Arrowhead Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1

    2016 Major Forum Prize from Hoyt Monthly Winners

    Hello all. I am very happy to announce that we will once again be giving away a major annual prize on the forum thanks to the wonderful people at Hoyt. The prize will be given to the best story written up in the Bowhunting Stories section of the site.

    Each month a story will be selected as the winner for that month and at the end of the year the twelve monthly winners will go into a draw for the major prize.

    Given that we are already two thirds of the way through the year, we will go back and select a winner from each month up to the end of August and then select the next four entrants for the months of September through to December. I will place all winning entries into a single thread with a post for each monthly winner. Monthly winners will be listed here in this thread.

    Now to the prize.

    The 2016 prize will be my Hoyt Carbon Spyder ZT Turbo in 30" draw. It is loaded with a two piece Hoyt quiver, Hoyt Site, drop away rest and Hoyt Stabiliser.

    The bow is one that I have used for a little over twelve months now and it has killed some beasts. It will have some marks on it and the draw will be what it is. We will ship it to your door as is once I receive the next bow I am to hunt with and keep it going for next year.

    Next years bow will be a Hoyt Carbon Defiant Turbo fully loaded and we will do the same once again.

    Thank you as always to the great people at Hoyt for supporting us here and best be getting your typing fingers heated up to be in the running the shoot the best shooting bows on the planet.

    Not all deer make the record book, but they all make mine

  2. Hyndsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Charters Towers, Queensland
    Great work Ant.
    Last edited by Hyndsie; 1st September 2016 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Comment left on general post
    Don't make excuses, Live life to the fullest

    Hunt hard and often...

    Prime Logic @ 81#
    Hoyt Pro Defiant @ 73#
    Easton N-Fused & Full Metal Jacket
    Helix Broadheads
  3. #3
    ^^^^^^ X2 that is an awesome prize
  4. BenVW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Cobar NSW

    2016 Major Forum Prize from Hoyt Monthly Winners

    Great stuff, would be awesome to win.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. #5
    The winner for the January Stories comp and the first to go into the draw for the Hoyt bow is BIGRANG. Congrats mate and may more luck be with you when the final draw occurs.

    Thought I'd chuck up a quick recount of my first successful hunt.
    This is a long story but I'll make it as quick as possible. Got into the sport a while ago now and have had a few hunts with out much success. A few of my farming mates have been abolutely feeding it to me about how Bow-hunting is a stupid idea and I should just get a gun and that there is more chance of hell freezing over than me ever shooting any feral animal of any description with a bow. Subsequently I ended up with a bet running between myself and one of my mates, that i couldn't get a Deer or a Pig on the ground by Mid-day Australia Day with $100 going to the winner.
    So all my previous hunts had been unsuccessful but I felt i was on the right track as I'd had plenty of roos and emus come wanderingto within 2mtrs of me without even knowing I was there so I figured I must be doing somethng right just the opportunity hadn't presented itself yet.
    My alarm went off at 4:00am Australia Day morning and I headed out to a property I have access to, the farmer had reported seeing a few Fallow recently so I thought this was my best option to pop my cherry, win $100 and get some Venison in the freezer.
    Went through the gate just as the first few streams of sunlight were making thier way throught the trees. I had a plan to make my way to a dam at the head of a gully and work my way up down the gully into the wind and hopefully catch something making it's way to one of the dams along the gully for a morning drink.
    Within about 200mtrs of entering the property i had come across a few little piles of deer scat and some tracks but nothing that looked particularly fresh.
    I continued working my way down the gully and into some flat areas that were quite wet after a big batch of rain we'd had the week before, still no deer spotted but the whole gully had been ripped to shreds by feral pigs, so by now i was on high alert and into super stealth mode...
    Worked my way around the edge of the little flat area and through into the next little area , spotted a couple of young foxes and could have had a ping from about 40mtrs, but decided to try and get a bit closer and the little suckers winded me and took off.
    As i was working my way into the next bit of flat wet area i spotted movement up ahead from around 100mtrs, a good mob of pigs making thier way down into the gully and luckily for my turned my way and started heading up the gully in my direction. I moved up about 20mtrs and positioned myself behind a couple of tree limbs and waited for the mob to feed towards me. Within about 30 seconds a mob of 15-20 pigswas out in the clear mucking around in fornt of me.
    No boars in the mob so i picked out the biggest sow and let her walk around into the middle of the clearing where she did what all good feral pigs should do - Quartered away and paused long enough for me to draw back 70lbs of PSE drive, settle the 30mtr pin, pull the trigger, and let the carbon express and 125 grain Northern Grunt do the rest.
    The shot felt good and the sow would have been lucky to make it 20mtrs and expired within about 5 seconds i reckon. By now I was fairly shaky from pure adrenalin I think, so i waited for the dust to settle and wandered over to inspect my quarry.
    As i made my way over to the sow I noticed the arrow protruding from the front of her shoulder with the vanes still inside her ribcage which i was surprised about as I really thought the shot had been a complete pass-through. It was then that I noticed more movement off to my left and notice a little piglet rolling around in the creek bed, I thought it was a bit funny for it to still be hanging around when the entire mob had scattered like bowling pins after the sow had been hit so I made my over to inspect only to find it expired when I arrived with a broadhead shaped entry wound in it's shoulder. The unlucky piglet must have been standing directly behind the sow when I released the arrow and copped it as the vented Northern was exiting the sow.
    So my first kill with the bow turned out to be two pigs with one shot, to say I was happy about things was a bit of an understatement and didn't mind so much about not getting the pass-through.
    I saw the farmer on the way out he asked if i had seen any deer I said 'No, but there's two less feral pigs for you to worry about.' He was stoked the little buggers had only just ripped up his house paddock the night before so he told me to come back as often as I llike!

    Here's a couple of pics sorry about the quality I only had my phone on me. Next time I'll try to remember my GoPro and the DLSR!
    I want to thank everyone on the forum that's answered my questions and given advice, I don't think this would have happened with you. Happy Hunting!
    Attachment 21219Attachment 21220Attachment 21221
    P.S. I asked my mate if it was $100 for the win or $100 per pig he wasn't too impressed as he was failry confident he was onto a sure bet. I told him he could settle the bet with a block as long as he helped me drink it to ease the pain.
    Not all deer make the record book, but they all make mine

  6. #6
    Winner for February is BENVW for his story on his big fallow. Nice work Ben

    Had a big week at work and it did my head in so I decided that I would head out bush backpacking for a couple of days. I spent the morning Wednesday sharpening broad heads and getting all my gear ready.

    I headed out at about 2 and after a chat to the landowner I set off for my adventure! (He thought I was mad)

    I set off to get to a tank that was holding a critter I have been watching for a while.

    The tank he had been frequenting had dried up so I had to do some scouting to find where he had got to. I walked to another tank (another 4km on top of the 2km I did to the first tank) only to find it wasn't suitable.

    I trekked another 6km to get near a tank I wanted to sit on the next day. I got to a flat right on dark and spotted a few sows and slips. Nothing worth taking so let them go. I set up my hammock and my sheet for the night, and had some pigs fighting not 50m from where I set up. I slept well till about 2:30 when it started to get cold. Silly me didn't check how cold it was at night. Didn't sleep much after that.

    I set off for the tank before first light and set up. I had a boar come in and have a drink not 15m from where I was sitting with hooks coming out above his lip. The only problem was there were a few branches in the way of a shot. I waited and it wasn't long before he started along a pad that would give me a broadside shot at under 8m. When he went behind a tree I drew back, only to have the excess chord from my limb driven drop away get caught in my cam and snap. He was close enough to hear it and was off. Not happy.

    I sat there for another hour or so when a lone billy came in for a drink. He looked decent, but I didn't think he was anything special (looked like a big head on a little body high 30's). I don't shoot goats on this block because he rounds them up (I have only shot one other goat and that was my first critter this year with the curve) so I let him walk.

    As he crested the bank of the tank a billy was coming the other way and the bloke I was watching was no small bodied goat! I ditched my pack and skirted around to get the drop on him. With only a couple of trees as cover I had to make my move quickly. I had him at 30 and sent a 250 spine Native heatseeker shaft tipped with a 1 1/2" cut V2 into the boiler room and he only went 5 steps.

    Some serious mass

    He went 40 1/2" only 1/2" smaller than my PB, my best local goat.

    Had a 6km carry out, that hurt with all my camping gear but I wasn't going to be greedy or freeze for another night!
    Not all deer make the record book, but they all make mine

  7. #7
    The March winner of the stories and latest entrant in the running for the Hoyt bow is RMilly. Thank you for putting up yet another great story

    Hope everyone has been able to get out on a hunt lately and enjoying their time in the bush. Koby and I have had a bit of a hit and miss summer at times, but here is some of the game we got onto over the warmer months.

    First up in early summer we headed into a remote waterhole in the Flinders with Macka on a 43 degree day. The rotten walk was worth it though
    Shot this young fox first up from under 10m

    Next Koby’s PB ranges billy came in for a drink, which he took from around 25m

    Macka then zipped one of his WM Smash’s through this nice curly billy

    Then this ripper old billy showed up – one of the best / most stylish looking billies on the hoof I’ve seen. Macka took this sweet photo of him

    Got him on the deck after a long stand off

    The next trip we headed out to western NSW to scout a big property we got access onto during winter. Only had a weekend to spare up there, and while there wasn’t a heap of pigs about, nothing went our way. Will be a great spot though and looking forward to spending some more time on it
    Fox off a tank

    Young boar Koby put the smack down on

    Old snapped billy with a broken leg

    Next trip out to the goat block was a good one, and a string of hot weather really brang a few big boys in.
    Koby with a 36” billy that was a huge looking billy on the hoof

    Solid billy taken from 30m

    Caught a glimpse of this fella coming in on first light, and managed to take him down with a tight quartering away shot. Went 35”

    When I spotted this fella and I immediately knew he was a shooter with this tips. Got lucky and he come within range after a long wait. He was my best for the summer tipping out at 37”

    Anyway that’s the most of it, had a lot of uneventful trips also in between these, so it was good that the effort produced a few good trophies, meat for the dogs, and some kids for the table as well. All game was taken with Terra Firma .300 shafts and Apex Vulture broadheads.
    The rut will now be our main focus, so good luck to everyone lucky enough to get out on the deer in the upcoming silly season.

    RMilly & KMilly
    Not all deer make the record book, but they all make mine

  8. #8
    The April bowhunting Stories winner is Swede for his great recount of a fallow hunt that ended in a sambar stag

    This year i decided to be prepared. I have seen this rather impressive buck on public land not too far from Sydney and I decided to map his movements for the upcoming rut. This will be the third year I have been trying to seal the deal. This is one of the better photos I got of him from previous years.

    I had many trips to the forests but with limited success. Early in the season I got one photo of what MAY be his antlers walking past at 3 am but that was it. The time which I thought would kick off the rut was getting closer and I still only saw a few doe's and spike's on random hours of the day. No luck with the rut and i was worried as I had my annual birthday hunting trip coming up. This year I had access to a private property in the snowy mountains of NSW. A place I know holds a fair few fallow but I have never been during the rut.

    On the 31st of March me and my fiancee, Camille (Artemis) set of towards the snowy's for a few days R&R. We took our time and arrived late on the Thursday, set camp, had a beer and jumped to bed for an early morning hunt.

    To our disappointment we did not hear more than a faint grunt and that was on the next door property. We spotted a few fallow and they had their normal feeding patterns. We saw doe's and spike's but no bucks. Later on Friday night I took a long walk up in the steep dense section of the property in hope that the bucks where hiding up there. I started a rattle sequence which might have lasted for 5-10 minutes. I realised that nothing would show so I moved about 20 m uphill until I caught some movement. A smallish buck was making his was down towards where I rattled before. He was cagey and mooched around for a bit before catching some of my scent and bolted out of there. I was slightly dis-heartened but at least I got one coming in.

    Saturday morning came along and the story was much the same, spotted some deer but did not close the gap enough for a shot. Nothing came to the rattle or doe calls. Camille saw a couple of bucks in open country but they wanted nothing to do with any rattling or calling we could do. The property we hunted got lots of open ground so stalking is slow, long and often unsuccessful. Found this beautiful fridge during one stalk.... I bet it has been things in it's days.

    At lunch time we jumped in the car for the afternoon to head to "Bushfestival" in Corryong. Some food, drink and laughs made the day go quickly and we just made it back to camp with a couple of hours light left. I headed up high in the steep hills trying to rattle. I took the Camille up to the same place I rattled in the buck the night before and set her up for a good shot. I stayed 10-20 meters below. At first nothing showed but at the very last light I had a buck come in... this time lower down. About 30-40 m below me. I got to full draw and made a doe call. I looked through my peep and could just barely make out my pins. A long shot, downhill with a fuzzy sight picture isn't ideal and I had to let down. The thermals reached the buck and he was gone.

    Sunday we decided to hunt hard, spend as much time in the field as possible and try to get something on the ground. In the morning we hunted together and found ourself a buck with 2 uneasy does. It was a hard stalk with swirly winds so we made our way slowly. After 40-50 minutes the does had enough of the erratic behaviour from the randy buck and they jumped the fence back to the tree line and out of the property border. Not long after the buck followed. It was an exciting morning.

    Soon came the afternoon and I decided to do a normal spot and stalk and a still hunt where I had seen deer walk past before. The spot was on a long hillside so you could only hunt until the sun broke the horizon as the thermals would change and give you up. Nothing happened and I started to walk up the hill for the last bit of light. This is when I spotted a wild dog entering the property and knowing that owner really wanted us to get rid of any we saw I started to run. I tried to catch up with the dog who was about 200 m in front. Needless to say all I did was wasted whatever last light I had. It was now Sunday night and I only got 1.5 day left of hunting... Camille even less with only the morning left until she would head back to Sydney for work. This night was a good time for a few beers and a venison roast in the camp oven.

    Monday morning arrived and we both headed over to the back paddock of the place. Camille opted for a still hunt in a gully just next to the creek. I made a 2 km circle around the property border to get a better angle and stay out of the wind. After only 10 minutes I sat down for a second and my eye caught a flash of white... deer coming my way! An almost white antler less buck came walking in on a trail. We had seen this same deer a couple of days before walking up the gully my girl now sat and watched. I ranged the trail closest to me... 40 m. Once he went behind a shrub I went to full draw and sat my pin on his crease. I hesitated; it was a longer shot than I wanted and he was walking calmly straight towards the gully where my girl was at. I let down and let him pass in the hope that we still would end up with a nice cape and some venison. Unfortunately this did not happen but she had several other deer including a larger white buck walk past just outside her comfortable range.

    Soon I reached the back corner of the property and the fence line took a 90 degree turn straight up a gnarly steep hill. I decided that if the bucks won't come to me... I will have to go to them. The time was around 9.30 am and I walked for about 1-1.5 km uphill. I got into some dense dog wood on a sheer south facing gully when I got "HONKED". I have only seen sambar on this property once before and that was a quick flash. I assumed that it heard my ascent and froze for about 10-15 minutes. I then backed out really quiet and kept ascending for another 50-100 meters before traversing in above the area where I had heard the honking.

    I slow and deliberate stalk later I caught a familiar bat ear flicking around below me. The sun had now hit the face of the hill and the thermals where on my side. I ranged a nearby tree to 40 m and nocked an arrow. I took a couple if steps before I could see some movement. As he moved I came to full draw. To my luck he walked towards the tree and looked around like he knew something was up... just not where. I let the arrow fly and got greeted with the loud thumping sound of an arrow hitting the rib cage. He crashed out of there. At this point I was pretty confident that the shot was true.

    Only a minute or so later I made my way down to mark the spot. I collected my arrow which had done a straight line pass through. It was covered in blood but some dark muck in the blood. Knowing that it was a hot day (26-27) and the sun was getting higher I took up the blood trails straight away. One step at the time, stop, listen and mark as i went. I only went for about 50 m when I heard a grunt and sigh. I froze once more and slowly lifted my binoculars around. I found a brown rump bedded only 23 m away in a wattle thicket. Too dense to get a second arrow in. I watch him sway back and forth. His head hit the ground a couple of times and he must have spooked as he suddenly stood up leaning against a tree. I knew then that it was a mortal hit but also knowing the Sambar deers ability to disappear I decided that 2 arrows is better than one. I slowly got my boots off and crawled on hands and knees uphill to get an angle for a follow up shot. I got 5-6 m up but the deer had flicked his head my way a few times and I was scared I was running out of time. When the time was right I stood up only to find I still only had a shot from the rear with a poor angle but it was now or never. I took the shot at possibly 16-17 m. He took off and I heard the crash. He only made it another 20 m. What a by catch for a fallow rut hunt. In NSW of all the places. First arrow was quartering away slightly and went through the liver.

    Sun was up an I made my way down to camp. We got some snacks and cup of coffee before the ruthless walk back to the deer to recover the meat. Even though I worked as fast as I could I lost one front shoulder to the sun as it basically cooked the meat on the sunny side. I loaded up two hind quarters on my back meanwhile my girl too the shoulder, back straps, tenderloins and antlers.

    Back at camp it was time to pack up for my girls trip back to Sydney. We loaded up the eskie with meat and off she went. She had a few really close calls with deer around 35-40 m but waited for a better shot. Never happened this trip but that is bowhunting for you.

    By the time we spoke to the owners and I got back to camp I had only an hour left of light. I took my bow and jumped over to the next gully which had really thick blackberry in it. I basically only had 20-30 minutes of light left when two pigs came in. A black and white slightly larger one and a black little one. I was in a bad spot to move so I waited for them to walk towards me. I put my pin where I thought the black/white one would appear but he spotted me with only a meter left to walk. As he was trying to make sense of what I was the black one appeared. I moved my sight and took the shot. They both took of in full pace. To my disappointment they entered head high blackberries. I found the arrow and the blood trail but wasn't too keen to crawl in after a pig after dark. I came back the very next morning and tried to belly crawl through the tunnels they made in the blackberries. After 20 m and lots of swearing I called it quits. No bacon for me, at least the property owner was happy there was once less feral rooting up the soil on his land.

    My last hunt was a late morning hunt back in the gully where we had seen the white antler less buck previous day. I sat and waited until about 10 am when I for the first time heard a decent grunt. Excited I made my way into some thicker native bush. I was now 60-70 m from the grunting. I rattled... no response, I doe called... no response, I bashed a tree and still no response. This fellow was not moving.

    I started to close the gap when suddenly I heard a twig snap behind me. An young buck with a few points came walking in behind me. He was about 25-30 m away when I settled the pin on his chest. The shooting lane wasn't perfect and knew the moment I released the arrow the big buck I was stalking would be gone as well. Once again I opted to let down and watch him walk away.

    I made it another 5-10 m towards the big buck which now was within 50 m but with bushes in-between us. Two young bucks came walking in from my right. 4 deer spotted in a short time! I did not plan to shoot these as I wanted to chance on the bigger boy...the bucks had different plans and walked straight towards me. At 10 m their heads went behind a tree and I automatically came to full draw. Hoping they would veer off to the side. I was as still as I could when one of them gave me a quartering too shot at 6-7 m. The options ran through my head. If they run into me... they spook and all deer are gone. I shoot, I get some venison but the big buck is gone.... last hunt and I rather have something than nothing so I took the shot. I am shooting a 490 grain arrow with a VPA three blade and #77 at 29.5" DL so you can believe my surprise when I saw the arrow stick to the deer and snap off once he ran past a tree. In auto-pilot I nocked a second arrow and before he could get out of sight I ran it through his chest. What just happened?

    Later once I got home this is what I found....

    I used to shoot mechanicals but had two none pass through shots. One on a small sambar with a gravedigger (still lethal double lung) and one on a goat with a Ulmer edge (lethal as well). However this has made me a firm believer that if you hit the wrong spot you need all the help you can get. I was lucky on this one as the shoulder knuckle was cut in three and the leg bone broken so I got one lung. The second shot sealed the deal faster. Something to think about if when choosing your gear for a particular hunt.

    I took all the meat plus some caul fat and the heart from this young buck. All in all I had a good hunt which taught me a whole lot and hopefully I can put this into practise and locate the public land buck I have been trying to find.

    Until next time...
    Not all deer make the record book, but they all make mine

  9. #9
    The winner for May is Assassin for his thread Blood Sweat and Beers, which is the forum group hunt. This thread has mulitple posters, so maybe if drawn as the overall winner, another draw can be had at the next group hunt, as there were plenty of notable posters within this thread.

    The guys showing what the forum is really all about, sharing in a love for a pastime that has been around since the dawn of man. Hunting!!
    Not all deer make the record book, but they all make mine

  10. #10
    GOATIO is the June Winner of the stories comp and is now in the running for the Hoyt. nice recount mate and good grassroots hutning at its finest

    So after a morning cuppa, I turned up at 8.30am and chatted with the property owner . He was well and pointed me in the general direction of some goats he had seen a couple of days before. He's had them all the way up to and in his garden, but not recently.
    I drove up through a few paddocks and parked near a tree line as my plan was to stay hidden , sneak along the tree line , not head up into the wooded hills but spot and stalk down to the meadows.
    So off I went - all geared up with no experience just what I've read here ( for four years).
    Walk slow & quiet , expect anything.
    Well nobody mentioned eagle eye kangaroos bedding around every corner but I was learning this.
    I slowly came over to the large meadow I saw 7 or 8 goats feeding relatively close to the tree line I was in , I was up about 10 meters and crept into about 35 yards but ther were a few branches hampering the shot of a nice looking black nanny, there was no real way to get closer but as I tried I gave myself away on some leaves .
    Having heard me they briskly left To my right , I followed staying in the tree line, hoping to come across them again.
    I did , ten minutes later , blacky was 30 yards above me staring at me wondering what I was doing.
    Well I was nocking an arrow ,Drew and missed . The servere up hill had thrown me , the arrow arced and ricochet off the rock it was stood on . Blacky viewed this as a good thing but scarpered up hill never to be seen again ( like my arrow).
    Well that was a little bit disappointing but not all bad at all.
    After looking for my arrow for way to long I thought I'd sit down , take in the view and some refreshments , pull out the binos and see what was across the hills. Not a lot , but I could hear goats bleeding down in the meadow so off I went.
    I saw a mob of about 10 nannys about 250 yards away and crept in ,putting the two or three trees between us as I advanced, the mob was dispersed but three were head down and about 22 yards from a few large rocks I was going to use as my final cover, the final twenty yards my heart really started to race but once I got to my cover rocks I relaxed myself and just watched them for what felt like quite a while ( was probably two minutes ) .
    The three were nannys , I was waiting for one to offer a good shot, the middle one presented its side, I drew back my ChilR, rested my pin on its ribs and released!
    I couldn't make out where I had hit it as a hurried off, but it's mates left her as she moved about 10 yards a nd lied down.
    I stayed still for a couple of minutes before checking on her, as I got closer she got up and moved 7 yards ,gut shot . i renocked and finished the job, she expired 30 seconds later.
    I felt bad about the first poor shot but elated about my first goat, the stalk was awsome and the shot in the end had the desired effect.
    Attachment 22614

    It took me a couple of hours to dress ,skin & take the head , I had all my gear with me except a saw to take its little horns. Whilst I was sorting her out the other goats she had been with came back and got to within about 35 yards, I ignored them but I was expecting a bit more fear.?
    So I walked back to the triton, head and bow in hand at about 2pm with plans of curry and wine, I went back to where I was staying the long way through Tenterfield to pick up some ingredients .
    She made an awsome curry with sharwoods tandoori paste , tinned tomatoes and sour cream, delicious.

    Attachment 22613

    The next day I got there just after nine , after three weeks of waking up early I had finally slept in a bit , ( popped my goat cherry)
    I drove straight to my usual parking spot , the head minus the horns that I'd left on a rock had gone , I'd have to try whistling for foxes.
    I started up through the tree line again , going slower , quieter .
    Just three hundred yards from the car and around a few rocky mounds I spotted some billies, I crept closer.
    A brown one seemed to be the pick of the lot but I couldn't get close enough without giving myself away and they were moving away slowly.
    I decided to head them off at the pass!
    I made a plan to back out , go around a couple rocky mounds and sneak in through a tree/creek line and head them off about 30 yards from where they were now .
    I made it around without any hassle and got in for a shot at about 30 yards , patiently I waited and finally along they came but my shot went high ! The arrow hit the top of the shoulder and had no penitration, they all bolted , I followed ,but they dissapeered through fences and up hills.
    I wasn't pleased with my form, I shoot a lot better in practice ,out further and often . Real world scenarios were making me nervous.
    I had spotted some what I thought were nannys through the trees about 250 yards away from where I was and decided I needed the stalking practice so I followed a fence line , out of sight up to about 45 yards and got spotted. They scurried up the hill and watched me .
    Two were further down the hill feeding , so trying to keep out of sight of the lot that were wary, I crawled towards the feeders . Two became three and two of them had quite large horns. To get closer I had to give up cover to the wary lot , and they were wary! I was spotted straight away and they put out a warning that was heeded by the three I was trying to stalk and they moved , luckily I was in between them and the hill the others were on so they went across , I got a little closer but they kept out of range .
    I got myself in some long grass and waited , the wary ones were 70 yards up a hill watching me , the others were slowly heading for a small crest , I layed down , didn't move and very slowly watched them slowly walk out of view over some rocks, I was being watched by the last wary goat the entire time ( probably half an hour chillin in the grass) ,
    But as soon as the three went over those rocks I was hot on them , I got to the rocks and they were 20 yards beyond , I drew back and let the closest large boy have it , the other only had one horn, he could wait.
    Attachment 22615
    He limped away and lied down , I second arrowed him and he expired quickly.
    He was pretty big & heavy , my first billie! I was pretty chuffed. This was a keeper.
    I gutted him there , went and got the 4x4 to take him back to where I was staying as after the curry the night before they said they'd gladly except some goat for the freezer.
    On the way home I had another first : there's causeways along the road , one of thems a bit hefty , I thought I'd passed the deep one, NO, I hit it at a 100 kph , all four wheels off at once!
    she came down pretty loud but nothing to cry about . Wasn't expecting to jump the ute! Lol.
    Attachment 22616
    Hung him overnight
    Attachment 22617
    The next day was quite relaxed . I'd done what I wanted to but wasn't gonna waste the day.
    It felt like going for a refreshing walk , no expectations , just happy to be there , taking my bow for a walk.
    I parked in the reserved area and followed my usual lines.
    Nothing appeared , but that was ok, the weather had changed , it looked like it was going to rain later.
    I carried along further than before , spotted some far away and heard plenty in the valley.
    I hopped a fence a and bumped right into a couple of kids, they ran over to their mother ,whom I hadn't seen thanks to the long grass they were in . I was 25 yards ,but wasn't feeling blood hungry so walked around.
    The moms finally noticed me and hurried off with kids in tow.
    A few hundred yards later I came across a large bunch of nannys but they spotted me and headed for the bushes.
    I then came across a couple of small damns with loads of pig sign, I thought it was time for a pew and sat under a tree over looking the damns , I nocked an arrow , just in case (learning off you guys) and chilled,ate and waited a while.
    A black small goat came along and headed to the further away damn, then, a big whity came along , he only had one horn, it was the one from the day before! He waltzed right up to the damn I was sitting next to luckily I had ranged the different sides when I sat.
    41 yards , I drew back ,still sat , and released.the arrow did a good job, I wound the chillr up a bit the night before.
    A pass through and old one horn didn't go 10yards and died.
    Attachment 22618
    As I was taking his straps, a mob was going to come to the damns but saw me and scarpered. I later followed their direction and found them 25 yards over the hill but didn't fancy it.
    I thought I'd head back towards the car and farmhouse and say thanks to the owner and saw a small billie ,stalked in a way , got spotted but this little fella just didn't pay any notice.
    Attachment 22619
    He ran 20 yards and expired.
    I also spotted , got spotted by some rabbits on the way back, as I was changing broad heads to small game heads the phone rang , it was a while before I got off the blower , then when I got around the rocks I spotted a cat , awsome , was just about to draw back and realised I was 200 yards from the house and it might be a pet.....
    Turned out it was , and the good one that got big rabbits! I was welcome to shoot the black one as he was useless. Lol.
    All up I had a great time . Maybe a night too long away from the family , but can't wait to get back one day soon.
    I came here two years prior with my brother ,but only spent one day hunting and got nothing.
    I lost a range finder pouch , guess what I bumped into on my last afternoon:) that's right!
    Not all deer make the record book, but they all make mine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts