TUSX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

JUST BOARING, as the title suggests.

Just Boaring

The summer had really finally arrived with the temperatures to hit the mid forty’s around my favourite hunting grounds in NSW. The time was just before New Year’s Eve 2016 and my partner had a few days off so I was able to head bush in pursuit of some big toothy lignum warriors, well that’s what I was hoping with the impending heat wave that was to hit as I find it the best time to hunt pigs as they cannot stay away from the cool water holes and sticky mud.

I left bright and early after packing up my colarado ute the night before with all the essentials for a few days hunting solo. Being solo with the weather that was present had me prepared with plenty of first aid equipment, water, radio, registered personal locator as well as a sat phone that I have for emergencies so all bases were covered.

The trip out was therapeutic and relaxing as always with a beautiful sunrise and even some wild pigs seen on my travels including a cracking great big boar feeding on a decaying cow carcass. I called into another property on my way in that I had used to hunt and chatted for a while to the new managers of whom I’ve dealt with before and was given the green light to hunt there as well, so that was a bonus.

After saying goodbyes and thanks for the opportunity to hunt I set out to a favourite spot on the place for a little looksee about to see if I could find some hogs. I got into a downwind position a couple of kilometres from the dam and proceeded in on foot checking all the hidey holes that pigs like to bed in. I did not have much luck until I was practically at the dam and spotted my first pig for the trip being a sow and some young.

I got some happy snaps before sneaking off and zig zagging between all the likely spots but only managed to see sows and young or spooking sows and young in and around the many shady trees. However I did see plenty of sign and not forgetting the dozen or so pigs of a size worth shooting but just not the big toothy fellas that we all like to chase.

I just finished checking one of my go to spots that always has a swine or to but not this time. After one last sweep of some trees I returned to walk back to my vehicle and spotted the arse end of a boar heading into my go to spot where I had just walked through only moments before, it prevails in the end.

I circled back around downwind and put on sneak only stopping to glass so as to find the hog which had bedded deep within the confines of the shady spot, real deep as the impending stalk was to take some time to firstly locate and then find a shooting lane. I only moved when the wind picked up and slowly closed the gap to 5 or 6 meters but still without a shot. I finally pushed in closer to 3 meters and to the side a little which opened up a slight shot angle of which I took.

I ended up with a small deflection and followed the boar up where he bedded again and I was soon given the chance to unleash another arrow tipped with VPA broadhead and this one delivered the goods with the little boar not getting up from his bed.

https://youtu.be/3f2L2Qnnv0g

Not a bad start to the trip with renewed access to a great hunting property and a small boar to boot. I got over to the property where I was to be staying and quickly got unpacked. The temperature was peaking in the early 40’s so I set out to check some dams to try and find some hogs seeking the nice cool mud.

I got to my first dam and circled round down wind and proceeding in checking it out but only found a few sows and young which I left undisturbed, so back to vehicle and off to a second dam. One this dam as well I also had to go out wide to get a favourable wind for my approach. Now this dam had some hogs about with some sows watering and feeding close bye as well as some lone bedded hogs having a wallow. These loan ones were to be my targets.

The local mother’s group taking the kids for a play date.

And what we all like to see loan bedded lignum warriors.

With my targets acquired I set about closing the distance on one with the best conditions for a stalk. With this I ducked down behind the dam bank and circled around out of view and came up from above at 23 meters, with a great wind I pinched a few more and glassed so as to pick a spot on the bedded hog which would give me the best angle for an arrow to pass through the vitals.

Soon enough the 80 pound Hoyt Carbon Spyder was in anchor with my pin hovering nicely on my spot and then the Hoyt spoke and punched out an Easton Axis 260 which provided the beast with an unwelcome awakening. He got up from his wallow and my heart quickened a bit as he started my way before turning and going a few more meters and succumb to the ill effects of a razor sharp arrow. I could not be more elated.

The beauty of the bow with its efficiency and quietness as more pigs seen in the back ground.

https://youtu.be/Y0p3Q0kdc0c

I highly recommend glassing bedded targets and envisioning where the vitals are for correct arrow placement even from close range. The way they can sit or lay can often trick your mindset into placing and arrow poorly. By having a quick glass I was able to place my arrow with pin point accuracy.

I removed his jaw and strapped it to my pack and continued the hunt for more boars but ran out of huntable light, pretty happy for the days efforts I returned to my ute and made my back to camp and cooked up a great feed of some beautiful scotch fillet steaks and prepared myself for the next day’s hunting.

Up before first light I headed out to another tank in the hope of catching some boars coming into water for cool drink before they departed for the day. But this morning they eluded me with only a few females coming in and some local wildlife. It was still an enjoyable time spent relaxing and taking in the sounds and sights of our great land.

When it started to heat up towards the middle of the day I went and checked another dam a few kilometres away and got the wind right and started in checking a creek with a good tree line offering plenty of shade and protection but came up empty handed. Heading over towards the dam and cresting its bank I saw a large expanse of green and plenty of water on the flat to the east of the dam. It looked as though that this area had got a little rain just recently. It sure looked pretty.

Knowing this area well I skirted down to the water’s edge as there is plenty of feed, cover and some thick black soil mud which the big boars love. Straight away I could see wallows so I nocked an arrow in anticipation of seeing a hog and hopefully getting an arrow away. I was walking along in waste high green grass when all of a sudden a big boar jumps up from not less than 2 meters from me. It sure gave me a fright and him as well as he luckily only heard me and bedded down again 15 meters further.

With time on my side I gave him a good 15 minutes to settle down or go for a wallow which might give me a shot. He was only 15 meters from me but was in some grass over a meter tall and was bedded down. With that I proceeded to sneak in at the ready knowing he would spook and stand and hopefully give me a shot.

Moving when the wind blew I closed in to around three meters from where the grass flattened out when he bedded, as expected he stood up after hearing or sensing something unnatural and I spotted his ears which gave me a rough indication of where to place an arrow and a 175 grain VPA broadhead was soon on a its intended mission and put a hole thru his airbag’s. He erupted into a fast escape that soon faded out and he hit the turf.

https://youtu.be/LTLTqzxjS9E

It was definitely heating up now so I headed back to the ute and the engel fridge for some lunch and some cold refreshments. I planned to head out to another spot in the hope in finding some more boars to hunt and I was not disappointed.

But I was blocked by a couple of great billy goats in a big mob that had my undivided attention. I tried to close the distance a few time times but they were to smart and always stayed on the far side of the mob not offering a shot as the lesser animals staying alert and spooking and then the big fellas were leading the escape.

I believe they are possibly brothers? Either way they bested me that day but I got the last laugh a few months later when the bigger one slipped up and I slipped him a VPA, but that’s another story for another day.

Checking my maps I headed on down the road to another tank and stopped short and made my way in trying to find some swine to hunt. Soon enough I heard some pigs fighting and squabbling over the bank and I went and investigated but only found a few sows and slips fighting over feeding positions. Watching for a while they soon grew tired and pulled stumps and came over to the water for a wallow right in the direction of where I wanted to head.

I watched from a distance and wanted to head their way as I wanted to check some lignum near me and beyond them for a bedded boar. So with an arrow on the string I snuck in along the water’s edge at the ready and hoped that the mob might head off the way they came and not spook where I was intending to hunt.

Well I made a rookie mistake intent on keeping an eye on the mob I moved slowly closer and they soon spotted me and moved off not to concerned. Watching them depart their shady wallow from nearby I kept poking along heading towards the lignum I wanted to check and was pretty soon in the shady confines of the tree they were wallowing under when…….

“whhoaaff” a great big lump of a brute boar exploded from his bed from no more than 5 meters from me where he was nestled in amongst some logs. But no so rookie was I as I already had an arrow on the string and was in anchor before you could even say “WTF” was that and with the whole 5 pins of my spot hogg hunter sight covering his vitals I dropped hammer on the release and drilled him right in the bread basket.

Man that was exhilarating and had the adrenalin flowing believe me. I was literally shaking as I walked closer to the big beast that had only made it 20 odd meters after impact. Not even half way to him I could already see some great big pearly white fangs hanging out of his jaw; you just could not wipe that smile of my face.

https://youtu.be/pin_uqwaZxM
    Last edited by xlr8scotty; 23rd September 2017 at 05:41 PM.
    VPA prostaff, BONE SPLITTING PERFORMANCE.

LIVE THE HUNT
    I was as happy as a pig in mud with two good boars for the day. I removed his jaw and had a little look about and came up empty handed so set about heading to check another dam I’ve not hunted in a while. I only found a large mob of goats with no shooters in amongst them so I circled the dam checking all the hidey holes that a pig might hole up in but only come across a nanny seeking some refuge from the heat.

I had picked a spot that earlier in the day looked promising for a late afternoon hunt and with the sun beginning to lower I decided to go and set up a position at the spot and sit out the remains of daylight that was left. I’d bought along my huntsman recurve if given a chance at a wallowing hog I was going to have a go at it.

I found a neat little spot downwind of the large mud hole that the pigs were using and waited in ambush taking in the beautiful sounds and sights that one gets when sitting beside a secluded watering point in outback Australia. It was quite surreal until a large black bodied boar ambled slowly out of some nearby lignum and started my way.

But alas he did not come to the wallow and walked by feeding and sniffing about, possibly on the scent of a female which might explain why he did not come to water. I watched for several minutes and decided he was not going to be easy to get so opted for the Hoyt instead of the curve and headed off in hot pursuit.

This fella was on a mission and did not stop at all and with the sun slowly setting the wind had died down to nothing making it hard to close the distance. I progressed and was gradually gaining some ground when he finally stopped for a nose about and I seized the opportunity to pinch a few more meters and draw back my bow in readiness for a shot.

I had been constantly ranging items ahead of him and knew he was at about 25 meters but he also knew something was not right when I pinched the last few meters and he went to walk away again but the Hoyt was primed and ready and my target acquired in my sight and I soon triggered the release and watched as my arrow entered behind the last rib and extended into the vitals.

Well he got up to a great rate of knots real quick in a mad death run that ended shortly after with him nose diving into the turf at full speed with dust and sticks flying through the air and his momentum propelling him to his feet before toppling over again. Boy oh boy was I excited and elated with a third big boar for the day falling to my arrows.

https://youtu.be/bpKN8Mw3sSc

The drive back the camp was enjoyable and sleep did not come too easy as I relived the moments of the day in my head over and over again until I finally drifted off to sleep. Today was to be the last day of the hunt so I packed up all my gear and headed out to a spot that I had passed the day before of which I noted to have a large puddle of water with plenty of pig sign. It was pretty sheltered in amongst some lignum of which the pigs love to call home.

Taking my time as it had not really started to heat up as yet I stopped to take a few photos of some local birdlife making a very lout raucous in some trees.

Stopping well short of my intended spot to hunt I geared up and circled around to get the wind right and started to sneak in. The wind was pretty consistent and coming from an ideal direction allowing me to sit in amongst some trees 20 meters opposite of the water with the lignum on the far side. I only had a few hours to hunt as I had a long way to travel home. Needless to say the next couple of hours was action packed but not with bow hunting as no worthy boars come to water but many a specimen of swine did numbering up to around 80-90 odd pigs seen but just mainly sows and young.

The water hole in question.

They breed them tough and start them young out west.

While no boars were taken I still had an unbelievable time watching the antics of the young pigs and taking in some of the body language of the older ones and how they communicate to one another. I even at one stage had some pigs pass me from downwind within a few meters, not sure if they smelt me or just did not care as they all streamed into the nice cool mud pretty quick; it really surprised me to say the least.

I pulled stumps and went to check another dam but this time was adamant in taking the recurve for a stroll. I circled around down wind and made my approach very warily as a few cattle were watering and you near have to stalk them as much as the pigs. I managed to get in close with the cattle not too concerned and was rewarded with a couple of sows wallowing; I couldn’t see any young so thought they would suit just nicely.

With not much cover I just got down to the water’s edge and glacially moved closer and closer until I was about 12 meters away and had a good angle to put a 250 grain VPA broadhead into the boiler room with. I set up my stance and went through my routine and was soon in anchor and released watching my arrow sail down hitting a touch high but angling down and taking out the vitals. The little sow erupts from her slumber and took off to the nearby scrub line where she fell for the last time. Not the biggest pig for the trip but a very rewarding hunt to take one with the bent stick, it had been awhile between drinks with this one.

I always like to do a bit of reconnaissance when out on a hunt so after getting back to my vehicle I checked my topo map and found a road out to the back of the property; this along with a coloured Google map I carry showed some shady trees next to a creek line. I put two and two together thinking that with the recent rain their maybe some water in the creek and being that it was pretty isolated I just might get lucky in finding a big old loan boar.

Well I come up trumps as I slowly crested the red sand hill and could see the tree line and some cattle that indicated water to me. I jumped out of my vehicle with a strong wind in my face and geared up for a quick tour of the area. Well I then won the lotto as I’d taken no more than 5 steps from my vehicle and looked down towards the long expanse of water and a big old boar could be seen just lying down in the cool water taking in life as big old boar can.

My only problem was the cattle so I walked around in plain view and slowly descended upon them and as luck would have they moved off leaving me and just the big old boar that was already quartering away, a strong breeze in face and my arrow tipped with a VPA ready to unleash dome fire and fury upon the big beast.

The game plan was simple to get down to the water’s edge where the soft mud would quieten my approach and get in close and spear the big brute. I just love it when a plan comes together and this one certainly did. The only other thing not accounted for was some cockatoos screeching and squawking but they too soon departed leaving just the boar and I. Time to live it.

I got into 20 meters quite easily and with the big fella quite content to lay there and pose for a quick selfy with me.

I glassed him and picked my spot to place my arrow and set about my shot routine once again. Needless to say the big brute copped it sweet and only made it 20-30 meters to the tree line before the ill effects of my arrow had fall to the ground, it sure was a top hunt.

https://youtu.be/Q_vD-4EuY_E

I was unquestionably thrilled and delighted with the last two days hunting, nailing some great game, inspecting some awesome new hunting grounds while taking in the prettiness and attractiveness that only our great nation can provide. I hope it wasn’t to boaring for you to read because it was an absolute” boar teara” to hunt.

LIVE THE HUNT.

Scott’s gear of choice.

Bow: Hoyt Carbon Spyder on 80# @27”.
    Arrows: Easton axis 260’s @27.5” with 4” killer vanes.
    Sight: Spot Hogg Hunter Custom 5 pin, 20M (.29), 30M (.19), 40M (.19), 50M (.10), 60M (.10)
    Rest: QAD Hoyt ultra-rest and cobra wrist release and Tactacam video stabilizer.
    Broad head: VPA 175Gn from Rayzor custom shop with the CTR Punch footer cap.
    VPA prostaff, BONE SPLITTING PERFORMANCE.

LIVE THE HUNT
    Another great write scotty. Top effort mate on grassing quality hogs
    Ripper mate great hunt and write up cheers
    Hoyt Carbon spyder 70#
    Revolution 250 arrows
    2 blade 150g OZ cut broadheads
    Nice one Scotty, always a great read and some awesome photos.

Randal
    Great hunt there mate and awesome pics!

Pete.

JUST BOARING, as the title suggests.

Another great write up Scotty
    Love the shot of the arrow in flight to the wallowing boar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brilliant stuff Scott -as always - and good to see you blowing the dust off the stick n string....
    2014 PSE DNA SP - 65#
    2015 PSE Full Throttle - 64#
    Martin Mamba Recurve - 50#
    Bear Kodiak Magnum 50th Anniversary #55
    top write up Scotty...enjoyed the read
    bear legion #60
    125gr spirit tuskers
    powerflight 340@26.5"
    http://centralwesttrapping.weebly.com/
    awesome story Scott, that's some productive country to have access to.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast