.

Now to the bit that impresses me the most and that gets noticed most often. It's quiet! Really, really quiet. I have no silencers on either of my Motives. My hunting bow has a 4 1/2" S-Coil stabilizer and the target rig, a 16" weighted carbon stabilizer of unknown make (a second hand pick-up). The Motive 7, like a lot of the newer Bear range, has twin string-stops and they work a treat in taming the string.

Whenever I shoot around our local field range with anyone I haven't shot with before, they without fail make comment on how quiet my bow is. Does my ego no end of good and gives me great confidence hunting. All I hear on the shot is a dull thump.

Accuracy is hard for me to judge but I can say that the Motive 7 isn't super-tolerant of form errors. When I concentrate I can shoot my Motive extremely well but if I don't concentrate it shows at the target. I don't really have a good basis for comparison so it's possibly no difference to any other bow. For someone inexperienced though, my club 3D and paper shoot scores have, while not up with the top shooters, been competitive.

The bow seems very well balanced in my hand. With the 4.5" S-coil the bow hangs beautifully in my hand with no tendency to kick back or fall forward. The rubberized grip is removeable to leave a skinny metal grip for those who want but I don't seem to have problems with torquing the bow now that my form has settled. And I cetainly appreciated it on the cold mornings out near St George recently when wood, plastic and metal grips without gloves become a form of torture.

The one noticeable negative of this rig is the extremely short valley. The distance between the peak and back wall is small so combined with 75% let off, needs concentration to avoid it wanting to leap forward on you. I got used to it quickly and it's schooled me to keep tension in my back muscles and hold firmly against the wall. I've found that this actually improves my shot to shot consistency anyway.

No idea whether any of this is useful to anyone... like I said, I'm only a relative beginner, but I like my Motives so much I wanted to share.

Cheers, Tony
    Thank you, I am looking at a near new motive 7. So I guess I should get it. $650 he has it for with a case, bow quiver, Scott release and 6 Carbon express arrows,
    All set up with sites to.
    What do you reckon?
    So what was wrong with the motive I bought from ya?
    Its on its 3rd set of limbs in 2 years. Wanna buy it back?
    My best friend is a MONSTER, so I bought a MOTIVE 7 to sort him out.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazydeer View Post
    So what was wrong with the motive I bought from ya?
    Its on its 3rd set of limbs in 2 years. Wanna buy it back?
    Yeah..how's that goin Mick?
    Sitting back from your trophy to make it appear bigger only makes you look smaller!

Public Relations Officer, Head Bowhunting Instructor & past "Supreme Commander"- Pacific Bowmen inc
    Game Hunters Association of Australia inc - Life Member
    ABA Bowhunting Instructor
    ADA qualified measurer
    Former Game Council R Licence Examiner

Assassin Automotive Solutions

We'll "take care" of your problems

Quarry Road, Murwillumbah , NSW. Ph: 0481 303965