TUSX
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: early roar ??

early roar ??

hi all,
    with two rumours that reds were roaring in SEQ I rang the property I hunt . he said they had been roaring for several days.

questions are , is this just immature stags practising ??

we have had a drop in temp , could this bring on an early roar ??

and if we have a couple of days of hot weather will this shut them down until the true cooler temps kick in at the end of the month ??

look forward to your replies .

cheers chris
    I say "let's go out there and see for oursleves"!!(:
    Suss it out but don't expect much yet. I've just spent 3 nights on the ridge tops, nothing heard day or night within earshot other than cattle and there is a deer farm close by here too. Fenced/farmed deer will start early and finish late only because they have nothing better to do in a paddock.

early roar ??

I think deer density and proximity has more to do with early onset of farm deer rutting. Was at a mates deer farm last weekend of Feb and he had a red roaring.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    ill be going out there on Tuesday for a look, couldn't get out there on the weekend. ill let you know what happens, time to start my weekly hunts and get mountain fit. cheers
    Can depend alot on weather. a cool change at this time of year will certainly get them fired up.

Most years you will see them starting mid march if season conditions are favourable, most of ours are done and dusted by 2nd week of april.
    Craig Hailes

Host of Hunting Camp Downunder Podcast

Wingham, NSW 2429
    +61 439 471 949
    huntingcampdownunder@gmail.com
    @huntingcampdownunder
    @craighailes
    There is no doubt its a deer but not the start of the rut.....yet, are you still hunting Gympie area Chris. I've been listening and recording red deer vocalisations for a bit over 10 years and have a massive interest in it, there's some research PDFs based on red vocalisations mainly from Russia and Poland which offer some insight into what's going on. At one property at Jimna there was a 4x that bedded down in a particular gully and every morning he would call and call from the saddle as he made his way in to bed down for the day. He really never missed a beat for 2 years until he dissapeared and always seemed to be bedded by himself anyways.
    Wild red deer are very vocal and there is a phenomenonal amount of different calls mainly mews and moo's (for the record I've never heard red deer make that meep sound that everyone seems so deadset keen on)
    Day length and moon phase seems to be the decider for hinds to come in heat en masse which kicks things off, 2016 rut was a definite learning curve, day time temps were still high 30's and the humidity was stifling, first rut that I was pouring sweat while sitting down operating an electronic caller, even old timers were saying the rut would be late because of the heat wave blah blah blah, yeah nah the rut coincides with day length and moon phase not temperature in my short time following and watching those royal reds.
    Last edited by Rhino1; 12th March 2018 at 11:51 AM.
    I agree on day length. What's been your observations in regards to moon phase?

With fallow where I hunt them, in both 2016 & 2017, the 16th April seems to have been the peak of rut activity. Temperature has a smaller effect as it is nearly always mild to warm that time if year there.

In 2016 the 22nd was full moon, in 2017 the 11th was full moon. This year the 16th is new moon.
    It appears, at least for fallow where I hunt them, the moon phase has little effect on rut timing. But maybe it manifests itself in a change in other behaviors during the rut? I'm not sure.
    It will be interesting to see the effect of a dark sky this year. Plus the easter weekend warriors won't be out this year during my area's peak time like they were last year, which is good.
    The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

Border Black Douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
    brigalow selfbow with rawhide string
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino1 View Post
    There is no doubt its a deer but not the start of the rut.....yet, are you still hunting Gympie area Chris. I've been listening and recording red deer vocalisations for a bit over 10 years and have a massive interest in it, there's some research PDFs based on red vocalisations mainly from Russia and Poland which offer some insight into what's going on. At one property at Jimna there was a 4x that bedded down in a particular gully and every morning he would call and call from the saddle as he made his way in to bed down for the day. He really never missed a beat for 2 years until he dissapeared and always seemed to be bedded by himself anyways.
    Wild red deer are very vocal and there is a phenomenonal amount of different calls mainly mews and moo's (for the record I've never heard red deer make that meep sound that everyone seems so deadset keen on)
    Day length and moon phase seems to be the decider for hinds to come in heat en masse which kicks things off, 2016 rut was a definite learning curve, day time temps were still high 30's and the humidity was stifling, first rut that I was pouring sweat while sitting down operating an electronic caller, even old timers were saying the rut would be late because of the heat wave blah blah blah, yeah nah the rut coincides with day length and moon phase not temperature in my short time following and watching those royal reds.
    Sorry I should have elaborated a little more, I totally agree with the above, I was more inferring vocalisations not so much the rut itself. The vocalisations are pretty cool to listen to, I dunno about a little meep for reds either, but the old nasally mew works a treat.
    Craig Hailes

Host of Hunting Camp Downunder Podcast

Wingham, NSW 2429
    +61 439 471 949
    huntingcampdownunder@gmail.com
    @huntingcampdownunder
    @craighailes
    Hailes, we posted at the same time and I hadn't seen your post otherwise I would of worded it different. You can't always pick it and different herds in different areas seem to have their own little quirks, I had access to a property near Esk for years and we were lucky to get a solid week of roars in that area and then over at another block near Conondale (which isn't far) they would be going for weeks, which I found fairly interesting.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast