Apex Archery

ARROW SPINNING TUTORIAL with pictures.

In archery and hunting "no two shots are the same". I believe the same can be said that "no two arrows are the same" as well. The way they are cut and built, weight, insert alignment, broad head alignment etc etc. All we can hope to achieve is to make them as identical as possible to allow us to be more accurate and thus more humane and ethical in our hunting endeavours.

This method may not work for you but i find it works for me in spinning my two bladed broad heads that i use, these being blackstump ironbarks, tusker javilin, and ribtek, i have also spun my mate's magnus stingers like this as well. I'm not sure how you would go using steel adapters, as i don't use but it will give you a good indication of where to start.

what you are going to read and view is a way that i have used to spin my broad heads, all you need is a good hand eye coordination ( hopefully as archers this we possess ), large notepad and arrow spinner ( mine is a $35 pine ridge or simply search YOUTUBE to find how to make one)

PINE RIDGE ARROW SPINNER

firstly i sharpen my arrow then with a broad head wrench or a rag wrapped around the head i tighten it up as shown below.

i then place the arrow on my palm and spin, doing this you can feel and also view any wobble that may occur,
    try spinning with a field tip for practice and to gauge how it should feel.

i now place the arrow on my spinner with 4-6 inches of shaft showing with the head vertical, i place the notepad underneath and align the tip on one line and the next two outer lines i try to get parallel and then view as shown below. to make it easier for this thread i have high lighted the lines and placed some stickers on the blades of the head, these being red and blue. i also placed some stickers on the arrow these being white and yellow.

i now spin the arrow 180 degrees in my hand without trying to move my head and view again as shown below,

the photo above shows that i need to move my head to the right, this i do by placing the tip only on a block of wood and applying downward pressure to correct as shown be

a close up view

we are half way there, i simply follow the process again but instead of having the head vertical i place it horizontal as shown below.

spin 180 degrees and check

the above photo shows that i need to move the tip right to correct, i do this by applying downward pressure to the red side as shown below.

a closer view

another check you can do is to place the lines on the notepad parallel to the edge of your broad head and turn 180 degrees as shown below, i once spun an arrow and shot it and was hitting 2.5 inches to the right at 20 meters. I then checked this and found one side 2mm longer, i then filed it, spun again and shot it and it was spot on.

once done i spin the arrow on my palm, in the spinner, this same method or a combination of these to check.
    i then carefully file a chisel tip onto my point ( harder to gauge feel on palm when tip is chisled ) and then put a little vasoline along my head to aid in penetration and rust proofing.

arrow once spun shot at 40 meters

once a critter has been nailed and arrow retrieved i usually spin to check on my palm and sharpen again, if it is out i simply spin the arrow back at camp later.

i have perfected spinning with this method and it only takes a few minutes to have your heads spinning like a field tip.

it is not the be all and end all of accuracy but i believe it is the little 2-3 % that all adds up at the end of the day, which could be the difference of getting a photo of your trophy running away or you standing behind it.

i hope this helps some newbies and possibly some oldies

all the best scotty :)
    VPA prostaff, BONE SPLITTING PERFORMANCE.

LIVE THE HUNT
    There's some great information in there Scotty, well done mate, and thank you for sharing.
    When I first started shooting with broadheads in prep for hunting, I couldn't believe how much difference it made to my shot with even the slightest alignment issue from my arrows. I've since overhauled how I set up arrows from scratch paying attention to consistent weight, FOC and in particular broadhead sharpening and spinning like you've described here.
    I've seen a few guys overlook this aspect of arrow tuning but end up going back to it pretty quickly because it caused them so many headaches and grey hairs lol.
    Thanks for the write up, I've added a few more notes to my system for arrow tuning so you've just added another 2-3% for me!

Cheers,
    Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Graham 1967 View Post
    There's some great information in there Scotty, well done mate, and thank you for sharing.

Thanks for the write up, I've added a few more notes to my system for arrow tuning so you've just added another 2-3% for me!

Cheers,
    Paul
    Thanks paul. Glad you found it of use. I posted this back in 2012 just reposted here after finding it again deep within the forum.

LIVE THE HUNT
    Yep, this is gold.
    I do this all the time now (since the first post, Ta scottie) and won't loose an arrow on live game if it hasn't been spin tested and now that I only shoot trad- imo is as crucial as correct nock point and brace in a bowhunting situation.
    Its also an eye opener as to how badly off centre some "good" brand Broadheads can be
    Last edited by Rhino1; 13th January 2018 at 02:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino1 View Post
    Yep, this is gold.
    I do this all the time now (since the first post, Ta scottie) and won't loose an arrow on live game if it hasn't been spin tested and now that I only shoot trad- imo is as crucial as correct nock point and brace in a bowhunting situation.
    Its also an eye opener as to how badly off centre some "good" brand Broadheads can be
    cheers dude.

ive not tried for awhile but the search function does not really work anymore so I thought I would copy and past this tutorial here so it could be found easier for people to use.

certainly helps is getting the best arrow flight you can in your set up.

LIVE THE HUNT
    I too learned off this when you first posted it years ago.Thanks again for taking the time to write this up.

I imagine that the broadhead being off centre vertically (like in your first alignment steps) would make more than 3% difference. Not that I've measured, but your rudder at the front is pointing it off centre. This post showed me how to fix it
    eject, EJECT!!