Apex Archery

Douglas Fir arrows

Hey guys, wondering if anyone knows of anywhere that sells Douglas fir arrow shafts since tradbits has closed down?

Also, I've run some numbers through spine calculators/charts and it seems I need 90-100# shafts for my 56# recurve? 30-32" with 175gn up front, but that seems a bit excessive to me. Does that sound about right or are the calculators off?

Cheers guys,
    Jesse.

Sent from my HTC Butterfly 2 using Tapatalk
    The rose petal floats on water. The kingfisher flashes above the pond. Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death - Robert Jordan.
    try 3 rivers but that weight seems a bit of over kill
    John from http://www.amso128.com.au.

Thats where i got mine from. Funny you mention your spine choice, i got 65 to 70# shafts and was hoping to run heavier points then 125gr but i am not sure i will be able too. Am still painting them though so not sure. Prob be able to run 150gr. Still end up being fairly light though. My bow spec is the same as yours.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Mathews S2 #60
    Damon Howatt #65

Douglas Fir arrows

Quote Originally Posted by ontothepigs View Post
    John from http://www.amso128.com.au.

Thats where i got mine from. Funny you mention your spine choice, i got 65 to 70# shafts and was hoping to run heavier points then 125gr but i am not sure i will be able too. Am still painting them though so not sure. Prob be able to run 150gr. Still end up being fairly light though. My bow spec is the same as yours.

Let me know how you go, the calculators seem a bit off, I ran my 50# longbow numbers through and it told me I need 55# arrows for a 150gn broadhead, when I know for fact that anything over 45# is overspined.

Jesse.

Sent from my HTC Butterfly 2 using Tapatalk
    The rose petal floats on water. The kingfisher flashes above the pond. Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death - Robert Jordan.
    Will do. I was thinking i was going to cut at least an inch off the front. Hopefully stiffen it enough to then run more weight.

Mathews S2 #60
    Damon Howatt #65
    I'd recommend having a look at surewood shafts for douglas fir. Short of something more custom like wallace woods these are the best wood shafts i've ever seen, especially if going for the tapered option from 11/32 - 5/16.
    In the last year about 12 doz have passed my hands and i've fletched up 6 doz of them for myself and mates.

I have never had to straighten one.

Quality and service is excellent, only downside is you'll probably pay about $10-20 more per dozen depending on how many you are ordering.

IMO well worth it in comparison to other timbers and shafts i've seen/used.