VPA
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question about fallow

Hi, havn't been on the forum for a while but due to being puzzled by something recently i thought id post up and ask about it. We recently went for a hunt in an area that has lots of sambar on public land nearish to Mansfield. It was very recent so it was early october. While stalking, we heard a very distinct but faint noise a couple of gullies over from where we were. The croaking of a fallow, as we slowed our pace, we heard a few more croaks, this time further down the gully we were currently in, which was very thick impenetrable bush for a hunter where the sound was coming from. This had us bamboozled. Its not even their rut is it? And this area is a sambar haven, very thick, very steep with hardly anywhere to graze, not where i would expect fallow. Also never heard of there being fallow in this area, not quite far out enough. Is this normal? Are they known to sometimes croak when theyre not rutting? I have zero experience with fallow so thought id see what the smart people have to say about it.
    Thanks, Jonathan.
    Couldn't be a koala could it? They sound remarkably like a pig/fallow grunting at times.

Quote Originally Posted by flyonline View Post
    Couldn't be a koala could it? They sound remarkably like a pig/fallow grunting at times.

Wow! Would never expect a noise like that from a koala!
    Not exactly like what we heard, but im sure all koalas are slightly different in sound though. Hard to describe the difference, each pulse of noise was further apart if that makes any sense. If it was visualized as waves, the waves would he bigger and longer. Hopefully that makes sense. Definitely wouldnt rule that out though! Thanks.
    got my heart racing while chasing reds , though I had fallow on the block, but turned out to be a big randy koala .......
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiehunter View Post
    Wow! Would never expect a noise like that from a koala!
    Not exactly like what we heard, but im sure all koalas are slightly different in sound though. Hard to describe the difference, each pulse of noise was further apart if that makes any sense. If it was visualized as waves, the waves would he bigger and longer. Hopefully that makes sense. Definitely wouldnt rule that out though! Thanks.
    As in the source of the sound was moving and you were getting a kind of doppler effect? Could be a number of koalas calling making it sound like it was moving.

I know from personal experience that they can sound freaky, especially if you're not ready for it (international guests come to mind!!).

Or perhaps the local yowie/drop bear/bunyip was giving you a warning :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by flyonline View Post
    As in the source of the sound was moving and you were getting a kind of doppler effect? Could be a number of koalas calling making it sound like it was moving.

I know from personal experience that they can sound freaky, especially if you're not ready for it (international guests come to mind!!).

Or perhaps the local yowie/drop bear/bunyip was giving you a warning :-)
    Haha dont think my description was very good. It was more low pitched like a ripper burp i suppose haha. Maybe a yowie and we were lucky to escape haha. Thanks again.
    We mostly get two koala noises around our place, screaming and grunting, especially at this time of year. Occasionally one will sound like a two stroke bike trying to fire up, nothing like what you would expect from a fluffy little koala.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magilla View Post
    We mostly get two koala noises around our place, screaming and grunting, especially at this time of year. Occasionally one will sound like a two stroke bike trying to fire up, nothing like what you would expect from a fluffy little koala.
    Haha go the the 2 smoker koalas!!
    Sounds like we got sucked in.
    Thanks for the replies.
    I've been fooled by a crook sounding Emu in the past...
    Roos can also make a similar grunt to fallow
    2017 Hoyt Pro Defiant 80#
    Trophy taker Smackdown pro
    Slayerstrings
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast