Ozcut Broadheads
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arrow Saw ideas

Arrow Saw ideas

Hi,
    Being a bit of a tinkerer, and a bit of a tight arse, i'm thinking of making some sort of arrow saw for carbon shafts. Has anyone made one, or have any useful tips on how to build one? I'm struggling to find a mini drop saw in Australia, I've used a dremel tool to cut them before but being free hand, they always need a fair bot of squaring after.

Any ideas, links or photos?
    Cheers.
    I use a Dremel mounted to a board with cable ties and another board screwed on top as an arrow guide. Just google home made arrow saw in images and you will get the idea. Works great and no additional squaring of the shafts needed, took me all of about 20 mins to make and well worth the effort.

Bert
    ADA Member
    ADA Accredited Scorer

#70 Hoyt Nitrum Turbo
    #70 Bear Anarchy

"If your not working to protect hunting then you are working to destroy it" FRED BEAR
    Got a pic?
    2014 PSE DNA SP - 65#
    2015 PSE Full Throttle - 67#
    Martin Mamba Recurve - 55#
    Thanks Bert, but like Johnno said, any chance of a pic? I've googled them, but am struggling to come up with an idea of how to either move the shaft into the saw, or the saw into the shaft when cutting.
    Cheers,
    Tim
    I ended up mounting 2 washers spaced slightly apart for a fine hacksaw blade to run through. Just have to make sure you rotate it as cutting.

How important is squaring the end of the shaft? I personally just don't get it-you have this long insert that sits firmly and exactly in the shaft, and then fuss about the cut at the very end thinking that if this cut is not exactly 90deg the insert will sit at an angle.
    eject, EJECT!!
    Thanks Stu. I have been thinking similar re: squaring and inserts. I'm shooting Heat Seeker arrows and their insert goes 15-20mm into the shaft, so this insert fitting snug will do more to align the insert than a square end will influence it. But square ends do look nice, so the squarer I can get them after cutting, the better in my opinion.

Arrow Saw ideas

This is NOT mine but very similar to my setup. Blade cuts slightly less than half way through the arrow shafts and then you just rotate to get a complete and even cut.

Way I figured it for perfect flat cuts was possibly slightly improved impact distribution.
    Given that it's no harder to get it right if you are using a jig like that... well why not ?

If you cut by hand or drop down saw, well then given how I've seen pro shop staff cut arrows, close enough really is good enough. And it didn't seem to have any effect on arrow longevity or flight pattern.

-= The Matter is Void =-
    -= The Matter is Void =-
    That's a good point re impact distribution, and the fact its easy enough to get it square so why not. I'm a perfectionist with some things, and much prefer snug and proper, but I've just always struggled to see the point of buying things like an arrow square tool when I couldn't grasp how it made as much difference as some make out. I'm keen to be educated if I'm wrong though

My bodgy set up went on the end of my arrow spinner. I'll get around to making something better one day with a dremel or similar. I've got enough motors I should just mount one of them with blade attached
    eject, EJECT!!
    Stu, just about every arrow manufacturer has put up warnings about cutting shafts with a fine hacksaw. I have seen some cut that way that looked fine but the manufacturers claim it causes micro tears to the fibers that can lead to failure. If you are going to do it that way make sure you give them a really good inspection before gluing the inserts in.
    Cheers. Done wrong it causes macro tears!! The big chunks torn out. I've cut a lot of rod blanks in that way without any dramas, so I'm pretty confident, but I am careful in how I do it. I wasn't aware of manufacturers warning against it though. To be honest it was always a short term solution as I would prefer to cut them differently......and have still to get around to doing it right!!

I might check to see if I can make one my fine files fit in the same jig so I can do it that way until I get around to a power cutter. I don't cut many shafts at all, so I question putting too much effort into it for my purposes. If the file works I might stick with it.

Its good of you to call this out I think, because just cutting through like its a bit of aluminium will definitely lead to issues. Probably not the sort of thing I should have recommended for those not in the know.

Yes, for a perfectionist I can be pretty dodgy at times as well!
    eject, EJECT!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast