Bowhunting Downunder
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: after the kill

Quote Originally Posted by Matti w View Post
    Best method for a good meat hang.
    40 degrees total hang.
    So let's say the average temp in your cool room is 4 degrees then 10 days. If you don't have a cool room same applies to the average 24hr day temp. If your meat is hanging at an average of 20 degrees day temp, then 2 days. Work off this and Your meat will be at the right stage of decay. Coolroom or not.
    Obviously with a fast hang(no cool room) there's more room for error as your window is smaller. But if your onto it and diligent, its all good.
    Never fails....then freeze.
    So does this mean that your meat won't spoil even at 20c for 2 days? How far out can you extend this-1 day at 40c?
    eject, EJECT!!
    Quote Originally Posted by disco stu View Post
    So does this mean that your meat won't spoil even at 20c for 2 days? How far out can you extend this-1 day at 40c?
    Yes it does. Although meat hung in 40c would be something I wouldn't make a habit of and probably isn't great considering temp effects, anyway there are ways to cool meat down in a hang without a coolroom.(wet cloth and hung in wind or front of fan.) But have done plenty over 2 days or a day and overnight. 40-45 total. Never had an issue in 20yrs and I get a great result.
    Mobile butchers work off this principle when leaving there coolrooms on properties, Remember to take the average ambient temp of the 24hr day.
    Always cover and protect the meat.
    Good to know. Thanks Matti. I'm guessing leaving skin on etc to protect the meat is the go
    eject, EJECT!!
    Quote Originally Posted by disco stu View Post
    Good to know. Thanks Matti. I'm guessing leaving skin on etc to protect the meat is the go
    leaving the skin on prevents the meat drying out on the outside, esp if hung in wind or if your coolroom fan has some go. ����
    Quote Originally Posted by Matti w View Post
    Best method for a good meat hang.
    40 degrees total hang.
    So let's say the average temp in your cool room is 4 degrees then 10 days. If you don't have a cool room same applies to the average 24hr day temp. If your meat is hanging at an average of 20 degrees day temp, then 2 days. Work off this and Your meat will be at the right stage of decay. Coolroom or not.
    Obviously with a fast hang(no cool room) there's more room for error as your window is smaller. But if your onto it and diligent, its all good.
    Never fails....then freeze.
    That sounds like a great method Matti....I have always hung and aged meat for a week in a cool room/fridge some larger deer carcasses up to 10 days....You are right about the enzymes, they break down the protein and make it tender (as well as taking away a lot of the gamey taste).

I take an old zip-up single bed doona cover and hang the carcass in that as it cools...also old pillow cases for cuts/legs etc. These can also be kept wet with water to aid in the cooling process.. Ideally meat shouldn't be in plastic as it cools...this promotes bacteria growth that can be not that cool....

I also usually wipe down the inside and outside of the carcass with vinegar before aging...I find it not only disinfects but also aids in the gamey flavor being reduced....

The most important thing is to keep flies etc away from it, and air flow helps a lot too....why do you think you see meat rooms at a lot of older farms made purely from fly-screen with a tin roof?

Cheers,

Mick :cool:
    Last edited by assassin; 20th February 2017 at 08:48 PM.

Public Relations Officer & recently confirmed "Supreme Commander"- Pacific Bowmen inc
    Game Hunters Association of Australia inc
    ABA Bowhunting Instructor
    ADA qualified measurer
    Former Game Council R Licence Examiner

Assassin Automotive Solutions

We'll "take care" of your problems

Quarry Road, Murwillumbah , NSW. Ph: 0481 303965
    6-8 hours at 75 degrees C usually turns out nice and tender for me. :D
    Last edited by clinton miller; 20th February 2017 at 08:58 PM.
    The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

The mountains song
    is not heard by all
    But the lure is strong
    who hear its call. -Tony Stojanovski

Border Black Douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
    brigalow selfbow with rawhide string
    Quote Originally Posted by clinton miller View Post
    6-8 hours at 75 degrees c usually turns out nice and tender for me. :d
    ^ ^ ^ Hahaha....mmm, I'm Hungry now! :D

Public Relations Officer & recently confirmed "Supreme Commander"- Pacific Bowmen inc
    Game Hunters Association of Australia inc
    ABA Bowhunting Instructor
    ADA qualified measurer
    Former Game Council R Licence Examiner

Assassin Automotive Solutions

We'll "take care" of your problems

Quarry Road, Murwillumbah , NSW. Ph: 0481 303965
    Quote Originally Posted by assassin View Post
    That sounds like a great method Matti....I have always hung and aged meat for a week in a cool room/fridge some larger deer carcasses up to 10 days....You are right about the enzymes, they break down the protein and make it tender (as well as taking away a lot of the gamey taste).

I take an old zip-up single bed doona cover and hang the carcass in that as it cools...also old pillow cases for cuts/legs etc. These can also be kept wet with water to aid in the cooling process.. Ideally meat shouldn't be in plastic as it cools...this promotes bacteria growth that can be not that cool....

I also usually wipe down the inside and outside of the carcass with vinegar before aging...I find it not only disinfects but also aids in the gamey flavor being reduced....

The most important thing is to keep flies etc away from it, and air flow helps a lot too....why do you think you see meat rooms at a lot of older farms made purely from fly-screen with a tin roof?

Cheers,

Mick :cool:
    Yep I agree Mick. Great tips for new wild meat eaters out there. :)
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123