Oz Hunting and Bows
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sh1tney (as little as possible), also Central Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeMc View Post
    Check out 'Shugemery' YouTube channel and get your mind blown about hammocks and lightweight camping
    that dude is the biggest tool ever. I could not watch more than about 1 minute of his vids without wanting to scoop my ears and eyes out with a soup spoon
    One thing to add; if you happen to be stuck in camp due to horrendous weather, a hammock is small enough to make a one man tent feel like a palace. Just something else to consider.

Jesse.

Sent from my HTC Butterfly 2 using Tapatalk
    The rose petal floats on water. The kingfisher flashes above the pond. Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death - Robert Jordan.
    Mate an underquilt is essential, my Deep Jungle Hennessy has a pad sold with it suppose to stop your back from getting cold but all it does is make moisture. I don't care what anyone say if you want to sleep well on your hunt then you can't afford to be uncomfortable and cold. I can tell you the difference is a mate and I hunted and temp was only 10 deg C at night (not real cold) he had a big super doper sleeping bag and went to bed in every bit of clothing he owned and still froze, I had the underquilt on, a light sleeping bag draped over the top of me, just wore bike shorts and had to stick one leg out as I was getting too hot. That's the difference right there. You can try all sorts to make it work but a sleeping bag cut in half hanging underneath is what it takes because it is not squashed by your weight making the insulation work. My under quits weigh less than the hammock by half. They are Storm Crow 3 seasons Incubator (I have 2 of them and I also use it in my swag instead of hoping into a sleeping bag I simply lay it over the top of me as a blanket and as warm as.

Cheers

Sneak
    Stick, String and Sharp Things what could possibly go wrong?

Sneak, Sneak, Sneak, Whack!!!

RUN BOY RUN UPA TREE UPA TREE!!!!
    Good point Saromango!! Although I guess if you want light weight you have to make sacrifices somewhere

That's good info Sneaky, thanks. I gather from what you're saying that the underquilt doesn't have to be massive and heavy. Thinking about it, its probably easier to keep warm with underquilt in a hammock than a thin mattress on the ground-being squashed under you. Plenty of cold nights doing that!
    eject, EJECT!!
    Stu the underquilt hangs underneath the hammock not in it mate so when you lay in it it is all fluffed up under you. They are light weight Stu and I'm glad I got them.

Sneak

Does the under quilt get wet when it rains?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Hoyt Vector turbo 70# @28.5"
    Axcel Accutouch
    B-Stinger pro-hunter 12"
    Widowmaker Smash 300 + Northern Grunt 125
    Carter Chocolate Addiction

WTB: more time to use it

Sh1tney (as little as possible), also Central Coast
    totally agree with sneaky on the under quilt. an Underquilt stops air circulating against your body. It needs to hang fairly snugly ,but not tight, against the hammock so you don't get a draft against your back. you can regulate warmth with your sleeping bag, or top quilt.
    I have a "summer" duck down under quilt ($100ish), and a winter goose down under quilt (cost me $450ish). I use a duck down sleeping bag unzipped as a quilt.

my fly weighs less than 250 grams, is 12 feet by 9 feet, it can be set up with room to cook under it and keep weather off. If weather is bad, I hang my pack on the hammock suspension strap so its off the ground under my fly. I made my fly, cost me about $75 in materials using ultra light Sil-argon (from DutchWare), because it is so light, I could make it bigger.

I have had my under quilt get damp when there is torrential rain and its windy, or when its foggy, but it doesn't come into contact with your body, a little dampness doesn't matter so long as it gets a chance to dry before storing it.

IMAG1426.jpg
    my fly (actually, my son's fly, mine is the same)
    it can be stretched out wide, or pegged in close to cocoon the hammock when its cold or really windy

getting a set up that works in all conditions isn't going to be the cheapest or easiest option, but I find it gives me the best rest when camping. It can be light and compact, and versatile. It wont work everywhere though. I've camped in really steep country where there is no way you could use a tent or bivvy, I've also been caught out with no suitable trees close enough together, or sometimes trees are to densely spaced. I crash in minutes in my hammock.
    Last edited by mudgudgeon; 18th February 2017 at 06:56 PM.
    Just been checking out dutchware, thanks for the hot tip! Finally, somewhere to get silnylon at a decent price without hassle

Axcel Accutouch
    B-Stinger pro-hunter 12"

Great stuff Mudgy, my underquilt will regulate temperature by losing off the bungy cord on either end so it gets air flow between or lets heat out. My sleeping bag is a Roman Palm Passport -5 deg (thin synthetic) and I don't even get in it just use it for a blanket. Stu like Mudgy say in fog mate everything gets wet so it is important that you can be damp but will be warm if the cold air doesn't whip up your back that's where the underquilt shines (stops the draft and retains heat. I have the big fly for mine as well (small fly in that pic) and the quilt is pretty well protected. A mate had another Hennessy and bought the super doper bad weather add ons and it had a foam pad that was suppose to retain heat and it was a complete fail and made that much moisture you could wring it out.

Sneak

Sneak
    Last edited by Sneaky; 18th February 2017 at 08:19 PM.

Yeah i've been caught out by fog before. Planning to switch to a tarp setup and that's one of the things i wondered about

Axcel Accutouch
    B-Stinger pro-hunter 12"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast