TUSX
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Cashews View Post
    Thanks for sharing Ed,
    In 2016 my wife went down with heat stress in SW QLD.
    We were both well hydrated but due to the conditions, her body could not regulate it’s core temp properly,
    Many people who don’t experience the outdoors the way we do think thar dehydration and heat stress are the same thing.
    Whilst dehydration is a major contributor to the symptoms of heat stress, as you have mentioned in your original post, they are not the same thing. All the hydrolite on the planet is of no use if you can’t regulate your core temp.
    Dr Cashews, good post, I read through the above and agree with you. Years ago I was on a hunt in silly temps, properly hydrated with enough salts and I and another went down with heat stress we were lucky a third member understood what was happening as we just ground ourselves into the deck with physical effort not understanding what was happening.

Water and salts are crucial, but so is understanding that in high or extreme heat, pushing yourself hard may send your core temp higher than you can cool it down - the result isn't pretty, ruins your afternoon and can (I understand) be life threatening if you are silly enough to keep going well into the lost and dazed stage..

Summer is cranking this year, be safe and keep an eye on how lucid you or your partner is.
    You had to bring up the fact I didn't shoot anything! Hahaha

blind sided by the heat

Quote Originally Posted by wayoutwest View Post
    You had to bring up the fact I didn't shoot anything! Hahaha
    You did whar you had to

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    don't need to be armed to find peace
    Can you have too much electrolyte drinks.....? Just wondering if adding powder to all the water you drink could have a bad side.

blind sided by the heat

Yep, here's an article that explains it pretty well.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/153188.php

Jesse.

Sent from my HTC Butterfly 2 using Tapatalk
    The rose petal floats on water. The kingfisher flashes above the pond. Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death - Robert Jordan.
    Quote Originally Posted by grytvikken View Post
    Can you have too much electrolyte drinks.....? Just wondering if adding powder to all the water you drink could have a bad side.
    Yeah mate, Diarrhea can be a very unwelcome outcome...Jesse's post is cool to read as well!

Public Relations Officer, Head Bowhunting Instructor & past "Supreme Commander"- Pacific Bowmen inc
    Game Hunters Association of Australia inc (Foundation member)
    ABA Bowhunting Instructor
    ADA qualified measurer
    Former Game Council R Licence Examiner

Assassin Automotive Solutions

We'll "take care" of your problems

Quarry Road, Murwillumbah , NSW. Ph: 0481 303965
    Quote Originally Posted by grytvikken View Post
    Hey grytvikken,
    You absolutely can have too much electrolyte.
    On the Gorgon Project in 2009 on Barrow Island, unbeknown to me at the time, one of my guys was filling his 4LT water bottle with 'Squincher" every morning before pre start. (squincher is a brand of hydrolyte popular in the resource sector)

Anyway, Cameron came to me one morning and said he felt ill, I took him to the site medic for assessment and within 4 hrs his condition had worsened to the point where we flew him to Perth for treatment.
    His kidneys and liver were shutting down due to the massive amount of electrolyte in his system.
    A good general amount is one cup (250ml) per day as advised by RFDS Paramedics who attended to Cameron. (He made a full recovery and returned to work with quite a story to tell)
    Cheers, Doc
    Don't lie, cheat or steal..........our Government hates competition.......
    Great Read Ed thanks for sharing mate so what are people using for electrolytes what's the best out there that people have taken over the time. I've used Gatorade powder I find it too sweet to sugary is there something better cheers
    Hoyt Carbon spyder 70#
    Revolution 250 arrows
    2 blade 150g OZ cut broadheads

blind sided by the heat

We recently got one at work called 'thortzt' which is really good. It's mostly sugar free (not always a good thing, but as long as you have some carbs with you is all right), and really seems to be a good hit with everyone at work. The others we've had are staminade and squincher, both of which are good, but the thortzt seems to be the best. Costs about $50 for 50 single shots, which each make 600mL.

Jesse.

Sent from my HTC Butterfly 2 using Tapatalk
    The rose petal floats on water. The kingfisher flashes above the pond. Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death - Robert Jordan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jusad View Post
    Dr Cashews, good post, I read through the above and agree with you. Years ago I was on a hunt in silly temps, properly hydrated with enough salts and I and another went down with heat stress we were lucky a third member understood what was happening as we just ground ourselves into the deck with physical effort not understanding what was happening.

Water and salts are crucial, but so is understanding that in high or extreme heat, pushing yourself hard may send your core temp higher than you can cool it down - the result isn't pretty, ruins your afternoon and can (I understand) be life threatening if you are silly enough to keep going well into the lost and dazed stage..

Summer is cranking this year, be safe and keep an eye on how lucid you or your partner is.
    Jusad,
    You are 100% correct about heat stress leading to further issues....Heat Stroke and this will kill you.
    Whilst I am not a doctor, as an infantry combat medic during the 1990s, I dealt with these conditions in various scenarios both staged and real.
    It is not pretty, nor is it easily managed in the field and it can be fatal.
    I am a great advocate for the use of hydrolytes and we must all ensure that we understand the environment and conditions we place ourselves in.
    This does not mean we all need to be medical professionals but a basic understanding and awareness is key ........as is preparation.
    Saromango, thanks for the input, Thortz is a great product.
    Cheers, Doc.
    Last edited by Dr Cashews; 13th February 2018 at 11:16 PM.
    Don't lie, cheat or steal..........our Government hates competition.......
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123