2Blade Productions

Thread: Tips for videos

Tips for videos

G'day guys, I'm going on a hunt in October and want to try out my sons GoPro 3 to video what I can. I'm completely new to this so I'm hoping some of the more experienced videographers can throw a few pointers my way?
    He has underwater housing (useful if it rains I guess?) and a chest strap and cap strap for a head mount.
    Thoughts? Tips? Suggestions for what works.
    I'm heading to Jackal's Hide. It's hilly country with mostly tree cover where I'll be hunting.
    I have a little point n shoot camera that can also do video but I figured GoPro is made for the job so will most likely be a better option.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
    Hi Paul, I have a Hero 2 and thought I'd start off the replies with a couple of tips. (Bear in mind that the Gopro 3 might be better at some things than my 2)

Firstly, Gopro audio is known to be pretty tinny and a bit low quality, particularly when contained in the underwater housing. So I would plan for music and voiceovers on your whatever you publish - don't assume the audio that's recorded will be usable.

Secondly, I'd suggest that you do a few test clips in the different resolutions and frame rates that are available to you, just to understand what the end product will look like. The higher the res and frame rates, the faster you'll chew up memory on the card. Also check the perspective of the shot at the different settings- the Gopro lens seems quite wide angled, so detail at certain distances might not be what you expect compared to looking at it with the naked eye.

My 2 cents. Now over to the fair-dinkum videographers on this forum.....
    I`ve used gopros quite a bit, mostly filming fishing and under water stuff, they are really good but have their limitations.

use the skeleton door on the housing, thats the one with slits in it. Audio is quite good for close stuff.

Alos the one button function. This starts the camera filming as soon as its turned on.

all the lenses on go pro are fish eye lens, so only really useful at close range. have a few test runs when your shooting your bow next this will give you a good idea of what you can & can not capture. It will help you get familiar with the equipment, the last thing you want is to miss your sons shot on a 40in billy wile you hand your head down trying to work out how the camera turns on.

Have a plan/Story line to follow before you arrive. you know a few quick driving clips and an intro, a camp clip. screwing on a BH. Check out Sneakys vids he makes a good story.
    And keep the clips short and quality, nothing worse than a home movie that has 2mins of shaky footage of someone walking up a hill zzzzzzzzzzzzz. You can film plenty then cut it down later.

Trust me its a lot more work than you think & its not easy to do both. I`ve lost dozens of fish trying to turn a camera on wile hooked up.

good luck
    Last edited by dean-yowie; 12th September 2017 at 08:10 AM.
    Thanks very much for the comments. I've watched a few videos from forum members and I can appreciate there's a hell of a lot of behind the ecenes work. I'm not sure I can churn a respectable vid out but I'm keen to give it a go.

Cheers guys :)
    G'day Paul all my footage is done with the gopros (hero 3 black and a hero 4 black). I have never used the chest mount but I use head mount as where ever you look it films, also I use a sportsmans mount (clamp setup) and attach it on my stabiliser on the bow. One other thing is an extension folding handle that has a small tripod base screwed into the handle which you use when filming your downed game and yourself. Housings are not used much only in bad weather so I use a skeleton housing that captures good audio and footage but bad wind noise. To overcome the wind I have a small plug in shotgun mic with a fluffy cover to stop the buffeting. Now there are different levels of quality when filming and frame rates but you can use 1080p and the highest frame that allows. Big thing first is to make sure it is set on PAL not nstc (this will change the frame rates available in 1080p). My cameras in 1080 allow me to change the lense view or width by this I mean if you have it set to wide you will get a very wide view but the animal will look miles away, medium is still miles away and then there is narrow and it will obviously have a narrow field of view but the animal will be filmed as you see it. Yes they have fisheye but you can fix that in gopro studio when you edit and flatten out your clip. Gopro app is very handy on your phone as you can use that to setup your shot when filming someone with their game so you can see they are in frame (also very handy when on your head filming in narrow as you may film the sky or your feet so use it to really setup how far ahead it sees. Hero 4 black is great because it has low light function as in dark with the 3 @ 1080 the footage will be grainy so the lower the light the slower or lower the fps you use allowing it to slow down and deaw in more light.
    Mate there is alot to it but get it out and have a play so you get half an idea of what it can do and youtube for tips.
    Cheers
    Sneaky
    Stick, String and Sharp Things what could possibly go wrong?

Sneak, Sneak, Sneak, Whack!!!

RUN BOY RUN UPA TREE UPA TREE!!!!
    Thanks heaps Sneak, I'll have a play with different settings and do some videos shooting targets and some fishing, so I can see what it looks like.

Cheers,
    Paul
    If your sons GoPro 3 is a Black Edition shoot in Protune, Protune takes all of the flicker and lag out of your videos. Always shoot in protune no matter what if you have it, it is a failsafe setting. I have a 600cc Supersport i use my GoPro on and videos come out clear as crystal with fast motion never any lag whatsoever. Cheers mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedamo View Post
    If your sons GoPro 3 is a Black Edition shoot in Protune, Protune takes all of the flicker and lag out of your videos. Always shoot in protune no matter what if you have it, it is a failsafe setting. I have a 600cc Supersport i use my GoPro on and videos come out clear as crystal with fast motion never any lag whatsoever. Cheers mate.

Thanks for the tip thedamo. I think I know what I'm doing this weekend lol
    Another tip is to shoot in narrow view. 4k or 2.4k/25fps in low light and 60 fps during the day. Smoother slow motion and clearer image this way. Just make sure your computer can render 4k ok. I prefer 1080 for the ease of handling and plenty good quality.