Archeryville
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Locator beacon

Locator beacon

Its time for me to get a new one and I would like to know who has what and if there I any reason for the particular brand for unit.
    there is so many out there it is difficult to make a decision so any help will be most appreciated.
    I sold one brand for a while. I looked up specs for others to compare for customers etc, and never saw any benefit in the other brands for the extra $.

This was the one I sold, at the shop I worked at (no affiliation now). I don't think I ever saw any other brands for similar or cheaper prices.

Others might have better experience than myself
    eject, EJECT!!
    http://oceansignal.com/products/plb1/

This is what I bought.

Hope never have to find if it works.

Very small and take it when ever go past the city limits even if only driving out of metro limits
    Using the ACR ResQFix, its one of the smaller, lighter units about. GPS equipped as well. Have had to set it off once (car rollover and no phone service) did its job so no complaints here.
    Alan Specketer

I am currently experiencing life at a rate of several WTF's a minute
    Thanks for the input so far guys.

Disco stu sorry mate i dont see the link to the unit.

Myst- glad it all.worked out ok.
    What was the response time out of interest?
    DUH-sorry!! Might help if I actually put the link in there.

http://www.fishingtackleshop.com.au/...s-kti-plb.html

I'm not sure how big the alternatives are, but there were surprisingly tiny. About the size of a pack of cigarettes, 10yr battery life, gps etc. I looked at a few companies about battery replacement and no one offered it. One company offered to do cheaper units to replace one of their old ones, with the price still above $300
    eject, EJECT!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ballz View Post
    Thanks for the input so far guys.

Disco stu sorry mate i dont see the link to the unit.

Myst- glad it all.worked out ok.
    What was the response time out of interest?
    We had a police vehicle arrive a bit over an hour after i flicked the switch, and Careflight arrived about 1 1/2 hours later after landing a fixed wing aircraft on the airstrip of a cattlestation. Backpackers had cleaned up a roo in a Mitsubishi Delica, tore the bullbar off and went over it, which in turn took out the front left wheel cauing them to pinwheel off the road - one had head & suspected spinal injuries, the other was a little shredded by glass, both had shock. Happened out near Gregory National Park, about six hours west of Katherine.
    Alan Specketer

Hi Stu - mate try the Emergency App - I'm led to believe that it doesn't require a signal and will still contact all the emergency services. Obviously if your battery is flat then your ru ted...have yet to try it out - but others may know more about it. No way as good as an eperb or beacon - but may be a cheaper alternative.
    2014 PSE DNA SP - 65#
    2015 PSE Full Throttle - 67#
    Martin Mamba Recurve - 55#
    Emergency app will still require a phone signal, it just doesn't have to be your carriers phone signal, say if your with Vodafone it will use tesltra's signal.

Jesse.

Sent from my HTC Butterfly 2 using Tapatalk
    The rose petal floats on water. The kingfisher flashes above the pond. Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death - Robert Jordan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
    Hi Stu - mate try the Emergency App - I'm led to believe that it doesn't require a signal and will still contact all the emergency services. Obviously if your battery is flat then your ru ted...have yet to try it out - but others may know more about it. No way as good as an eperb or beacon - but may be a cheaper alternative.
    Incorrect - as Jesse mentioned, you still need a signal but that can be from any service provider. It will not work in areas with no phone service. With rescue beacons now under $300 for seven to ten years service life, its a cheap investment that can potentially save your life.

The other ones that i've tested are the SPOT satellite messengers and the Delorme In-Reach. Both send distress signals to an offshore service provider who then forward the information to the Australian search and rescue coordination centre (RCC). Both have issues with transmission in overcast, smokey or foggy conditions or areas of thick to moderate scrub, both have relatively small battery lives and both require subscriptions paid annually.
    Alan Specketer

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast