Arrowhead Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bare Arrow tuning issues

I recently picked up a new bow #45 at 28in Bear Grizzly. I got some arrows for it and have been setting it up this weekend. Fletched arrows are flying pretty well but generally landing nock slightly right. I tried shooting a bare shaft to see how it looked and arrows are hitting with nock way right (50mm +). at 10m

• I shoot off the shelf with the bow canted
    • Arrow are Easton Axis trad 400 cut at 30in with 125gn points
    • I draw 28.5ish with fairly consistent form

According to the arrow charts I should be right in the middle for a 400 spine, but with a bare shaft result like that It is indicating that the arrow is way too stiff.

Any suggestions as to what is going on?
    Im no expert but i was of the opinion you should always have a vertical bow when bare shafting.

Have you tried to add weight up front or turn your nock ?
    They are pretty stiff for 45, You need to run some more weight up front or lighter spine shafts.
    To put it in perspective the best arrow set up for my 66# Raptor are 400 spined gt's with 230 grains up front.
    Last edited by Rhino1; 22nd January 2018 at 03:57 PM.
    the shaft is giving you the answer - a chart may suggest your selection should be in a particular range - however the chart is only a guide - you are the one shooting that arrow and that arrow is giving you the answer. If you cut is shorter it will "stiffen" so you could try using a heavier point. cheers sue
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ballz View Post
    Im no expert but i was of the opinion you should always have a vertical bow when bare shafting.

Have you tried to add weight up front or turn your nock ?
    Sorry should have mentioned that was shooting with the bow vertical with the bare shaft. Haven't tried heavier points yet (need to order some)What does turning the nock do?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino1 View Post
    They are pretty stiff for 45, You need to run some more weight up front.
    To put it in perspective the best arrow set up for my 66# Raptor are 400 spined gt's with 230 grains up front.
    Fairly new to this, and was just relying on the charts. Will try more a heavier point.

Quote Originally Posted by little arrows View Post
    the shaft is giving you the answer - a chart may suggest your selection should be in a particular range - however the chart is only a guide - you are the one shooting that arrow and that arrow is giving you the answer. If you cut is shorter it will "stiffen" so you could try using a heavier point. cheers sue
    Good advice, thanks. I'll try going up a point weight.
    One side may be stiffer it helps to tune the shafts.
    Ive always viewed charts as the guideline.

Cut shafts about .5-.75" longer than desired length then start adjusting weight and cutting .25" at a time whilst bare shafting to get the best results.

Tuned some GT's with the screw in system last night. WOW. Under 30 mins and I was bare shafting straight out to 30m.

Bare Arrow tuning issues

I run 500spine with 200gr up front out of 50lb. But I am shoot a F/crawl which changes things. All the same I would have said your shafts are way stiff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi Nak,

Ill try put this as simple as I can, Your spine is too stiff ( hence the nock right) your fletched arrows will hit slightly too the left on the target also and will kick when you watch them fly. thats the feathers correcting it. keep in mind all arrow spine charts are rated for a 125g field point, its amazing how much weight will play a role, as mentioned above always bare shaft with your bow vertical, if you bare shaft on a cant a nock high result can actually be a weak spine indication.

when bare shafting to start dont bother working on accuracy just basic good release.
    now you have some options,
    you can increase point weight to say 200g and continue and see where that leads
    you can increase your brace height which will also weaken your spine.
    if you want to keep your 125g point youll have to go to a 500 spine
    you can add a 100g brass insert to the front which will also help.

just some ideas mate. have fun
    Hi mate i agress with all the above: way too stiff, out of my Grizz off the shelf with 150gr points ; it was 45# i was drawing about 47-48# 500 spine carbons and GG500 aluminiums shot really nicely.
    those spine charts always IMO list on the really stiff side i find for both trad and compound.
    Your release a sJack points out is also an important factor if you are twisting the string and your hand when anchored you will find it effects ypur arrow flight biog time.
    I didnt realise i was untill i wondered why i couldnt sort out arrows for a bow and then i saw a youtube clip and i realised i wa sdoing that and also if you are pushing down on the nock that will effect things too cheers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast