Stalker Bows
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bunya Nuts

Been getting stuck into them, been eating them since we were kids, we all love them boiled. Good to boil small batches at a time as if you go the whole lot at once they can get mouldy with the moisture in the outer husk. I've heard the aborigines used to congregate on certain areas when they were dropping and sort of have a gathering and get stuck into them, put on weight.

Here, found some info:

When the harvesting period of the bunya pines approaches, messengers would be sent by the forest custodians to different territories to declare the upcoming festival. People would travel from far away just to take part in this festival. During this festival season they would gather in the Bunya Mountains and arrange ceremonies, marriages, trade goods, hold fights and also settle disputes. The bunya nuts served as a food resource, which was enough to support the gatherings of thousands of people for several months. As the season comes to a close, these people would return to their home territories.

http://www.valuefood.info/2107/healt...-of-bunya-nut/

Bunya Nuts

Iíve been trying to learn as much as possible about bush tucker of late. So far Iíve learnt about and sampled Gebung, Lomandra and Wattles. Ya never know when it might just make the difference between life and death. Canít wait to give these a go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimall View Post
    Cook them in the water after making corn meat until they split.....MMMMM.
    Peanuts in the shell go well like this too!

Public Relations Officer, Head Bowhunting Instructor & past "Supreme Commander"- Pacific Bowmen inc
    Game Hunters Association of Australia inc - Life Member
    ABA Bowhunting Instructor
    ADA qualified measurer
    Former Game Council R Licence Examiner

Assassin Automotive Solutions

We'll "take care" of your problems

Quarry Road, Murwillumbah , NSW. Ph: 0481 303965
    Turns out most of the cones from the bunya tree at work egg up in the water. Find 2 while fishing, but they had started rotting and smelt funky. Makes the nuts easy to get out though

Found 2 under the tree today. So now I've got some of the nuts still in the hard shell/husk. So I cook them in the shell, or crack them out before cooking?

Do they have to be cooked out can you eat them raw?
    eject, EJECT!!
    Actually, the funny thing when I checked out the tree today was that there were nuts laying all over the ground, not the cones but the nuts from inside. I was still on work time so I didn't have the time to pick them up, just 1 while come and 2 halves

I just read that the aboriginals fermented them at times. Makes me wonder if the ones I found that floated on the water and were fermenting would still be fine. The nuts inside may not even be effected
    eject, EJECT!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12