2Blade Productions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

opinions on string silencers

hi guys
    i have a carbon defiant and was wanting to quiet it down abit as it lets of abit of noise when fired just curious if any body has any ideas they have to offer.
    cheers
    Shooting heavier arrows has multiple benefits, cats' whiskers are great also.
    "Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" - Fred Bear

Mathews Monster Safari 85# - PSE Stinger X 70# - Tred Barta Longbow 70#
    Don't use brass nocking spots, with heat-shrink wrap. Those things are [EDIT: difficult] when the string gets older, and they fly off at all angles.

Plastic silencers, like whiskers or Nitro speed nocks, are far better.
    cheers guys
    i added some mathews monkey tails it made a little difference but still is a bit noisey, i was worried cats wiskers might slow me bow down. might give them a go and see what happens.
    I find that cats whiskers work well for me. I have a PSE StingerX 60lb and it made a noticeable difference for me.
    One thing I have done is to apply a bit of serving above and below the cats whiskers before I tie them on. I found that the top one would slip down after 20 or so shots. When you apply them, double the material up so the 'ball' is smaller and trim them back to about the size of a golf ball.
    I've seen some people put them on cables but I haven't ventured that far yet.
    You will need to press your bow - but feed the whiskers through the string and they will never move.
    2014 PSE DNA SP - 65#
    2015 PSE Full Throttle - 67#
    Martin Mamba Recurve - 55#
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Graham 1967 View Post
    I find that cats whiskers work well for me. I have a PSE StingerX 60lb and it made a noticeable difference for me.
    One thing I have done is to apply a bit of serving above and below the cats whiskers before I tie them on. I found that the top one would slip down after 20 or so shots. When you apply them, double the material up so the 'ball' is smaller and trim them back to about the size of a golf ball.
    I've seen some people put them on cables but I haven't ventured that far yet.
    thanks paul for the info i will definitly get some and try it out
    Agree with Paul.
    I also find catwhiskers the most effective to silence string twang.
    A little bit of tight serving on the string just on the nock side of the whiskers will prevent them sliding towards the middle of the string.
    What I do is to fold the rubber strip 3 fold, clamp it on the string with 2 clothes pegs on the ends and then tie serving over and under very tightly with double overhand knots 3 or 4 times, end the knot with a few single overhand locks and then give the short tag a quick burn with a lighter to prevent the knot from coming undone. A 16-17cm strip of rubber folded 3 times makes a nice golf ball size catwhisker.

Oh and place the top and bottom whiskers different distances from the cams to dampen a wider frequency range.
    Bowtech Reign 6 & Experience
    600 grain Arrows
    If you don't have any serving material lying around, dental floss works just as well and costs heaps less.

Jesse.

Sent from my HTC Butterfly 2 using Tapatalk
    The rose petal floats on water. The kingfisher flashes above the pond. Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death - Robert Jordan.
    I go too Bunnings and buy a hockey strap, cut it too the size I want then remove the outer covering and bingo cheap cat wishers, I use really small cable ties too put them on, never had an issue either.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast