Hoyt Archery

Calling them in...

Hey boys,

With the fallow rut just around the corner. What (if any) calls is anyone using?

I was out at Pennsylvania SF on the weekend, and after zero pig/goat sightings and then accidentally bumping a mob of (currently unshootable) red does I decided to try a fawn in distress sound with a fairly cheap reed call. It sounded pretty legit to my ears but maybe a little too loud (no discernable response from the deer).

So along with recommendations for actual physical calls I'm wondering what particular sounds you'all make with them and what results you might have had.

Cheers
    Steve
    Sure they were reds? Never seen a red in there, only Fallow. That said, a mate saw a red stag once.
    “I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear
    Can't be 100% I was coming up the shady side of a firebreak, and as I came up to a big pine that was growing kind of out of the row and into the break they bolted back into the pines from the opposite side of the tree.

So I never saw them in the open, only flashes through the trees as they took off. I spose they could have been fallow with the solid brown summer coat on (definitely no spotted fur that I saw), but the impression I got was of a redder colour and quite a tall animal. So I'm sticking with reds, but I could very well be wrong.
    I'd bet my left nut they were Fallow. Lots of dark brown (melanistic colour phase) ones in there mate. Need to head further east for reds in SF's.
    “I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear