Bowhunting Downunder

Homemade Forge and Rebar Boning Knife

G'day guys. Been fiddling around in the shed, knocked up a forge running off my air-compressor and made a boning knife out of a piece of rebar with a PVC conduit handle. This is just part one, will finish up in part two pretty soon.

Last edited by Komorebi; 17th July 2017 at 10:26 PM.
    Entertaining video! I've got plans to try knife making eventually, just got too many other projects and studying to finish first. I was planning to try a ground forge, dig a hole in the ground with a pipe running underneath, maybe a hair dryer to blow air into it.

It looked like you used wood. I was planning similar. Does it work alright? I missed my chance to stock up on coal in one job I had

Does reo harden up alright? I always figured it wouldn't harden, but have never found out
    eject, EJECT!!
    Nice work, love the backyarders attitude.
    Thanks guys. Stu yeah plenty of people do them in the ground, I was just going around looking for forge-shaped objects and figured my compressor for the air supply. I was actually thinking of using a compressor tank or a gas bottle for the forge.

Wood was fine, just needed some slow burning lumps of hardwood or else you can cook your own charcoal over a fire but I wasn't too concerned that it was consuming too much timber.

I took ideas from the backyard bowyer and a few others who have rebar knife videos on YouTube. Probably people here who know more about the rebar than me, the stuff I used had 500n stamped on it. Carved up a flathead and a bream a week or so ago, sawing off fins/spikes and it was still sharp enough to cut the skin off an orange real fine afterwards.

Every step of the way making it I was sort of expecting something to go wrong but I've been very pleasantly surprised by the finished product. In part two I'll talk about lessons learned and questions about the process I'd have for those more experienced than me.

Without planning time/watching kids/glue setting I reckon I could have made all the equipment and knife in a bit under two days so it may be more doable than you think.
    Cheers. Look forward to video 2.

I have assignments I have to do-don't tempt me!
    eject, EJECT!!
    Great video mate. Very cool