TUSX

Spot-N-Stalk shoulder bag/quiver

I just received the Gameplan Spot-N-Stalk quiver and have to say it's an excellent product.

First of all it's light weight and has enough adjustment in the straps to make the whole rig fit like a glove. The quiver mount is secure and the design of the mount is flexible enough to accommodate pretty much any kind of quiver. I’ve mounted my NEET side quiver so that if I want to leave the bag at camp and carry something heavier, I can just unclip the quiver from the mount and be on my way.

My unit arrived with two rubber mounting straps and a selection of cable ties - and it is also fitted with a generous array of molle mounting loops and re-enforced hole studs - so that any quiver mounting position or angle is possible. For quick detach bow quivers, the Spot-N-Stalk has a back access panel which is set up to allow a bow mounting fixture to be attached.

The Spot-N-Stalk shoulder strap is wide and comfortable and its length can be adjusted to suit any sized wearer. All the pockets are directly and easily accessible and I found it easy to both stow and extract gear. The entire bag and quiver is east to rotate around your shoulder via a grab handle attached to the bag. This allows instant access to any part of the pack and is quick and intuitive to use. Both the width of the shoulder strap and the texture of the strap material renders the bag “position neutral” and no matter to which position you rotate the bag and quiver - it will stay there. This means if you're negotiating thick scrub, you can easily rotate the quiver out of the way to the centre of your back – and then slide it back round in a second for instant arrow access!

There is a small utility pouch at the front of the rig which is designed to accommodate a range finder. Since I don't use one, I've found it a perfect pace to stow my Zen Ray monocular and a multi-tool.

The bag is set up to take both an external drink bottle and an internal bladder and has all the necessary clips etc to route the hose and mouthpiece. So as not to upset the balance of the rig, I’ve decided to install a small 1 litre bladder and pack a 1 litre bottle on the other side (which evens things up).

Finally the bottom of the bag has mounting straps to accommodate a rain jacket, plastic tarp or bedroll, which is very handy indeed when venturing out in changing weather.

My unit was purchased from Cabelas for $89 + $28 postage – and I’m very happy!

Attachment 13545
    "Looks Like Rain////////////?
    Thanks. Be keen to hear your thoughts after some field testing
    If you don't do it, you won't do it, and if at first you don't succeed, it's more than likely because you're crap at it.
    Hi all, I just ordered one today from bowhunters super store, their price was $65.
    they are ok until you hafto belly crawl and then your arrows stick up and wave all over the place
    Yeah I like this pack too. I opted for this option to get the quiver off my bow and I'm happy with my decision. Have not had to belly crawl yet though as Jamey has mentioned.
    I'm definitely too old to crawl around on my belly but reckon it would be alright if you put some thought into mounting the quiver.

With mine I find I can rotate the pack and have the arrows lying flat against my spine and the rest of the bag well round to the side.

This would just leave the open strap at the front, which should be OK.

The bag also has an additional locking strap if you want to stop things sliding around, so I think it would all work without too much trouble.

In deference to honest reporting however, I'll try this out once for real and let folks know how it goes.
    I gave the Gameplan Spot-N-Stalk a good workout over the weekend and wasn’t disappointed.

Items carried were:

1.5 litre hydration bladder and delivery hose
    Lunch
    Sunscreen, insect repellent, wipes & tissues
    Various maintenance tools (multi-tool, allen wrench set & s/driver)
    Knife, dressing tools, folding saw & bags
    750ml exterior carried water bottle + electrolytes
    First aid kit
    Optics
    GPS
    Map
    Rolled up lightweight tarp
    Quiver + ½ dozen arrows (NEET hip quiver)

Stalk duration – 4 hrs
    Temp 37º
    Terrain: hilly scrub with intermittent tall tree woods.

Some careful thought went into packing gear, since there are a number of pockets and compartments provided with this rig. Everything I needed to hand was stowed in external pockets and lunch, tools, meat bags etc were stowed inside.
    The light tarp was suspended underneath the bag via the integral carry straps provided (but a jacket, light bivvy or sleeping bag would also carry OK).

For a half day stalk the rig proved very useful, although you wouldn’t want to carry much more than that listed above, despite the strap being well padded and wide. If you did, I think wearing the rig would become unbalanced and tire you out pretty quickly on a hot day. With what I had however, I could have lasted a whole day with the provision of more water (I usually carry a 4L canteen separately and depot on route in the shade).

The quiver carrier worked fine and I was able to adjust the rig so that the arrows were out of the way when negotiating scrub. As promised I did try a belly stalk (unfortunately the victim was imaginary) and with some fine tuning was able to adjust the rig so that the arrows were kept at a low profile, whilst remaining accessible. The key to success here is to put in some work and use the quiver mounting options to their best effect. If you still can’t get things right, then maybe look at mounting an alternative quiver. Now I have it set up correctly, the whole system is a breeze to use and definitely makes the hunt more organized. I found everything accessible and positioning of the rig stable, although as speculated above, carrying more weight might have upset the balance.

I think this rig is excellent for short trips away from your vehicle or camp, which is how I hunt these days. It would not be suitable on it’s own for a backpack hunt however, since it cannot carry either the weight or quantity of gear required. The only issues on the day were the heat and the fact that there was no game to be seen – but you can’t have everything!
    Last edited by recurve 5; 25th February 2014 at 12:41 PM.
    Interesting you mention the shoulder strap, I found it was tiring the shoulder, I now have the waist strap as tight as possible and it eleveates the majority of the weight on the shoulder, love it at the moment, and can't see reason why I would change........again.
    I actually modified my pack recently and replaced the standard belly strap with a wider strap belt and snap buckle. Proved to be a really simple upgrade (if you invest in a leather sewing awe - $5) and made a huge difference. Not only takes away the stress on your shoulder, but enables you to carry much more stuff in the bag.