Stalker Bows
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Roar and Reds question

I over think this every year and often Easter Hols, work and other stuff gets into my head for the planning. I hit the Brisbane Valley for Reds and am looking for opinions on whether the 3rd week in April (the week of the 16th) will be OK to chase one down? Thanks in advance.
    cheers
    Bruce
    Hey mate! I dont see why you would have any dramas chasing them around that time, I personally like to hunt them about the first 10 or so days in April but the roar can vary a little each year depending on conditions.
    hay Bruce last year I spent around 22days in the Vally starting around the 25th.
    Stags were roaring the first night but shutting down before sun up. The action increased day to day, with the peak in the first week of April, the second week slowed down but activity was still steady. It was a bit of an odd year with it being so dry until that cyclone up north produced some rain, filling all the wallows and creeks that made the hinds spread right out.

I reckon its going to be a cracker year this one with all the recent rain the feed in knee high and there have been some good velvet getting about already.
    This year theres a full moon 30th march which may kick off some hinds cycling a bit earlier, 16th is the new moon so in my opinion should be pretty solid by then.
    The next full moon is then 30th april which will quiet them down
    Glad i logged in today.. Cant wait for the rut this year.. when do you blokes start scouting a new area, ive been lucky enough to find a sweet spot this year keen to have a look around. Is starting to scout next week too early as i avent set a foot on these new hunting grounds yet.?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hooker View Post
    Glad i logged in today.. Cant wait for the rut this year.. when do you blokes start scouting a new area, ive been lucky enough to find a sweet spot this year keen to have a look around. Is starting to scout next week too early as i avent set a foot on these new hunting grounds yet.?!
    Never too early Thomas and your pretty switched on with this whole hunting deer with a bow caper.
    At least it would be worth while to have a look and see what the game trails and deer are doing on that property, look for wallows to check back on, and maybe make some wind rows with fallen branches to make natural blinds at any decent ambush points, also if your running trail cams February is a great time to view stags in hard velvet but as far as scouting goes, any mature red deer stags seen in the area during the pre rut, generally, will move off to rut elsewhere and 2 weeks before the rut hits full swing, you should notice new stags appearing in your area as long as there's enough hind's around to keep em keen.
    Last edited by Rhino1; 13th January 2018 at 12:11 PM.
    Thanks Rhino1, great tips.. Good to see your still out n about..
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hooker View Post
    Thanks Rhino1, great tips.. Good to see your still out n about..
    Seems to be a good year ahead, just spent 4 days/nights in the mountains doing recon for 2018, seen a few soft velvet fellas, seen some spikes that didn't shed (bone white) and just about every hind was milky with a fawn, I was surprised to see very young hinds (last years yearlings) collecting their new fawns from the long grass areas in the arvos too, I love this time of the year.
    Fingers crossed we don't have a rut like 2016 cos its looking good
    Last edited by Rhino1; 26th January 2018 at 01:26 PM.
    Yeah thats awsome. The amount of Rusa fawns i saw last year was ten fold compared to my first two years hunting them.. I had a chat to the old bowhunter whos been hunting the new red spot i got onto for the last 8yrs, not as many deer there that id hoped, so back to the drawing board for me chasing down red deer.
    I finally looked over a block last weekend thatd id been putting over for awhile now and was surprised to see a few good hinds around most had fawns which seem promising. I walked all ridge tops checking fence lines and found some decent sized hof prints and droppings semi fresh.
    One thing i was very surprised about was the movement of the deer on 35 deg days was more then antisipated. Cant wait to see how this year goes ive got the weekend after easter booked in..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast