VPA
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New competitions........

The most Amazing StuBallz and myself have been trying to resurrect the now dead competition section, with help from the "Super Moderator" Ozzy Shane. We are trying to re-energize the forum with new interest in posting stuff....

Ant is busy working away, and as such hasn't been able to action the requests from Stu to start a new Competition section.....sponsored by Stu. Hopefully this will be taken care of very soon.

I myself started a mechanical advice section, which was a hit when it first started....but now the crickets are making more noise than anyone asking questions......FREE mechanical advice, where else can you find that?!?

Has anyone else got any suggestions on how to re-energize this great forum?

Or any businesses that might want to sponsor competitions ? (based on submissions to the various sections on the forum)

I am looking forward to hearing every-ones suggestions...

Cheers,

Mick

Public Relations Officer, Head Bowhunting Instructor & past "Supreme Commander"- Pacific Bowmen inc
    Game Hunters Association of Australia inc (Foundation member)
    ABA Bowhunting Instructor
    ADA qualified measurer
    Former Game Council R Licence Examiner

Assassin Automotive Solutions

We'll "take care" of your problems

Quarry Road, Murwillumbah , NSW. Ph: 0481 303965
    I suggest image hosting on server (obviously with external linking blocked)
    Not sure how the forum code goes, but something similar to how tapatalk does it mid post if possible.

Some poor sucker be stuck with archiving outdated posts.
    Revamp of the large number of pointless sub menus so that posts put in those sections are actually noticed.
    Update on the forsale rules requiring op to update initial post with [sold] when post is closed and a script to auto clear all [sold] to an archive folder.
    Script to auto flag sale posts 28 days old to op and gives them 14 days to verify it's still for sale before its archived...

Maybe something for aba/hunting clubs to let them know we exist.
    Bumper stickers might be going a bit far tho

If you want a competition to improve our user base and profile how about a recruit a club mate competition? R-lic, Aba member number or something similar so people aren't signing up people who aren't interested.

Maybe a 3d target for the club with highest % of its registered members signed up on the forum...

-= The Matter is Void =-
    Last edited by Fragarach; 11th August 2017 at 03:45 AM.
    -= The Matter is Void =-
    I never thought to ask my car questions in the mechanical section. I own a BA falcon, so..... :) Hate that car!

I agree with getting rid of the old forums that aren't relevant. Many comp forums that should go, and the sub menus as well like mentioned.

It would be nice to be able to trawl through old for sale posts to get an idea what something is worth, but cleaning that up is a good idea.

So there is a moderator around. I was starting to feel like a school kid when the teacher didn't show up to class!!
    eject, EJECT!!
    I'd need to think about ideas, but I would love to see the ability to close a Classified thread once i sold the item, still have it available to view for price comparison etc, but I feel it would be alot cleaner.

Ill start mentioning the forum on the podcast, given that this site has help me out for many years.
    Probably the biggest thing is for people to keep posting hunting stories and photos. It keeps everyone interested and inspires more than anything else. I know it is hard and takes time to do but I think it is worthwhile.
    The slothful man roasteth not that which he took in hunting: but the substance of a diligent man is precious.
    Proverbs 12:27
    Maybe those that run hunting safaris - the good Michael Baker esquire and the like, could host a hunting safari as a prize for a competition. Now I know with that sort of prize on offer - it would generate a lot of interest.
    2014 PSE DNA SP - 65#
    2015 PSE Full Throttle - 67#
    Martin Mamba Recurve - 55#
    Like most forums, I suspect that 80% of the content is created by 20% of the members, so encouraging those that post little to post more is the key. I don't think that comps are necessarily the answer, some forums I visit have no comps yet the numbers are growing rapidly.

This is a niche market within a niche market, so numbers are never going to be large like some other pursuits, or other countries (i.e. the US).

That said, how about adding an ad hoc comp ability for someone that wants to run a one off? E.g. I work in a winery and could probably find a couple of bottles of plonk to put up for a comp, or could be some equipment that is sitting on the shelf waiting for 'ron' to come and use it.

I used to post fairly regularly my fishing trips on other forums, so I will try and do the same for here - even a quick 1/2hr walk should have something interesting in it.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by flyonline View Post
    suspect that 80% of the content is created by 20% of the members
    Hi, newbie here who's just recently gotten visible after a bit of lurking. I think you're on the money with that one, I was on this forum recently and happened to glance at the bottom of the page.....It said something like 20-odd registered users and 283 guests. I thought at the time it may have been a bug in the forum software but on consideration, maybe not?

Perhaps some or a lot of those guests are bots, but even so I'm guessing that there's a high amount of people out there that are just sucking up the I.P from this forum without contributing. Me, I like to earn my keep, so I'm aiming to throw up a few posts and hopefully create some churn, meagre as my ability to impart bowhunting knowledge may be :)

At the risk of sounding like a cranky old mid-forties man, we seem to be in the times of a short attention spanned, grammatically challenged population. Facebook, Youtube and Instagram are the go-to destinations and forums like this are the niche (to borrow the term) destinations of thoughtful and thorough individuals.

I did a search while composing this, it appears that the forum doesn't have a presence on Facebook or Instagram. Perhaps having a social media presence could be a way of increasing visitors, and out of those a few might register,leading to some more posts? I know that it'll be work for someone in the mod/admin space to put content up, perhaps it can just be links to exemplary pics or threads; a teaser to get people clicking through and onto the forum?
    Last edited by Justo; 11th August 2017 at 06:35 PM.
    Bottle of plonk for Justo!
    eject, EJECT!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragarach View Post
    I suggest image hosting on server (obviously with external linking blocked)
    Not sure how the forum code goes, but something similar to how tapatalk does it mid post if possible.

Some poor sucker be stuck with archiving outdated posts.
    Revamp of the large number of pointless sub menus so that posts put in those sections are actually noticed.
    Update on the forsale rules requiring op to update initial post with [sold] when post is closed and a script to auto clear all [sold] to an archive folder.
    Script to auto flag sale posts 28 days old to op and gives them 14 days to verify it's still for sale before its archived...

Maybe something for aba/hunting clubs to let them know we exist.
    Bumper stickers might be going a bit far tho

If you want a competition to improve our user base and profile how about a recruit a club mate competition? R-lic, Aba member number or something similar so people aren't signing up people who aren't interested.

Maybe a 3d target for the club with highest % of its registered members signed up on the forum...

-= The Matter is Void =-
    Some good suggestions there mate...there was a sticker around years ago on the original forum, I still have 1!

The way I see it is it's not about trying to recruit new members, it's about making those that are members keep active on the forum..and also helping those real people that are trying to join actually join.

Cheers,

Mick

Public Relations Officer, Head Bowhunting Instructor & past "Supreme Commander"- Pacific Bowmen inc
    Game Hunters Association of Australia inc (Foundation member)
    ABA Bowhunting Instructor
    ADA qualified measurer
    Former Game Council R Licence Examiner

Assassin Automotive Solutions

We'll "take care" of your problems

Quarry Road, Murwillumbah , NSW. Ph: 0481 303965
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast