Apex Archery
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: after the kill

The yanks think putting meat straight into an ice slurry is a good thing and removes the game taste. I think they have rocks in their head. You want to avoid submerging any meat in water... worst idea ever! Putting meat on ice is fine as long as it goes in a bag first...
    Schafer Silvertip Recurve 61#
    Mathews NoCam HTR 70#
    Native Heatseeker .300's
    VPA 200gr Penetrators
    Matti w sounds like an easy to follow method. Thanks for the tip
    Every few months i'll hang one or two beef in the coolroom for 3 weeks. 1 week is great and beter on the power bill however the longer it hangs the more the enzymes break down thus making the meat more tender. I'll take the rib bones off before a week is through before the mould sets in but other than that and a bit of trimming it makes a brahman cross half good eating.
    I think it goes without saying, that once in freezer, turn the cuts once or twice before solid to prevent getting the jimmy bar out!
    hey rhino, I know what you mean regarding the heat generated from the reds, put my meat in the two 50lt waeco fridges set at 4 degrees, they went into over load with the heat , I turned the meat around every 30mins , still took several hours ..
    image.jpg
    I got a pretty good set up these days, picked up this ex commercial fridge for $250, that's a sheep hanging. Easy fits a whole red deer cut in half, also have a bandsaw and electric mincer, Iv found 3-4 days hanging best for deer as longer it tends to dry out too much.
    FEED THE FATE, STARVE THE DOUBT
    Quote Originally Posted by mexican View Post
    Attachment 24505
    I got a pretty good set up these days, picked up this ex commercial fridge for $250, that's a sheep hanging. Easy fits a whole red deer cut in half, also have a bandsaw and electric mincer, Iv found 3-4 days hanging best for deer as longer it tends to dry out too much.

I love that mate!! That's now got my brain ticking....cheers
    Don't make excuses, Live life to the fullest

Hunt hard and often...

Hoyt CRX35 @ 72#
    Easton N-Fused

Mathews Monster Safari @91#
    Easton Full Metal Jacket 250 @17.2gpi
    Another option is a setup a mate of mine has. He bought an old refrigerated shipping container, 20'x8'x8' from memory, and walled off the back half, giving him half fridge and, with a few benches built in, half kitchen. He runs it as a commercial registered kitchen for his berry/jam business, but uses it for game over winter. All up cost about $5000, with the help of some mates to get it up and running. A bit pricey, but you get one hell of a setup in the end. If I remember the next time I'm round there, I'll get a photo.

Jesse.

Sent from my HTC Butterfly 2 using Tapatalk
    50# 68" Custom Jarrah longbow by Ranger Bows.
    Tusker broadheads.

55# 60" Hoyt Gamemaster II.
    CX heritage.
    Widowmaker broadheads.
    One other tip for hunting in extreme heat when you want to take the whole carcass. I've hunted warthog in the summer when day temps went to high 20's and low 30's and did the following.
    I froze 3 x 2Liter plastic cool drink bottles filled with water solid at home and took them along in a cooler box in the morning.
    Then as I've gutted and cleaned the pig out by late morning, I chuck it in a plastic container and packed the frozen plastic bottles one inside the carcass and two against the back legs and put a wet towel over everything to keep the heat and flies out. The frozen water bottles cool down the meat fairly well. Otherwise the meat will spoil before the evening.
    Bowtech Carbon Overdrive & Experience
    600 grain Arrows
    PE Bow Shop
    when hunting away from quick access to my home fridges i use a 100L esky filled with frozen drink bottles. i use these vacuum bags at camp-
    http://www.inthekitchen.com.au/index...&product_id=57

i get the animal back to camp and break it down or bone it out into portions that fit into these bags. use the manual pump to vacuum pack them then place the bags in the esky, then it's golden for 4-5 days. i have added water to make an ice slurry and submerge the bags, other times i haven't added water and just had meat in the bags and whole sides of ribs or other portions that won't fit in the bags lose on top in the esky. no waterlogging occurs because the bottles are sealed.

the bags are reuseable and the manual pump allows vac packing wherever you are. it doesn't create as much vacuum as an electric system but for me the purpose of it is to bag the meat so it can go into an ice slurry for the remainder of the trip and keep it cold until i get home to process it and for that the system has been great.
    Last edited by clinton miller; 18th February 2017 at 07:25 AM.
    The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

The mountains song
    is not heard by all
    But the lure is strong
    who hear its call. -Tony Stojanovski

Border Black Douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
    brigalow selfbow with rawhide string
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast