Apex Archery
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sh1tney (as little as possible), also Central Coast
    Hey stu, I really rate the klymit mats. I haven't slept well on the ground for a long time, been using a hammock for ages. I bought a klymit mat for my son and after trying his, bought one for me too.
    I'm 6'6" and 130kg. I was really pleasantly surprised at how well it kept me off the ground. Usually, my hip and shoulders will press on the ground, but I found the klymit was good at keeping me off the ground.
    I have the static V indicate ones, we used then at Christmas in very hot weather, I had no problem with the mat keeping me too hot

I don't think using space blankets underneath is lucky to help a lot in the cold. The reason they work to keep someone warm in an emergency is that when wrapped in a space blanket, it traps a layer of air around your body. Your own body heats the air, and is the air that it's the insulator.
    Same with an insulated sleep mat. The insulation inside traps the air, and stops the convection currents circulating the air between your warm body, and the cold ground. A space blanket with no air trapped between it and you will not insulate much at all.
    Thanks Mr Gudgeon. Looks like I should try looking for someone who is unhappy with the Klymit!

My thinking with the space blanket is reflecting the thermal radiation, which is what they are meant to do to keep you warm. Just thinking to try and reflect a bit back to the user that would dissipate underneath. Not trying to be argumentative and dismiss what you say, but if it was purely just trapping the air that did the warming then a piece of non reflective plastic would do the same job as a space blanket
    eject, EJECT!!
    Sh1tney (as little as possible), also Central Coast
    You might be right. Space blankets are a couple of bucks on eBay, might be worth trying
    now I have a little spare cash I'm starting to stock up on things like that. Just wish I had some way of testing it to be sure
    eject, EJECT!!
    If you want to use a space blanket type arrangement, and have it wrap you, it will trap the moisture off your body during the night.
    Yep - you will wake up wet - in a cold environment that could be bad.

Have a look at an SOL Escape Lite bivvy or the SOL Escape Lite bivvy.
    I use these to layer my sleep gear. Whenit's cold, the sleep mat goes inside it along with my bag.

Most important thing for thermal insulation though is your sleeping bag. Remember that you have the insulation of the bag between you & the mat.

FYI, I use a Klymit Inertia X-Frame mat. Coldest use so far is down to 3 degrees. Haven't tried it in minus temps yet.
    Cheers gaz. Was definitely not planning to wrap myself in space blanket for the reason you mention.

The issue with sleeping bag underneath seems to be the fact that it's squashed down underneath you, reduces it's insulation a lot I've found. Not surprising considering it's insulation comes from it's loft.

I'll suss out those bivvies. I'm not in the market for one though, got a surplus Gore tex that I use

With that x frame mat you would be a back sleeper I'm guessing? They don't look like they would suit side sleepers
    eject, EJECT!!
    Just wondering how you guys store the Klymit insulated mats. I've followed this thread (thanks for starting it Stu) and I'm impressed with the reviews and comments about the Klymit range.
    Storage is something Important for me to consider.
    Cheers,
    Paul
    Well I did it, went and bought a Klymit Static v Luxe XL. It arrives Monday so I'll get a chance to put it through it's paces at the group hug.
    I guess no response on storage? I was wondering similar, of moisture from breath can cause issues etc over time
    eject, EJECT!!
    Quote Originally Posted by disco stu View Post
    I guess no response on storage? I was wondering similar, of moisture from breath can cause issues etc over time
    Most people I know store theirs rolled up. Only issue I've come across was with my neo air, spent about 6 months stored after a few weeks in humid conditions and grew mild on the inside. Bit of rinsing and storing outside with valve open and it was fine. That was about 3 years ago and no further issues.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast