TUSX

Thread: what oil ?

what oil ?

I've recently purchased a petrol rodeo with 260,000K kms on the clock ,it had little use before I got it so the engine oil is a little murky. My question is ,would it be ok,if 1,i drop the oil and filter, 2, fill it with a diesel engine oil, run it for a couple of hours 3, drop that oil and filter then replace with suitable petrol engine oil ? cheers kerry
    It's not going to hurt anything Kerry....the other way to do it is to just change the oil & filter, drive it for 500-1000 km then re-change them. I'd probably stay clear of an engine oil flush additive if it hasn't had a change in along while. Although I use a flush on most vehicles I service before changing the oil and filter....the thing you have to wary of is "washing" carbon deposits away from areas that may be sealed by only those said deposits!?!

Mick:cool:
    Sitting back from your trophy to make it appear bigger only makes you look smaller!

Public Relations Officer, Head Bowhunting Instructor & past "Supreme Commander"- Pacific Bowmen inc
    Game Hunters Association of Australia inc - Life Member
    ABA Bowhunting Instructor
    ADA qualified measurer
    Former Game Council R Licence Examiner

Assassin Automotive Solutions

We'll "take care" of your problems

Quarry Road, Murwillumbah , NSW. Ph: 0481 303965
    yeah makes sense thanx Mick, probly go for the alternative you suggest then , cheers kerry
    Whats the thinking behind filling with diesel oil for flushing?
    eject, EJECT!!
    Quote Originally Posted by disco stu View Post
    Whats the thinking behind filling with diesel oil for flushing?
    Probably something to do with the detergents in the diesel engine oils, I'm guessing there's either more or its' heavier duty
    "Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" - Fred Bear

Mathews Monster Safari 85# - PSE Stinger X 70# - Tred Barta Longbow 70#

what oil ?

For years my father and also myself we put half to 1lt of diesel in with the oil run till warm then drain it helps clean the inside and thins old oil so drains all the sludge out better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Even in the performance circles they were running diesel engine oil constantly due to the additives they were thinning out in petrol engine oil.
    "Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" - Fred Bear

Mathews Monster Safari 85# - PSE Stinger X 70# - Tred Barta Longbow 70#
    Quote Originally Posted by Jap View Post
    Even in the performance circles they were running diesel engine oil constantly due to the additives they were thinning out in petrol engine oil.
    (not exactly for you Jap but said for others who may not no know what you're on about)
    zinc (zddp), people were losing lobes off cams etc when it was removed, it's since been fixed by cam companies but guys still like to have the zinc etc for peace of mind....it's also believed to keep the engine cleaner the normal petrol oils (i have no idea if this part is true).............
    Cheers guys. I've never heard of anyone using diesel oil for petrol before. They obviously work the crank journals harder being much higher compression etc, I just never realised there was much difference in the oil that would make an improvement. Surprised to hear there is zinc in diesel oil as well
    eject, EJECT!!
    Mainly, as others have already said, used as diesel oils are a hi-detergent oil and generally more stable under higher pressure....although most modern semi-synthetic petrol engine oils these days have additives upon additives in them to take care of a myriad of possible problems...:cool:
    Sitting back from your trophy to make it appear bigger only makes you look smaller!

Public Relations Officer, Head Bowhunting Instructor & past "Supreme Commander"- Pacific Bowmen inc
    Game Hunters Association of Australia inc - Life Member
    ABA Bowhunting Instructor
    ADA qualified measurer
    Former Game Council R Licence Examiner

Assassin Automotive Solutions

We'll "take care" of your problems

Quarry Road, Murwillumbah , NSW. Ph: 0481 303965