Ozcut Broadheads
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navigation

Navigation

Hi guys

As a newbie in bowhunting, I am looking for tips and suggestions how to navigate around the hunting property safely. Currently I am relying on satnav (gps) to get my way around but I am not feeling very sure it is the best away.
    It would be much appreciated if I can get some suggestions and tips from somebofbypu guys who have the experience in bowhunting.
    Cheers

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
    I study google maps images of the property and take note of landmarks, fences etc. Save the image on my phone. Park the ute near a gate or tank, mark that position the gps and start walking. I usually have a rough idea where I am, but have been in deep gullies and not sure on direction so have pulled out the gps. If I get lost I know to find the fence and follow it. That's ok for farm scrub properties I hunt.

Navigation

Being able to understand and take bearings is pretty essential. If your device fails and you are out deep you’d be in trouble. If you go deep enough a PLB can also save your life if something goes wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I always buy a Topographic map of where I am going hunting and carry it and using my GPS and compass and the map
    can work out where I am on the map and then use that info to work out how to approach water holes and tanks keeping
    wind direction in mind. Fence lines are good to follow in flat country as they generally built North South East and West in steep country they are generally built on the easiest path to access.
    I always put the property homestead in my GPS and then where I park my vehicle to begin hunting.
    Matt
    Same as Matt. But using only a Topo map on my GPS with the fences and topography on it. I also mark the homestead/camp and then where I leave the vehicle. When it gets overcast or the middle of the day, one can sometimes get confused where North is. I had to use my GPS various times to get the shortest route back to my vehicle. And it's invaluable to mark a downed animal to retrieve it later with help.
    Bowtech Reign 6 & Experience
    600 grain Arrows

Navigation

Really appreciate the tips guys.
    I wish there is a course to do map topo reading. I get abit nervous incase gps is failing.
    Where do you normally get the topo map?
    Cheers

Hi mate the Map Centre in Granville NSW https://www.mapcentre.com.au/ THATS WHER I GET MINE FROM POST THE SAME DAY.
    cHEERS
    Quote Originally Posted by arda View Post
    Really appreciate the tips guys.
    I wish there is a course to do map topo reading. I get abit nervous incase gps is failing.
    Where do you normally get the topo map?
    Cheers

Plenty of info on line on how to navigate. An easy way to build confidence is to use the map and compass in combination with your GPS, gradually weaning yourself off of the GPS.

The map shop in Adelaide is an option for buying maps as well
    https://www.mapworld.com.au/products...09-1-250k-topo
    If you don't do it, you won't do it, and if at first you don't succeed, it's more than likely because you're crap at it.
    Take a print copy from Google maps of the property you go to. Sat image will be a little easier to relate to the ground. Before you spend time hunting, just go walking about the block. Learn the high points and the major landmarks. This will help you to identify where you are as you move around. Particularly helpful when you are tired.

Learn about magnetic variation. North on a map is not the same as north on your compass. Topo maps will list the magnetic variation so you can adjust.
    Easy to remember the method
    Grand Ma Sucks - grid to magnetic subtract
    MGA - magnetic to grid add.

Learn how many of your paces is equal to 100m. Practice this. Check it on uneven terrain.
    Then make a counter to help you. I use ten pebbles in my hand - you move them to count tens, when all the pebbles are in the other hand I have covered 100 paces.

Best to have someone with you. Being 'geographically embarrassed' while alone can have bad consequences.

Have fun. It is a great skill and will serve you more than you will think.
    Would it be worth checking out if there are any orienteering groups near you? I guess I'm lucky growing up with a lot of this sort of stuff, plus I seem to be naturally pretty good with navigating and knowing where I've moved to. Been a while since I've had to do it over new ground over longer distances though
    eject, EJECT!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast