Bowhunting Downunder
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Favourite hunting knife. Show em off.

Post a pic of favourite hunting knife and tell us a bit about why you like it etc.
    And I mean a practical hunting blade too gentlemen, not a 1 kilo lump of steel that you are going brawl gladiators with.
    Cheers Rhino
    Last edited by Rhino1; 12th January 2017 at 10:43 PM.
    Civilware Striker - one super nice knife and a cool story behind the company. US made

They have a newer version of this model out now.

Craig Hailes

Host of Hunting Camp Downunder Podcast

Wingham, NSW 2429
    +61 439 471 949
    huntingcampdownunder@gmail.com
    @huntingcampdownunder
    @craighailes
    Decent looking blade hailes, not many production blades made from file steel around
    Just ordered a Benchmade Crooked River folder - from their Hunt series - when it arrives I'll do a review - I think it will make a good camp/utility knife...always been a fan of drop points - and I love the look of this blade....

http://www.benchmade.com/crooked-river-family.html
    2014 PSE DNA SP - 65#
    2015 PSE Full Throttle - 64#
    Martin Mamba Recurve - 50#
    Bear Kodiak Magnum 50th Anniversary #55
    WIN_20170113_13_52_59_Pro.jpg
    I love this Lone Wolf drop point and caper combo

simple, good edge, cool brand...

the drop point holds a great edge and the curvature of the handle seems to work well ergonomically- not that I'm any expert- I've never used the caper cos the drop point does everything I want, I'm sure if I ever have the need for it it'll work well enough.... ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino1 View Post
    Decent looking blade hailes, not many production blades made from file steel around
    Thanks Rhino

Unfortunately they have just changed them on the new model, but I hear the steel is as good or better.
    Craig Hailes

Host of Hunting Camp Downunder Podcast

Wingham, NSW 2429
    +61 439 471 949
    huntingcampdownunder@gmail.com
    @huntingcampdownunder
    @craighailes
    Sh1tney (as little as possible), also Central Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by clance79 View Post
    WIN_20170113_13_52_59_Pro.jpg
    I love this Lone Wolf drop point and caper combo

simple, good edge, cool brand...

the drop point holds a great edge and the curvature of the handle seems to work well ergonomically- not that I'm any expert- I've never used the caper cos the drop point does everything I want, I'm sure if I ever have the need for it it'll work well enough.... ;)
    interesting handle shape.
    My first thought was it looks all wrong, but thinking about it, I have a 20+ year old Stanley knife with a handle that is similar shape. It is actually really good to use, and I find I get good control and strong grip with the curved grip. I would get another one, but they no longer available.
    Sh1tney (as little as possible), also Central Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino1 View Post
    Rhino, do you know if you can use file steel as is for a blade? can you just and grind it, or does it need heat treatment after

Favourite hunting knife. Show em off.

Right - 6" "original Bowie knife." Dad bought it when he was 10, gave it to me when I turned 10, was the start of my hunting life.
    Left - 6" Puma SGB with a staghorn handle. Mum bought it for me for my 21st in June last year.

Fairly big knives, but they've both done everything from rabbits to deer.

Jesse.

Sent from my HTC Butterfly 2 using Tapatalk
    The rose petal floats on water. The kingfisher flashes above the pond. Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death - Robert Jordan.
    IMG_0870.jpg

One I made a few years ago Rwl34 steel with Osage Handle, nickel Silver pins.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast