Arrowhead Magazine

Arrow Setup for 67#

It would be great to get some suggestions on this. Has anyone setup a bow around this weight that could give me a little knowledge on their setup? Ideally I would like to be shooting around 11gpp which should be around 175fps.

What I am planning to work on is 67@29 Thunderchild with 300 widow smash arrows. Steel outserts and a 250gr point.

Do you think I am in the right ballpark to start bare shafting?

Regards
    Hey Hayden,300 widowmakers with steel outserts and a 200gr broadheads fly perfect out of my 63# huntsman recurve,should be around the money
    I am shooting widows too. Due to injury I only just got back into tuning the bow up.
    I found full length 300's with 200-250 tips plus steel outserts were way weak....seriously weak.
    I have a set of 250's coming to me to try out now.

Arrow Setup for 67#

This is one thing that bothers me about manufacturers.
    They say spine x ie good for this poundage ar this length.
    But that's with a 100grn point and un specified ~20grn insert.

If you go by Easton specs then add 6lb to your draw weight for every 50grains over that 100 of point weight.
    So you are 67lb +19lb -5lb for now speed approx for your draw length.
    So find arrows to suit a 81lb bow @29"

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    -= The Matter is Void =-
    I was running full length 300 widow makers with a std outset and 250grn heads out of my 65#@29 thunder child with perfect tune achieved by tuning with the strike plate thickness I found 250 worked great out of my 85# thunderchild with weight tubes and 200grn point again I tuned with the strike plate to get perfect tune.
    Pse carbon air stealth
    Prime one stx39
    Javaman Elkhart 56" 2pc 71@29
    Javaman helms deep 56" 2pc 70@29
    Montana bows pika 54" 2pc 55@29
    Quote Originally Posted by haydenj7 View Post
    I am shooting widows too. Due to injury I only just got back into tuning the bow up.
    I found full length 300's with 200-250 tips plus steel outserts were way weak....seriously weak.
    I have a set of 250's coming to me to try out now.
    what's your draw length? did you try trimming the 300's? try trimming a 300 to your minimum length and try it or put as much weight upfront as you can and try that too. you may be able to confirm something either way. if you arrow flight improves with lots of weight upfront it would confirm my suspicion that they are too stiff.

i shoot 340 axis at about 30" long out of my 70# border recurve with 400gr upfront with my 28" AMO draw length. i'd be surprised if the 300's are weak. i'd bet they are so stiff they are giving you a false weak indication, especially since the thunderchild is probably only cut to center at the most.

if you need 250 spine for a 67# bow with 250-300gr up front then there isn't an arrow made that will work for any bow with heavier draw weight and arrows
    The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

Border Black Douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
    brigalow selfbow with rawhide string
    flynn, how long are your arrows for your thunder child? the 65lb?
    I am certain my 250's were reading a false weak...so I am back to the drawing board and planning to build an arrow setup for each of my bows that is 10GPP. I have always been hunting with 12GPP but want a flatter trajectory.
    I'm running .300 spine native heatseekers @ 30.5" long, 60gr insert and a 200gr broadhead bareshafted and tuned beautifully through my Schafer recurve @ 65#. I can also run the the .250spine full length using a 300gr broadhead with the same results. Bow is 61@28 but draws approx 65@29.5
    Schafer Silvertip Recurve 65#
    Lots of variables involved and i reckon the centreshot plays the biggest role.
    With my 68# rd longbow, full length .340s are bang on with 430 grains up front. Was cut no where near centre tho.

Arrow Setup for 67#

Quote Originally Posted by clinton miller View Post
    what's your draw length? did you try trimming the 300's? try trimming a 300 to your minimum length and try it or put as much weight upfront as you can and try that too. you may be able to confirm something either way. if you arrow flight improves with lots of weight upfront it would confirm my suspicion that they are too stiff.

i shoot 340 axis at about 30" long out of my 70# border recurve with 400gr upfront with my 28" AMO draw length. i'd be surprised if the 300's are weak. i'd bet they are so stiff they are giving you a false weak indication, especially since the thunderchild is probably only cut to center at the most.

if you need 250 spine for a 67# bow with 250-300gr up front then there isn't an arrow made that will work for any bow with heavier draw weight and arrows
    Yep. What Clint said.

Unless........Another variation that will influence spine off similar specs that often isnít considered is shooting split or 3 under. Thatís without assuming a fixed crawl is involved, if you shoot a FC spine is dramatically effected towards the stiffer end, in short the bow will ask for a weaker spine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk