Ozcut Broadheads
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Flintlock

Flintlock

OK so I've found myself a muzzloader at last that tickles my berries,and I'm sorta in a position where I'm willing to trade my IAC 87 for it if the seller is willing. The gun in question is a Lyman Deerstalker .54 flintlock. Now does anyone know anything about them,what sort of things I'll need to get hunting,is it worth trading for,in short, anything opinion at all to do with this situation? I do like my IAC but I really have little to no use for it,and I've been after a muzzleloader for ages,so I'm pretty keen ☺
    the artist formerly known as bigpete
    Welcome to a whole new addiction.
    I shot black powder for years every weekend in comp and hunting regularly.
    Weigh each ball sort em into piles remelt any that are to light or use them for foulers, tight weave patch cloth. Dont be shy head into spotlight with your vernier and measure them out.
    You need to work your load out which means lots of trial and error and singed eyebrows and hair.
    But be warned they are called flinch lock's for a reason.
    Giveme a call anytime
    Welcome to a whole new addiction.
    I shot black powder for years every weekend in comp and hunting regularly.
    Weigh each ball sort em into piles remelt any that are to light or use them for foulers, tight weave patch cloth. Dont be shy head into spotlight with your vernier and measure them out.
    You need to work your load out which means lots of trial and error and singed eyebrows and hair.
    But be warned they are called flinch lock's for a reason.
    Giveme a call anytime
    I've got a .45 cal muzzleloader that I used in between my transition from rifles to bows- in an effort to introduce a challenge (as I mostly hunted for trophy animals with rifles- unless I was culling) awesome fun and challenging...just beware of starting grassfires!!

Cheers mate, and good luck:cool:
    Sitting back from your trophy to make it appear bigger only makes you look smaller!

Public Relations Officer, Head Bowhunting Instructor & past "Supreme Commander"- Pacific Bowmen inc
    Game Hunters Association of Australia inc - Life Member
    ABA Bowhunting Instructor
    ADA qualified measurer
    Former Game Council R Licence Examiner

Assassin Automotive Solutions

We'll "take care" of your problems

Quarry Road, Murwillumbah , NSW. Ph: 0481 303965
    Hey , if your after a manual on getting to know the basics of black powder , the club i was in used to hand them out and i've got copy can send you .just PM me your address. If your hunting and after reliability , percussion caps might be better than a true flintlock. also round ball and patches are more accurate than minis but are slower to load,can be an issue if needing a second shot.If planing to shoot at a range just check on calibre restrictions as i wasnt allowed to shoot my old 58 cal here as the range has a 50 cal limit.
    regards
  6. gsphunter
    I"m a mad keen muzzleloader hunter, I probably do more muzzleloader hunting than anything else. After I got my GSP bow hunting was just too hard so it's a great inbetween sport.

Cleaning all the time is a pain in the arse but you get used to it. I was looking at getting a lyman great plains hunter, still will one day just don't have the money.

I did a lot of looking into what direction to go i.e. flintlock, caplock or inline.

Personally, for hunting I wouldn't go a flintlock, I mean they're awesome but they are so finnicky and I'm too greedy, I wouldn't be happy watching a big deer walk just because the flash pan didn't ignite properly or something like that. There's just too many things that can go wrong.

If you want the old style feel, go a caplock. I ended up going down the inline path, for a few reasons. Mostly because I like the idea of being able to remove my shot without having to fire it empty.

Then depending on how traditional you want to be you can use patch and round ball, mini's or get something chambered to a 1:28 twist or around that mark and shoot a modern sabot. Personally I love the idea of a patch and round ball but I went with a fast twist rifle and use sabot's. Been running 240gn Hornady XTP magnum's. So far 4 deer down from 4 shots (plus one fallow buck I clean missed this years rut). The other benefit to that side of things is you can use synthetic blackpowders which are more reliable and far far less corrosive.

to be a blackpowder hunter you need patience, things take a long time to come!

I did months of trawling the internet speaking to american hunters getting info, one thing with BP hunting is that there are a lot of BP products with a hefty price tag that can be replaced with household items.
    Don't get sucked into buying bore butter or anything like that when INOX will work just as fine, similarly there are plenty of BP bore cleaning products but nothing works as well as hot soapy water.

Happy to help out anyway I can if you have any queries just PM me.

Attachment 20816

Attachment 20817
    Thanks for the replies blokes ☺ GSP I'm not fussed either way whether what I get is caplock or flintlock,they each have their advantages in my eyes,just as long ad its a traditional style muzzleloader. I plan on using PRB for almost everything,it just seems right to me. But unfortunately I rang the seller today and she wasn't interested in doing a trade so it looks like I've got to try selling a couple of guns quickly.
    For me this step is kinda going to make hunting a little easier,after all I'm pretty used to hunting with traditional bows and this should double my effective range ☺
    Assassin are you serious about the grass fires? I must admit I'd thought of that but couldn't find any info about it.
    Stork thank you for the kind offer,I will pm you my address shortly.
    Stu I'll take you up on that phone call at some stage,probably once I actually get something.
    On a related topic my grandfather is giving me a Grumman 12 bore percussion cap DB shotgun and all it's accoutrements, one of which is this awesome copper powder flask ! Attachment 20818 its measure is graduated from 2 drams to 3 drams in guarter dram increments. I'm hoping I can use it for my potential new rifle,and I know grandpa used it for the shotgun.
    Cheers fellas !
    the artist formerly known as bigpete
    Following this with intense interest
    If you don't do it, you won't do it, and if at first you don't succeed, it's more than likely because you're crap at it.

Re: Flintlock

I luv these posts of yours big pete, good luck and hope you get the muzzleloader mate
    Yeah Pete...I am serious! That patch wrapped around your ball (and now on fire!) has to end up somewhere! It just made me very cautious about checking the overshoot area for smoldering embers!

Cheers mate...
    Sitting back from your trophy to make it appear bigger only makes you look smaller!

Public Relations Officer, Head Bowhunting Instructor & past "Supreme Commander"- Pacific Bowmen inc
    Game Hunters Association of Australia inc - Life Member
    ABA Bowhunting Instructor
    ADA qualified measurer
    Former Game Council R Licence Examiner

Assassin Automotive Solutions

We'll "take care" of your problems

Quarry Road, Murwillumbah , NSW. Ph: 0481 303965
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast