Stalker Bows
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    That's mould not mild
    Cheers
    eject, EJECT!!
    I have used those windscreen reflectors/cosmiks type things under the kids sleep matts when caught out in the cold- and they worked well! I have also seen an evacool esky covered in those with gaffer tape by MarkV from this forum and that worked well too!

When I was in the cadets many years ago, and then reserves, I used a closed cell type foam mattress and wrapped my self in a wool blanket with black plastic covering the outside for night maneuvers. Mind you we were in relative cold environments and rain, with full kit on and L1A1 would be nestled in beside you and pack keeping the plastic up off your face. Only sleeping for an hour or so at a time!

I have a thermarest 3/4 length self inflator (can't remember the model, but it's in a yellow bag!) that I have used in NZ a couple of times, both in a tent and bivvy bag. It goes OK. I still reckon for insulation from the cold coming up from underneath you can't beat the old closed cell foam mattress....not overly comfortable for us older/middle aged gents though!

Public Relations Officer, Head Bowhunting Instructor & past "Supreme Commander"- Pacific Bowmen inc
    Game Hunters Association of Australia inc - Life Member
    ABA Bowhunting Instructor
    ADA qualified measurer
    Former Game Council R Licence Examiner

Assassin Automotive Solutions

We'll "take care" of your problems

Quarry Road, Murwillumbah , NSW. Ph: 0481 303965
    That's something I was going to do as well-cover my ice box in reflector space blankets or similar. Should help it last longer.

I might give it go making a groundsheet covered in space blanket to try out-just put my matt over the top. I'm on my final internship for uni right now, and was planning to buy myself a decent mat once I'm finished this (hoping to have a life back and start getting out more-uni was just hanging over my head and sucking the life out of me). Planning on getting one of the Klymit insulated ones.

I've got a fair bit of the black plastic that I grabbed from the bin at my old workplace. Planning to use some of that for a hootchie. I'm also pondering how much cover I need if I'm using a bivvie-only my head needs it for comfort. But then I'm tossing up the weight different between larger hutchie and bivvie bag, but I figure the bivvie will provide more warmth by stopping any breeze penetrating sleeping bag. I've started looking into lightweight material that is water resistant, windproof but breathable to make a lighter bivvie out of. My current one is goretex from the US Army modular sleep system

Interestingly, I was reading about one guy playing with hutchie type setups who decided to make one with clear on one side, and reflector/spaceblanket on the other side. Clear side would face towards the fire,with the intention that the radiation would be reflected onto him while the fire had something in it. He said that it worked surprisingly well, but obviously only while fire is burning. He was in snowy conditions over in the US
    eject, EJECT!!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234