DNA Bowhunting
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

blind sided by the heat

this something that happened to me while hunting scrub bulls and goats in west aus a few years ago. know without my own trumpet I like to think that im pretty switched on in the bush with navigation and survival type stuff , now on this trip we were mainly after bulls and the first job was to get the station owner drunk enough to tell us were the bulls are that became my little mate lukes job as I was in a self imposed dry spell, he did a good job got the info, we were ten k's south of the middle of nowhere and stinkin hot had heaps of water chill at the homestead all night,but by the time we got to the spot about 30km's from camp the water was already warm , luke was a tad crock so he stayed at a well and I went for a quick walked and was lucky enough to shoot my first scrubber small but had balls so it was a bull, anyway were im going is we made sure that we drank all day and we were on our last mouthful when we got back to camp by now I had a migraine that would kill your worst enemy on site, so shower and bed because I knew I was in for a night of vomiting at the same time I was pretty happy about the bull and I didn't like my chances of hunting tomorrow, next morning after a night of hell I was feeling fine off we go same deal as yesterday stinkin hot so today we made sure we got friendly with the dam a couple of times still got another migraine crook alnight again couldn't hunt the next day so back in perth off to see the doc and he told me that I was doing the right thing keeping hydrated I wasn't lowering my core body temp and was cooking myself, he said there is a fine line in water temp from being good for you and not so good, now some of you maybe thinkin what a goose but as the doc said its a fine line and everyone is different , anyway just thought id share. and by the no animals were harmed by luke (to hungover ) . ed
    don't need to be armed to find peace
    Good advice Ed, especially at this time of year.

blind sided by the heat

Working as a forest fire fighter, I've seen dozens of people stay hydrated in hot conditions but get sick as if they're dehydrated, 100% of the time they've just been drinking water. When you sweat you lose minerals, and water doesn't replace these. You need a sports drink with electrolytes - in particular calcium, sodium and potassium. Every case, within half an hour of a single bottle of Gatorade or similar, they get heaps better.

The ratio we work on is 2:1 water to electrolyte drink. So 2 bottles of water, one bottle of Gatorade, drinking a litre of fluid an hour.

Jesse.

Sent from my HTC Butterfly 2 using Tapatalk
    The rose petal floats on water. The kingfisher flashes above the pond. Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death - Robert Jordan.
    Gong with what saromango said-I think there was wisdom in the old school guys having salt in hot weather, but not just table salt, natural salt with all the other minerals in it well. One of the first things that I had to do to bring me out of long term fatigue was having a teaspoon of Himalayan salt each morning and night. I was cynical, buy started feeling it after about 3 days

So what were you supposed to do in those conditions ed-swim etc to cool down?

I've had heat stroke once, drank plenty. Man was i a wreck, dizzy, stumbling around, worst head ache etc.
    eject, EJECT!!
    in cape York electrolyte powder is my best friend , have a sachet in a cup of water every 2-3 hours , plus plenty of water in between and dips into the water holes to cool down. . have been caught out with heat stroke and dehydration once before and with a bit of luck never again.
    I always carry a couple of satchels of hydrolite in my pack. As others have said, apart from staying hydrated you need to replace essential salts and minerals in the body.
    Gatorade was definitely being poured down the throat
    i thought it was common knowledge that drinking to much water can actually kill you and or make you very very sick, it seems in general people are naive to this though i fully expected people on here would know all about it.........

ed please hit enter twice every few sentences as it makes it much easier for people to read, speaking for myself i generally refuse to read posts like your first one (i know other people do the same) anyway thank you in advance...........
    ed please hit enter twice every few sentences as it makes it much easier for people to read, speaking for myself i generally refuse to read posts like your first one (i know other people do the same) anyway thank you in advance...........[/QUOTE]what does my poor computer skills got to do with what I shared
    Quote Originally Posted by ed. View Post
    what does my poor computer skills got to do with what I shared
    so i ask nicely and you decide to take offence how f*%kin typical for this place no wonder i don't come here anymore.............fine ed do as you please go f*&k yourself...................
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast