Wild Deer and Hunting Adventures Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arrow opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterbyname&bynature View Post
    Yep and put it in the right spot!

Tunning is vitally important for penetration as an arrow flying dead straight will out penetrate one tail kicking along. Your G5 montecs are a good broadhead, make sure your insert face is square and they spin true. If your bow shoots good groups with them as you walk back I'd adjust your sights to suit the broad head. If they don't shoot good groups then you have some other issue either tuning or form. Good luck, getting broadheads and field points to shoot exactly the same can be a headache that's for sure even though it shouldn't be.

Bert
    Too right hunter. Yeah I have it walk back tuned nicely. The problem is that they consistently shoot lower than FP's. They'll shoot a group pretty much as tight as FP's. Sounds like I got sucked in and bought some pricey flimsy mechanicals haha. Back to the montecs. I'll just do different colour marks on my sight tape for FP'S and BH's. Maybe I'll shoot a rabbit or fox or something with the Reapers just to satisfy the need to shoot something with any new broadhead haha. And I'm liking the look of the widowmaker smash arrows, might go into the shop and check them out against some others. Does anyone know the OD of those arrows? Are they thinner than a standard arrow? Or is it just the outsert that makes the shaft look thin?
    Thanks again.
    They are small outside diameter so you will need to adjust your arrow rest up a touch most likely. Reapers will be fine on foxes goats or even small bodied deer like a fallow doe but given the limited number of shot opportunities that present on Sambar I'd play it safe & stick with your G5's.

Good luck.

Bert
    ADA Member
    ADA Accredited Scorer

#70 Hoyt Nitrum Turbo
    #70 Bear Anarchy

"If your not working to protect hunting then you are working to destroy it" FRED BEAR
    Go with the Carbon Express Pile Driver Hunters, you can't go wrong quality arrow from the USA not China! The 3 blade G5 are perfect. As for them not hitting where your field points do who cares your not shooting sambar with field points. Tune your bow shoot it through paper get it spot on. At 65lb. and 28" you will need either 250 or 350 spine. If unsure go with the 350's I use them at 80lb and 29". As for the small diameter arrows we can't find any that are consistent and as for the insert outserts they are rubbish all importers are having problems getting them consistent, they admit it. I just bought some a few weeks ago and the insert/outserts are woeful! The fit was like a cock in a sock, I would be ashamed to sell them.
    www.trevorwillistaxidermy.com

www.alpinehuntingconsultants.com
    I've used 3 different types of the Aussie/china arrows and yes Trev they all do have variability in the outsert fit. I just use a thick 5 min araldite to glue them on and so far haven't had any trouble with getting them to spin up or stay on. Have had a few bend when hitting bone but by then it's done it's job & just glue on another outsert.

Still good value in my books but each to their own.

Bert
    ADA Member
    ADA Accredited Scorer

#70 Hoyt Nitrum Turbo
    #70 Bear Anarchy

"If your not working to protect hunting then you are working to destroy it" FRED BEAR
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiehunter View Post
    Thanks magilla. I've tuned the bow as much as I can with my limited knowledge. I'm reasonably confident that it's not my grip. Everything shoots straight out of the bow, the BH's were just hitting low (which I was thinking sorta rules out that it could be bow torque) , I've moved the rest around but to no avail, it's at the point where the FP's move up with the BH's. So it could be timing but as far as I can see and feel it seems fine. Probly just the difference in aerodynamics. I'll just sight in for BH's. Yeah it's not the arrows fault, it's just cos I'm gonna run out of my current arrow soon (cos I loose about 1000 arrows per hour) and want to try something new for my next lot. Yeah I reckon the victory VAP seem pretty good, my little wallet is gonna be even littler haha.
    Thanks again. Jonathan.
    Having your broadheads hitting a bit low is better than having them hit left and right but is harder to fix. Being an overdrive binary I suspect the problem may be the timing, if your arrow is square to the string I would check that first. If that is not the problem then I would try moving the arrow a bit higher but keep it square to the string, some bows prefer that.
    Just sighting your bow for broadheads is fine, that is what most blokes do but as Bert has said it does affect penetration slightly plus it is nice to be able to practice with field points and just switch to broadheads without making any adjustments to your sights.
    Try the Easton PF 300 cheap as chips and killed plenty soft game with them...first of bare shaft then fletched to hit the same spot.. then shoot b/heads - get the b/heads flying well before you even think of going hunting...
    2014 PSE DNA SP - 65#
    2015 PSE Full Throttle - 67#
    Martin Mamba Recurve - 55#
    What size Grim Reapers have you got? I have used the 1-3/8" 125gn and have killed deer, bears and elk with them.
    I wouldn't use the bigger GR's on sambar but would with the smaller models.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRETT.S View Post
    What size Grim Reapers have you got? I have used the 1-3/8" 125gn and have killed deer, bears and elk with them.
    I wouldn't use the bigger GR's on sambar but would with the smaller models.
    Yeah I have the razortip 1-3/8 cut. Hmm sounds like maybe I just got unlucky.
    Thanks for all the input it all helps. Ended up ordering some widowmaker smash 300's from my local shop. They sent the spines off to be cut and get the outserts glued on. They made a real mess of it using 2 different types of glue, smearing it everywhere and even dripping it in the threads. So they guy apologized and ran a thread tap through them and managed to save 7 of the 12 I ordered. I got home and took 2 shots and lost 2 nocks. I glued a couple of the nocks in, they shot great. They pentreated very well. They poke out the back of my block back target by about 3 or so inches so hopefully it doesn't start passing right through the target haha. I did break one of the nocks while shooting too. I was chatting to mick and he kindly answered any questions I had and even sent me new nocks and outserts today to help with a problem that he didn't even cause. I highly recommend dealing with him. The arrows grouped very tight, seemed to be tighter than my old gold tip velocity hunter 350s.
    Thanks again for the help, Jonathan.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12