Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1

    My biggest ever, definetly put the kettle on for this one. :)

    Hackles, Hooks and Horns.

    I hope you all enjoy this epic tale, it was one hell of a hunt a couple of years ago with Doug Stoganovski with many great critters taken. Because it was so big, my biggest ever which is saying something we had to edit the hell out of it to fit in the Arrowhead magazine and even then, it was over two issues. But this is the full version with many more great photos of the hunt shown plus a few links to some short videos. So, sit back with a cuppa and some bikkies and enjoy the read
    The words written tell of a hunt and a very successful hunt at that in which many a fine game animal was taken. It is not always about the taking of an animal but of the travels, the journey and passage that we partake on to be the best we can be in the eyes of our equals. I hope you read this story of epic proportions and it inspires, motivates and encourages you to get out in the Australian bush to explore its beauty and amazement.

    The hunt.
    Months of phone calls and emails were sent back and forth between my good mate Doug Stogonovski and I in preparedness for a solid weeks bow hunting in mid-January 2016. I have found around this time of year the heat out west really starts to peak in the 40 degrees plus temperatures and along with this heat the critters we all love to hunt being big loan boars and big old billy goats love to water and that’s the place to be.

    It is not for the faint hearted with these temperatures but the rewards sure do pay dividends if you’re willing and able to put in the effort, in effort I mean up at 5am to be at your hunting ground which could be up to half hour drive by 6am or sometimes more, hunt all day stopping for snacks only and to replenish fluids, to be hunting a desired spot late in the afternoon up until dark at 9pm, sometimes we then had to walk half hour or more back to the vehicle and then travel home and prepare dinner, the hunting pack, sharpen arrows in Doug’s case bless him (I took enough not to worry about that), shower etc. Before getting a little sleep and starting all over again. Can certainly take its toll on your body and mind, but I would do it every day of the week if I could.

    Over the years with my skill as an electrician I have gained some access to some excellent properties around my home town and it was some of these that Doug and I were to visit. Most of these places had ground tanks and bores that held water, along with some creek systems which could produce if the water stayed around long enough during the hot climate. It will be these places that we would concentrate on and hunt before giving it a spell and returning later if the particular spot produced the goods.

    The main place we were to hunt (base camp) luckily had an old house which was in good condition to utilise, being a house it had an evaporative air conditioner, fridge, running shower and a cool room of which we used to hold a couple of young eaters we harvested. In my vehicle I have a pretty good secondary battery set up with solar input if required to run a fridge. In this fridge we had fluids and some food and also kept some additional bedding (fly camp) and small gas BBQ on the roof rack if we got waylaid out in the scrub and needed to stay overnight. We also had this very plan to do this on one of the neighbouring properties during the weeks hunt.

    Both Doug and I had hand held radios equipped with ear pieces for communication during our hunts and first aid kits in our packs. I personally carry an PLB and have an extensive first aid kit in the car as well as my satellite phone. These things and more I carry in my back pack as pictured below from maps to knives, electrical tape to matches, I would rather have it and not need it then want it and not have it.

    Doug made the long trip up from Melbourne to my home town of Cobar and stopped just outside of town in the early hours of the morning for a few hours of restless sleep, you know the sleep when you’re near your desired hunting ground. I was up early and already packed for the trip, a quick call to Doug with some directions to my home before another quick introduction to my family and some good byes and we hit the road for another few hours until we reached our hunting destination of base camp, but not before calling in to the owners and dropping off some fresh prawns and nice bottle of wine.

    Doug wanted to try out and review a hunting blind he had bought along so we set out on a bit of a reconnaissance tour to check some likely spots before settling on a one of the smaller dams with a lot of game trails coming into water. He certainly proved his very capable and skilled in opening gates without the need of assistance or aid. He is a good man our Doug.

    The weather was forecast for a possible shower in our area that night and a cool change the following day so it would be good to set up the blind and leave it for a day or two before returning when the weather was to heat up, but not before a very sickly nanny was seen watering and slowly meandering off to some shade, not liking the way she looked or walked I promptly put an end to her inevitable demise with a well-placed arrow from 22 meters. We then dragged her closer to an area near the blind in the hope that it may attract a swine or two.

    The blind in question with a little eater taken by me for the Doug’s pot.

    Getting back to the vehicle and with a few hours of light left we ventured north to a long watering point to check and see if it still held water, which it did. Wanting to walk this creek the following day after the cooler weather change we decided to head and check another dam surrounded by some lignum not too far away. Halve way there and crossing a creek some goats were spotted out on a lignum filled feeding flat that needed some closer attention so we geared up and went in for an inspection.

    All the goats seemed to be mature billies but trying to locate a real shooter was proving difficult, sneaking in and backing out and circling round to find similar sized goats. Being that Doug had not put anything on the ground recently he settled on a nice white billy around the 30 inches mark and started in on the stalk with me close behind on the camera clicking away.

    Waiting patiently for the right angle the white ones stops feeding and turns around to start walking towards his mate. At 17 meters Doug’s at full draw with his Hoyt Spyder 34 and gives out a soft bleat to stop the billy before sending an Easton axis tipped with a 125grain muzzy straight thru his chest to have him down within 15 meters. It was great to get the monkey of his back and get one on the ground after such a long time and pretty to watch as well.

    After photos we started on our way down the fence line with the wind and the cooler weather change making its presence felt. Looking ahead a strange log shape was seen at a bend in the road “hang on that just moved” and I quickly shut of the engine and put the binos up for a glass, sure enough a young boar was spotted nosing around. I promptly departed the vehicle and grabbed my bow with Doug in tow with the camera in hand.

    Moving to the side of the road into some cover I quickly closed the gap to around 22 meters with the aid of the strong breeze draining out any excess noise except when it all went quite when at full draw and while positioning my feet my back pack broke a small branch while manoeuvring for an optimum angle. The little boar looked up before slowly moving into cover but not before I clipped of the shot and put one thru his chest.

    He darted straight into the thicker stuff and gave me another chance for a follow up and not wanting a lengthy trail to follow I quickly secured him with my second arrow from about 25 meters, he spun around and took off but only made it another 30 more meters himself until he hit the deck. After some photos we started off to our destination which was not too far away luckily as we were losing some daylight.


    Nearing our next hunting location with only around 20 minutes of light left we quickly geared up to check a dam surrounded by lignum to the north and to the south but had a clearing out to the west where we could glass and hopefully find some swine to entertain us. Spying a black shape start out from cover Doug hit the road to try and close the distance on the feeding hog. Not knowing if it was a boar or a sow but needing to be ready none the less Doug closed the distance in no time to around 20 meters to ascertain it was only a sow and so was left alone.

    That night we had the weather change and a short light splatter of rain enough to only keep the dust down the following day which had us venture into a 40 odd thousand acre paddock with a nice long creek to follow. Checking the wind we set out to leave Doug’s vehicle near one end of the creek and then travel in mine to the opposite end and with a favourable wind for the long hike back to the vehicle optimising our chances of encountering game.

    The walk was pretty much uneventful although looked promising until around the mid-way point when I located some goats feeding out along the edge of a flat that led into the main creek, we both snuck in closer to inspect and ummed and erred for a while before leaving them be so to be able to grow a little bigger.

    We split up again with radios on and started weaving in and out of some lignum with Doug heading down to the East of the main creek and myself to the West. Spying a solid boar just up ahead coming down off the red soil and into the black soiled lignum flat I loaded an arrow and progressed slowly forward in anticipation of a shot but alas he’d vanished. Walking around in circles trying to locate him as I had a very good wind found the black boar nearly bowl me over as he came skittling out of some brush up wind of me but downwind of where Doug was.

    With that the lignum became less and more water became prevalent, so once again we were on opposite sides of the main creek, Doug headed more East after hearing some Goats bleating while I continued down the water course to an area marked on my GPS called pig beds. This area has many shady trees broken up by the creek system giving it little islands so to speak with many a place for a hog to hide in.

    Tip towing thru once such area had me glass a small boar feeding on a small island so to speak surrounded by water, not being able to walk the water out and circle around because of the wind I had to back track to a fallen tree I knew of to cross the water, if he was a huge boar I would have swam the English channel without hesitation but alas he was not and I did not want wet feet all day, bit of a sook sometime I guess?


  2. #2
    Over the water now with the wind in my face and sneaking along the water’s edge up to where the little boar was feeding I was concentrating on his location when “whoaaf” a bunch of pigs bedded above my eye line (I’m definitely not 6 foot tall) erupted out of the leaf litter and debris, quickly noticing a big mud encrusted boar in amongst the mob of 7-9 animals soon had me switch targets and focus on the big fella.

    Cresting the creek bank I seen the mob run about 80-100 meters before stopping, sure that they had not smelt me but only heard me they were spooked but still wanted to bed up. I watched intently from a shaded vantage point down wind and soon enough some pigs were seen coming back down another small dry tributary of the main creek.

    Game on I thought as I snuck closer and waited in ambush to only find that three sows had returned and were nosing around now only at 12 meters from me but starting to bed up again. Do I or don’t I as the sow bedded broadside from me, “don’t be stupid the big boys here somewhere” so I glacially backed out and went further afield in my quest for the big black beast.

    Traveling another 50-60 meters stopping every few meters to glass every nook, hole and cranny in my surrounds found a pig ear flicker as it was silhouetted beside a tree at around 40 meters from my current position. Gaining a better vantage point had a definite three possibly four pigs bedded side by side facing downwind with what looked like the big boy on the far left nested up against some logs, hardly a snowflakes chance in hell of getting in close for shot from that angle with the logs an all.

    But we bow hunters persevere and endure to achieve our targets so I worked on the only angle I had which was a quartering on shot but I needed to seriously gain some ground and height to be able to shoot over the snout of the now to be known third sow of the four pigs bedded.

    To do this I needed to back out again and come in on my desired angle but keep as low as a snails a#s hole, so I crawled for around 15-20 meters taking my time as I had the wind in my favour with ample shade from the trees and leaves overhead which also assisted in drowning out any unwanted noise.

    Gee I love our country but why does it have to have every known burr, prickle, spine or barb ready to punch a hole in your skin, add to this the little biters in ants, crawlies and bugs, they sure make us work for our trophy’s. I’m painfully close now and with the heart beating frantically and feverishly as I believe I’m actually about to get this job done, I pinch a few more meters and slowly squat beside my escape tree (the last two big tusky boars I have stalked and shot have tried to eat me) so forgive me if I wanted to see out this day in one piece.

    Nah jokes aside I’m close now at 19 meters with one small tree for cover which I hope will allow me to glass and pick my spot, draw and slowly stand if need be to be able to make that tough shot over piggy number three’s nose and into the vitals of the big fella.

    One last glass and I clip on and turn on my tactacam, my body aches as the tension on the Hoyt carbon element beckons as I come into anchor, now too gradually stand and unleash some Easton on some swine but alas I’m pinned by sow number one while in the kneeling stage, she stands and faces my direction which gets big fellas attention who now stands as well and OMFG his chomping some big pearly whites and is one monster of a mud encrusted, testosterone infused black enormous behemoth of a boar.

    As he stood I now did not have to stand for my shot, but all I had was a head shot as he stared in my direction chomping those tusks, oh my frantically, frenzied heart is going to explode, he turned broadside for a second ready to explode himself but he wants his ladies and turns back slightly quartering on and wham my arrow sets off on its mission of seek and destroy and cannons into the big fellas chest, “whooaaff” he roars and scurries out of there with the other pigs going here there and everywhere.

    Man I sit down and start shaking in disbelief as a huge in rush of adrenaline hits me in a wave of ecstasy and euphoria. I give him some time and contact Doug with my location so he can make his way to lend me a hand. Arriving I give him a rundown of what just transpired and we set forth on the trail the big brute left behind for me to follow and the trail ended very happily indeed.

    Some pearly whites.

    Big mud encrusted critters, just how we like em.

    I don’t know who’s smiling more him or me, me I reckon.


    We got a lot of photos of the big beast before I set out and removed his jaw and strapped it to my pack to be boiled out when time permitted. He ended up with the right tusk being 8” long with 2 6/8” grind with 2 2/8” girths but his second was chipped so he ended up being 27 4/8, still as happy as a pig in poo with him but.

    Now Doug and I were together again we checked a coloured map I had of the paddock we were in and decided to head south east to check some feeding flats which might produce a goat or two. We still had a favourable wind and soon found the flat and started glassing the area to see if any stinkers were about. Not seeing much but hearing some up ahead we ventured off in that direction along the flats edge keeping in the shade.

    Nearing the location of the bleats we happened along a bachelor mob of billies consisting of 5 animals. “Wait there is one more out to the left alone by himself and he looks a treat “came the excited voice of Doug as he put the glasses on him. He certainly was worthy of an arrow but we somehow how had to get closer but were stalled by one persistent and annoying billie eyeing us off.

    The big bedded billie Doug was after.

    Being that they were bedded and not going anywhere and with a strong and steady wind blowing from our right to our left I instructed Doug to go back a couple of hundred meters to a scattering of gum trees to use as cover before circling north and directly downwind of the goats and start the stalk with the wind in his face. Meanwhile I got comfy in the shade and turned on the radio to assist Doug with the stalk.

    Doug soon was back in view thru my bino’s but still a couple of hundred meters from the bedded goats and judging by his current direction I gave him a rough estimate of distance and some landmarks where the big fella was sound asleep. I also gave him the added encouragement over the radio of “mate he definitely is a cracker, get into him”.

    With a little time he soon progressed slowly to a spot I guessed would be his maximum shooting distance but was waylaid by a resting kangaroo with the billie still bedded not offering a shot. In the meantime a rather large mob appeared from the surrounding hopbush to Doug’s left and made a beeline for his current position. This is going to be interesting I thought to myself.

    Well it turned into a game of who could stare the longest and Doug’s patience won over and eventually the large mob got a little restless and moved away slightly but not before getting the bachelor mobs attention who decided to follow suit and from my angle could possibly walk straight past him around 40 odd meters.

    It turned out that I was not very far off the mark as Doug came to full draw at 38 meters and punched one thru the body of the big fella but just a touch back. At the aftermath of the shot all the goats congregated around a large shady tree including Doug’s billie and also another cracker which came in late with the big mob that interrupted us.

    I started to come closer to lend assistance if required and located Doug closing the distance on the mob. Thinking of arrowing the second cracker in the mob but changing his mind to pursue the wounded one showed ethics and morals that only a seasoned hunter like Doug could comprehend. It paid off though as the remaining goats started to move off and left him with a 25 meter shot to have the big fella down on the ground in a very short time.

    Many handshakes and high fives were taken and even more so after I rummaged thru my back pack and found a tape and put it over him to find that he went 40.5”, well it started again with the handshakes and pats on the back for a tough stalk in enduring circumstances. IMHO it really stands out as a goal reached and accomplished it you can single out one trophy no matter how big within a group of animals and get the job done. It sure was rewarding for me to witness the hunt and be there to congratulate him on his first 40” billy. Well done again mate.

    We then removed his head and strapped it to his pack and with some good hooks strapped to mine we set off the on the remaining three kilometres back to the vehicle we left earlier in a very happy mood. It was starting to get on into the afternoon once we arrived at the vehicle and I made the decision after picking up my Colorado that we would make our way around the water and head east before turning south and make our way home via one last ground tank and a few feeding flats that we would pass on the way and glass for some critters.

    We still had a very good wind and slowed down for the feeding flats but nothing worthy was spotted so continued on. Nearing the flat that led to the dam and anticipating something to chase I shut off the engine, informed Doug to do the same and rolled down the hill and stopped and lucky for me we did as a beauty of a billy was seen walking atop of a table drain that led into the dam, he had just watered and seemed to be alone, but that’s how you sometimes find the big ones.

    He was sort of on to us or more so the two odd shapes being the vehicles so we slinked out the door and picked up our hunting gear while the billy was out of view behind some fallen down timber. We quickly backtracked to the top of the red sand hill we just rolled down and started in thru the ever present hopbush that likes to frequent such areas, it can certainly give cover for stalking but makes it oh so hard to find clear shooting lanes while one’s deeply entwined in it.

    Snaking along the sand hills edge with the billy slowly making his way closer with every step finds us at 40 meters with the big brown billy ambling along before stopping and turning broadside and bedding down. With this in mind I take advantage of the cover and wind and pinch another 9 meters until I’m out of cover and things come to a standstill and the waiting game begins.

    I have the glasses on him and pick a spot and decide to turn fate into my own hands and make things happen. I’m pretty calm while looking over this billy considering he looks pretty darn impressive, but soon I come into anchor and float the pin nicely over the my spot I’m burning a hole thru and cut the shot.

    Oh no what have I done as my first instinct was that the shot went high and I quickly load up another Easton as the billy jumps to his feet and starts on a run towards the thick hopbush. I’m now on a mission and know I have to slow him down, he gives me nothing as I close the distance on his intended route but then he stop’s to look back from 20 meters and my arrow is away before I even I knew it straight up the freckle for a complete pass thru as my arrow exited out the front of his chest, he takes one or two steps and collapses on the ground. A real trophy.

    Man what a day, a cracking great hog followed up by Doug’s first forty incher and now this beast lays at my feet. I remove his head to be capped later and find him to be a very old goat going backwards. What teeth he had left were well worn or missing and add to that loose as well, he was in poor shape and will now adorn my wall instead of a red sand hill out west decaying in the hot red sand.

    We then went back past our camp and dropped off our trophies and replenished some fluids and arrows and jumped in my vehicle to head out the back of the property to check a channel we were told that had water in it. It was some distance to this spot so it was nice to have the comfort of the air conditioner in the vehicle to cool down.

    Finding the spot we started out on opposite sides of the channel and with the wind in our face, I soon lost sight of Doug as the channel widened and the lignum thickened. Seeing some bird life up ahead told me that water was present so I slowed down and knocked an arrow in the hope that something would show. And it did in a small family mob of a couple of sows and slips.

    I let them be for now and continued on seeing Doug now and then thru the thick foliage, the channel narrowed when the water started to run out and we found ourselves together again but still with some light left we persisted and kept hunting and it wasn’t long before we were reward with a big boar nosing around near some lignum way out in the open.

    Being that he was out in the open I stayed back while Doug tried to circle around to the north using what cover was available, in saying that the cover was very sparse and scant and he did exceptionally well to close the distance to 30 meters while the boar fed with his head facing him offering no shot.

    Waiting for the right angle patiently without moving the big boar all of a sudden starts charging towards him at a full gallop WTF i mutter as I had not seen him shoot, to this day we don't know what happened but he started my way and I tried to get in front of him for a chance but he just veered off the channel and into the red sand hills surrounding us. Lucky for me I guess as I was way out in the open without a scaric of cover.

    Now with fading light we started our way back to the vehicle back past the water and the thick lignum. We heard some commotion going on in there on our way past as some pigs picked up our scent and crashed off into the night. Practically at the car and “grunt, grunt, grunt” was heard and was closing in on us. How it did no smell us bewildered us but I lined it up from 8 meters and let loose some carbon smashing thru the shoulders and dropping a now known sow at my feet.

    After some snaps we started the long drive back to camp talking up a storm of congratulations to one another about the day’s events and how it all unfolded, it was surely was a day to remember. Having a feed of some souvlaki lamb wraps washed down with a cold can of coke was sublime and rewarding. We hatched a plan for the following day to sit in the blind and try for a couple of small eater goats.

    Up bright and early we got to the blind and got comfortable but not before getting a few pictures and then settled down for a few hours. The blind was a ripper with many shooting windows on all sides and a section of the roof which could be used to stand and glass further afield when required. It started to warm up considerably and it was not long before dust followed by bleats of the approaching goats was evident.

    A couple of nice billy’s came in but the first things first was some eaters so Doug’s like a kid in lolly shop saying I want this one and I want that little fat one, so when one of the little plump fellas came available at 26 meters I put one thru the ticker for it to only make 5 meters from the point of impact. Loading up again as the goats only scattered for a short while before returning to quench their thirsts I drilled another young one for the pot from around 22 meters and he too only made it 15 meters for a quick recovery.


  3. #3
    From the previous day being cooler I surmised that not many animals would of drank but today was a different story and many a critter was coming in from far and wide. We got many a photo of the goats in their natural environment playing and butting one another about, it was cool to watch hidden in the confines that the blind provided.

    After a while it was decided that we had to tend the little eaters before they spoiled so I headed back to the vehicle to bring it down to the tank and literally parked it bedside the water so we had a clean work table of sorts on the back of the tray. We took the younger one full as it was in remarkable shape after the shot and we removed the back straps and rear quarters of the second larger animal.

    Just about finished the chores parked by the water and still with a steady stream of goats coming in to quench their thirst even with the wind blowing from us to them, they were that dry they did not care. Doug was at the back of the vehicle out of view finishing up when I calmly said “Doug get your bow” to which he replied “why what’s up”. I just pointed out to the tree line and we could clearly see a big mob coming in with a monster billy at the back with the tell tail sign of a big sway from side to side of his body from the weight of what adorned the top of his head. One Huge set of horns.

    So here we are with vehicle parked by the water on the east side of the dam, bad wind and goats at the water with more coming in. I quickly ascertained that we could not hide where we were so told Doug to get low and sneak by the water’s edge over to some reeds by the west of the dam and wait. In turn a few of the remaining goats scattered but slowly came back to water.

    Several minutes pass and the new mob starts arriving and straight away they spot the vehicle and stop, snort and stamp their feet in disgust. And then he arrives and he is huge and he starts down to the water’s edge, he is in the middle of the mob offering no shot when the mob spooks and turns and runs to stop at the top of the bank well out of range of Doug who waits at the ready. I could only imagine what Doug is thinking but I know better.

    He is 40 meters from me broadside staring me down as I contemplate having a crack at him. But I knew his thirst would overcome him and he would return to the water’s edge as he still has not had a drink, with the assurance of the remaining mob returning and some already drinking he struts his stuff just like I wrote the script right over to the far side of the dam away from the smell and danger that was me and his fallen comrade eaters for Doug. But alas.

    With every impending step he makes he is getting closer to the danger that was Doug whose heart must be pounding and ready to explode. And just like that my plan came to fruition as Doug came to full draw on the monster billy from 25 meters. The little muzzy zipped straight thru his chest in no time and he turned about face and bolted up the bank of the dam only to collapse atop of it 15 meters later.

    A very smile from the man.

    And the serious one.

    We were stoked to be able to get him and even more so I captured it on my tactacam video. I guessed him to be around 41 to 42 inches and this I secretly confirmed at 41.5 inches while Doug was away cleaning his arrow after he retrieved it down by the water’s edge.


    Then one of the funniest moments I have seen while hunting occurred. As you can imagine we were super excited and animated to get this one on the deck especially Doug. So, upon his return with his arrow he eagerly asks for a measurement of the spread and so I rummage thru my pack to find my tape, he he he. I set the tape up in my left hand on one tip and start to unravel it across the spread to the other tip while Doug looks on in anticipation impatiently like a little kid looking at a magic trick in awe and amazement.

    My oh my Doug looks down in astonishment and shock as the tape grows and grows past 40 inches, then past 41, then past 42 and 43 inches, little does he knows as his too excited and thrilled at the prospect of this monster billy that I am fudging the tape with my left hand while his to busy watching my right hand when all of a sudden I’m at 45.5 inches with a little horn left to go and he starts shaking and trembling with joy and then see’s my left hand fudging and then bursts out with tears of laughter and sadness all at the same time.

    At this point I know I’m busted and a huge cheeky grin washes over me and I start into a fit of laughter with a touch of hilarity thrown in as Doug sends down some profanities and some blasphemy my way. After I try to compose myself without trying to wet my pants I finally mumble out the words that he got his new PB at 41.5 inches and that “I got you like a boss mate”, sorry about that, not.

    With that he too starts in a fit of laughter as we both shared this great moment out west on a clay pan by the water laughing till our sides hurt and shaking hands to our wrists ached. It surely was a magical moment to share. The billies horns are in pristine condition as seen in the photos and now adorns Doug’s wall in a full skull mount. Well done mate.

    After many photos and the removing of the head we made our way back to camp with the eaters and put them in cool room and got the pot boiling so we get start the tedious tasks of cleaning the heads and boiling out the pig jaw. We then got a few things cleaned up around camp and loaded up the car to head off to another spot to check out on the property and camp for a night or two.

    Arriving at night we set up our fly camp and made some delicious seasoned chicken wraps for dinner. We then hit the hay for a well-earned rest for the following days hunt. Up before dark we set out to a dam where I was going to leave Doug and I then travelled a little further to another spot to wait out the arrival of the sun.

    Doug did not have too many critters come in other than a few small mobs of goats with nothing worthy of an arrow and some young pigs, he did have a lot of bird life and managed some very nice photos. I however had a better time of it many pigs seen coming into water but mostly sows with young, I lost count at around 40 odd pigs. But was also rewarded with many fine photos as well.

    It took an eternity but as I was glassing my surrounds I spotted what looked like a boar come out from the lignum and make his way towards the dam. During my stay here 95% of the pigs headed to one particular corner of the dam for a drink and a wallow, so I in turn left my spot and snuck into range of this corner before the boar arrived.

    Settling down behind some weeds as cover I waited patiently for his arrival but it did not go to plan as he went to another corner at around 40-45 meters from location. He nosed around a little and had a drink. Contemplating what to do, he soon made up my mind when a sow suddenly crested the bank and came down to my corner and then he too came over to investigate.

    So at 26 meters when he gave me the chance I put one thru the shoulders of the little boar. Immediately he looked crook was losing heaps of blood before he returned to the wallow and was soon going to collapse within it? So, I decided to give him a hurry up with another and he bolted up the bank only to collapse 10 meters later.

    I stayed put where I was in the hope of more game but only had some more sows and young come in and down to the main wallow. All of them smelt and ascertained what had gone on and quickly vacated the area so I quickly ran down grabbed both arrows and the boar and dragged him away. A few more sows and young came in and spooked and then most came in and were on edge but did not runaway. It was now late morning so I pulled up stumps and got photos of my boar and left to pick up Doug who informed me of his day.

    We did some reconnaissance while on this part of the property as I had not hunted it much before. After finding a very likely spot with several game trails we decided to vacate the vehicle and have a little walk about, it was lunchtime and any pigs would be bedded up and this proved to be the case when we spooked a mob from their beds, luckily for us they were only sows and slips so no harm was done.

    Walking back we happened on to a nice curly billy following a nanny around, Doug gave me his camera to take some action shots while he used the ample shade around us to close the distance in on the nanny and if all went to plan the billy would follow her up into range of Doug who waited arrow at the ready and fingers tensed on the string.

    And sure enough like clockwork the billy came into range and stood perfectly broadside at 15 meters and Doug did not disappoint with a well-placed arrow zipping thru the heart of the billy for him to bellow out and only make it another 10 meters before going down.

    After the horn removal and with the encouraging sign seen we decided to go for a little walk down the channel in the hope of finding some more goats and maybe a pig or two if we got lucky. We split up but within sight of one another and stalked along finding a few small family mobs which were left alone and then finding some water with plenty of sign. My stomach was growling so I beckoned Doug over and we waited in the shade downwind of the water in the hope something may come in for a drink while we waited.

    Some sows and young came in for a wallow at the far end of the water and a family mob of emu’s wandered in pretty close to us as we waited an filled our stomachs with nibble’s.

    We were rudely interrupted by some billys that decided that they wanted a drink. I spotted them from a distance and from where they were coming they would have reached the water out of range from us so I snuck off to ambush them as they came in water and my plan worked a treat. They were walking past me when I let out a soft bleat to pull them up and then released some carbon towards the bigger of the two only to agonisingly hit about an inch or two low of the ticker.

    The big fella bawled out and ran a few more meters and stopped, giving me a chance to range him at 37 meters I quickly loaded up another and it did not disappoint and smacked him thru the shoulders and his demise was very short lived 5 meters thereafter. So now we had a set each to carry out and so set forth the task of heading back to the vehicle.


    After the long trudge back and a nice cool drink to replenish some electrolytes and fluids I decided that we might pay a visit to another property I have access too as we were in the vicinity and I had lined it up previously with the owner.

    It was stinking hot so we went straight to a spot that I thought might produce a pig and sure enough it did as one was spied cooling off in the water. We had to go around the dam bank for the only approachable avenue to try and get him due to the terrain and ever present lignum. However this in turn had us out of view of him for several minutes and when we got into position he had disappeared.

    We scoured the neighbouring bushes but could not locate him so we went to inspect as we thought that he may have went up over the bank to some shady trees nearby. Just about at the last spot I seen him I was about to say to Doug that these pigs can hide anywhere in this thick lignum when I spotted him as he spotted us not 9 meters from us in buried deep in some bush.

    And “woaaff” he was outa here in a hurry, cursing our bad luck and just about to say that where there’s one there will be two another big boar erupts from his wallow even deeper within the confines of a lignum bush and heads for safer pastures. A few cranky words were exchanged following this brief interaction with the local swine population as you could imagine.

    We thought we would leave this place for a few hours and do some more scouting and return later to drop Doug off for the afternoon while I headed to a bore that had a small overflow of sorts, hopefully we would have a little more luck with the hogs. As it happened Doug had a cracking afternoon with a great big boar down after a lengthy stalk and an unfriendly encounter with the beast charging him a couple times with Doug getting treed to survive, but with balls of steel he persists and gets the job done. He also manages another right on dark just upon my arrival to pick him up.

    Doug informs me that he spotted the boar watering on the opposite bank and had to circle around and pop up over the bank for a shot. His subsequent shot was a touch high so he followed him up losing him in the thick lignum. Thinking quickly he climbed a tree not for the last time that afternoon and spotted him making his escape. He made ground on him and readied for a shot when the big beast charged and had him hastily scampering up a tree for cover.

    Descending quickly on the boar’s retreat he gets a lethal shot away at which the boar fires up again at Doug and Deja vu happens as he hastily scampers up the same tree again for cover. Feeling more like a koala bear rather than a hunter he stays put until the inevitable passing of the charging black beast transpires and it’s safe to descend.

    He gets some photos to remember the battle that they had and then removes the jaw as a trophy to reminisce about and tell stories of around his camp fire for many years to come. He started making his way back to the dam when he spots another boar coming to water in the rapidly fading light. He expertly gets into range using some trees and lignum and fires an arrow into the boiler room before hearing my vehicle approaching to pick him up, he backs out safely so as not to push the boar and moves over to our designated rendezvous point.

    He relays the story of the boar charges and his subsequent ending and then tells me of the second one just hit moments before my arrival. Not wanting to push his luck and me not blaming him with a few close calls under my belt recently we decide to come back in the morning and take up the trail.

    My afternoon entailed of a few family mobs coming in but catching my wind, with that I moved as I had a large watering point to cover and was rewarded with a good boar coming in but the 40 odd head of cattle soon put an end to that as I tried to close the distance in on the unsuspecting hog. However I did manage to catch a baby rabbit in my headlights on the way back to camp by diving at him as he tried to hide under a small hopbush, the fella was released unhurt after some photos.

    The next morning, we went to where I saw all the pigs the previous day as it was closer to where Doug’s boar was from that evening. Nothing however came in in the way of boars, they must be watering earlier in the night or coming in when the weather really heats up we surmised. We still stuck it out and got some awesome photos of our beautiful country in the pre-dawn and many photos of critters coming in to water.


  4. #4
    After a few hours and nothing worthy of an arrow we went to try and find Doug’s boar from the previous afternoon. Nearing the spot Doug points out the tree he was near when he shot (just in case he had to climb it I thought) and starts for that location, I however headed straight for the closest thickest patch of lignum near the shot sight, walked round a tree and spotted him stone dead in amongst some logs with two holes either side of the triangle, good shooting Doug, this one won’t charge ya I thought to my-self.

    After the mornings hunt and now the finding of Doug’s boar it was just past lunchtime so we had a quick nibble and then headed to another large dam that had a good tree line along side of a creek which provided many a hidey hole for a swine or two. We were lucky that we had two travel routes to this dam so I picked the best route given the current wind direction and started that way taking in the scenery as we travelled.

    Nearing the dam I made my over to the beginning of the tree line which was about 300 meters long and parked a little ways off, we geared up and started out to the very end of the tree line but were rail-roaded at 40 meters by a bedded hog laying atop of the bank catching some cool breeze alongside of a kangaroo doing the same.

    Looking thru my binos at the hog I could not tell the sex as it was quartering on and looking straight at us without much of a chance to gain some ground. I had my carbon element on song and was so full of confidence that I slowly loaded up an arrow, dialled in the G5 sight and drew back and settled the pin nicely on the front of the shoulder.

    Doug looks on in disbelief as my arrow launches out into orbit like a rocket before arching down like a missile on the objective and smacks the hog on point and punches thru the vitals and exits the short rib. The hog now known to be a sow when it erupts from its bed with the kangaroo doing the same run’s around in a short semi-circle and falls over not 15 meters from the impact zone. Sweet as.


    We walk over to where the sow was bedded talking about what just transpired and were a few meters short of the sow’s bed when I spot another unknown pig by about 8 meters to the left of where I shot the sow. I had an arsenal of arrows and so Doug motions me to have another crack and I oblige by knocking another, sneaking another meter or so and pick my spot as it is bedded facing away. And once again an arrow punches thru the vitals and a little boar springs to life but not for very long as makes his final charge to safety.


    Doug looks at me and says “you are an assassin Scotty, he who blackens the sky in a hail of arrows shall be rewarded with game aplenty”. We head over to the little boar for some photos and then return to the sow for the same. I was just moving the sow for a better photo when I looked at some nearby logs only 12 meters away and another mob of pigs were seen snoozing. How was beyond us with the previous exchanges just taking place and us talking and with bad wind to boot. It was only short-lived as I neared to put another away when 4-5 pigs exploded from their beds to safer ground.

    It was definitely Doug’s shot so we sneaked on down the tree line towards the dam, spying or putting up due to the wind at least 20-25 odd pigs on the remaining 250 meters left of the creek. However they were mainly sows with slips luckily. It was stinking hot and I was sure something would be on the water and their surely was as black and white boar was seen moving off towards some small tree’s on the east bank to bed down. I scoured the shade of the only sizable tree left and found another 8-10 pigs bedded with only a small mob boar spotted.

    With the wind blowing from east to west, the black and white fella the target but with him 50 meters the other side of the bedded pigs I instructed Doug to circle around to the south and then come straight up north on the boar for a shot. There was too much cover for the bedded hogs and so this plan would have Doug sneak in for the boar and then possibly his scent spooking the bedded hogs my way as I wait in ambush down wind.

    The plan worked perfectly but the pigs came out from their beds on the wrong side of the some small trees I had as cover. Not long after I heard the unmistakable thud of an arrow hitting swine with the big fella coming my way running along the water’s edge. He started his ascent up the embankment, stopped spun around a few times and fell back down amongst some foliage by the water.

    After removing the jaw and strapping it to my roof rack with some other trophy’s we headed over to another spot to check out a few more dams that have proved fruitful in the really hot weather in the past. Nearing one such spot some stock was seen watering from a distance so I shut slowed down to a stop and we watched on as they slowly moved off. It was very hot with my temp gauge reading 44 degrees. The wind was seen to pick up a little and from the dust from the stock seen I circled around to get an optimum wind.

    We soon stopped when a good boar was seen slowly making his way off the water. We tried to ambush him but the wind started its usual tricks down near the levees of the dam and was swirling around a bit and we lost sight of the boar as may have scented us and departed and so turned our attention to the water to see if anything was wallowing.

    And their sure was with a large family mob just making their way off to the north of the dam, a smaller mob still wallowing at the southwest corner and a beaut lone boar at the northwest corner. Game on and with radio’s on and wired for sound Doug stayed put at the south east corner while I approached the boar with the only avenue possible from the west after circling around out of view from all of the pigs using the dam bank as cover.

    I still had some issues with some cattle which got the big boars attention as Doug relayed me information of the boar’s movements. He was still wallowing but alert and looking to the west in my direction. I had the dam bank as cover but needed to crest it and get in range which would have me stand out like a sore thumb, but with him alert an all it was proving very difficult.

    All of a sudden his not happy and he ups from his wallow and starts to head south slowly, Doug informs me over the radio. With this I chance a peek and can see him moseying along about 30 meters away but I can only see his top half and he seems pretty wary from my observations.

    I duck down out of view load up an arrow and run south 30 odd meters out of sight from Doug and get very low and start a slight ascent up the bank stopping, drawing and then waiting. Pretty soon I see his bristles upon his back as he too started a slight ascent; I’m silhouetted with the sun behind me and he steps up higher for an investigation of this strange shape and squares up a little quartering on flaring his nostrils for any hint of danger.

    My heart is furiously pumping at this stage, all I have are his eyes and ears and a little of his back in view, he comes higher and more square on with another couple of steps in turn showing me more of his body and vitals. I’m thinking this could turn very ugly at 19 meters with not a tree in sight, but I have come this far and I do not want to go home empty handed. This is what we love, the passion, this sensation, that flow of emotion as the adrenalin ebbs and flows coursing thru your veins keeping your senses alert, attentive and focused even in the throngs of battle that we wage of death and danger apparent.

    I now have my 20 meter pin held tight on the front of his shoulder as he stares me down with anger and resentment. My pin is only half of an inch above the very top of the embankment which separates us at its peak. It’s locked in on the spot I’m burning my eyes thru and then the element speaks and my arrow covers the short distance smacking into the front of his right shoulder and exiting behind the last ribs of his off side.

    He is very hard hit and thankfully runs due west away from the danger that was me and heads for the brush line 100 meters away. Doug is on the radio asking what happened as he never seen me shoot when all of a sudden the big black beast hits the turf in a cloud of dust and dirt only 60 meters away. Doug is going “No way, this is insane” as I start dancing up a little jig of elation and joy at just what transpired. A true heart in your mouth, blood pumping, body shaking moment of hunting I will never forget.

    After photos and more congratulations I remove his jaw to the roof rack and we head down to another spot not too far away. This time the wind is all wrong and so my colarado turns into a tank and we make our own way to a road that will bring us to the west of our next hunting location.

    Gearing up in the extreme heat again but with a good vibe going on we start our way in. There are lots of trees here with plenty of shade for pigs to hide in and we soon spot a boar coming off the water to bed down not far away from a family mob. The wind is a bit finicky due to the terrain and he settles in but not before we check the water’s edge and see two loan boars snoozing in the water.

    Picking the largest boar Doug starts a sneak in on him using first the dam bank as cover and then some trees and shade and soon closes the distance to about 20 meters on him. His quartering away nicely on a slight downhill grade when he settles into anchor. His pretty hard to spot but Doug’s legs are visible in the left of screen.

    He cuts the shot off for a well-executed stalk and shot and all hell breaks loose as this thing goes ballistic grunting and roaring as it circles around and around looking for something to kill. I’m 50 odd meters away and I’m not game enough to breath let alone move. He soon starts to feel the ill effects of a razor sharp broad head and succumbs with a very short dash for cover. Meanwhile the other loan boar hearing this commotion has pulled stumps and departed and I don’t blame him.

    On seeing the departing boar and knowing Doug’s is down for the count I revert back to the first boar we seen and am glad to see that he is none the wiser and still resting. The family mob is up as they had come to water during Doug’s stalk and seen the shenanigans and the commotion that went on and luckily moved away from my target leaving just me and him.

    I glass him as he is deep within the confines of the shadows and leaves, I have soft dirt afoot and so make ground easily with a bit of a cross wind swirling around into 17 meters until I’m comfortable with the shot angle. I slowly draw back and hover the pin where I thought was the point to be and clipped off the release. He explodes from his slumber and straight away I know I hit a touch high, they sure can bed low and tight in the leaf litter making for some hard shots.

    I follow him intently as he departs up into some tree’s, he is hit hard but not to my liking. Lucky for me he has not cut my scent as I have seen in the past and he slows up about 150 meters in while I close in on him. I have many trees available if required for an escape but none are needed as I drill him with another from 25 meters putting him down for good. I then retreat to catch up with Doug and we relay to each other about our hunts before gathering some pictures of our respective boars.

    Strapping more hooks onto the roof rack, we moved over to one more area to check but lucked out in finding any more loan boars, we only came across some sows and young.

    We backtracked the way we came but had a good wind this time. The road we were following travelled alongside of a pretty large feeding flat so to gain some height for glassing I suggested to Doug to sit atop of my roof rack on our swags and we would go slow and hopefully spot something out feeding late in the afternoon.

    The only thing we spotted were some sows and a beautiful cloud formation assembling on the horizon so we stopped to take in the picturesque view and talk about the day’s events as we had one awesome day indeed with many a fine critter succumbing to our arrows.

    We had finished up in this neck of the woods so started the long trek back to base camp arriving well into the night at around 12am. Having a nice cool shower and a quick feed of some pasta fettuccini we hit the sack or I did as Doug had to stay up and sharpen some broad heads for the following days hunt, bless him. It is real hard hunting out here in the hot dry summer of western New South Wales. The temps hit 44+ degrees and the days are long hunting from 5am right up until 9pm of a night. That’s why I take a lot of arrows with me to save time and recuperate as best you can for the hunting days that are too follow.

    “Quick wake up Doug” I yell as my alarm did not go off and it was 5.30am. We were hunting separately and lucky for us we had our kits packed the night before. Doug was heading to the blind for the morning while I headed off to another area we had not hunted as yet. Wishing each other the best I hit the road and had my colarado thumping along like it was a rally car in the fink dessert race swerving and dodging the trees as they whizzed past me.

    Arriving at my hunting destination, I quickly set about gearing up and checking the wind before approaching a nice stand of trees that I would use as cover. Getting there was slow as some goats had already started coming to water, waiting patiently as they went out of view I ran to my stand of trees and started to peak up over the bank. I ended up taking two ripper critters in quick succession which I’ll elaborate on below which went down within view but I stayed put to capture some photos of some nice critters also seen.


  5. #5
    Back to my two rippers. Immediately I spotted a bachelor group of billies to my right about 40 meters away making their way down the bank towards the water, one definitely was a cracker and the remaining were pretty respectable. Another mob were seen coming over the bank to my left and they suddenly propped and looked down towards the water’s edge, what’s going on here I thought and crept a little higher for sticky beak.

    Ah it was only a small boar seen meandering along the water’s edge towards me. I had my bino’s up for a squiz as he approached me head on and holy hell I thought. Although he was a small boar he was old and scrawny and had a great set of chompers as evident from the lip curl seen. He came closer and turned at the corner of the dam and stopped broad side at 29 meters.

    What to do? I was at a cross roads with two potential trophy’s in view, do I try to shoot this one or do I try to shoot that one and then full of confidence and assurance I think F%#K it take both thank you and the bowhunting gods were on my side as I drew back the Hoyt carbon element and put my 30 meter pin on the triangle and let lose some carbon.

    The old boar let out a grunt and turned around and scampered up the bank and ran for cover to some nearby trees. These trees I took note of as he never came out of them and feeling assertive of my shot I turned my attention onto the billy’s making their way away from the water.


    Now focused on my new target I loaded up another axis arrow and backed down the dam bank a little way to utilise a large tree as cover and slowly closed the gap by around 10 meters keeping the big billy out of view while I did this. Just booming with excitement of the prospect of getting the job done on him I range the billy swiftly and pull back to anchor no longer than 2 minutes and 34 seconds from the previous shot on the boar.

    I step out away from my cover and the billy turns and takes a few steps to catch up to his mates, I let out a bleat and it grabs his attention and he stops broadside at 35 meters giving me the perfect shot opportunity and I take it. Wham my arrows smacks thru his shoulders on the money. He moves away several meters and I close in with another ready if required but the ill effects of a razor sharp head have him get the wobbles and he stumbles falling flat on his face and is soon forever mine.


    Man I am pumped, I return to my stand where my pack is and recollect of what just occurred. These last few minutes have been so surreal and dreamlike that I need to more than pinch myself; I need to give myself an uppercut to wake from this deep slumber I’m enriched in. But no this did happen and it happened to me, I’m am forever grateful and show much appreciation for the animals that I just hunted and get many photo’s to showcase this gratitude.

    After the photos I move the trophy’s together in the shade for a fitting photo together and make my way back to where Doug is situated. I can see he is not at the dam so wait near his vehicle and call him on the radio periodically. It is near lunch time and is really stinking hot. I was just leaving after what seemed like an eternity and started my ute and drove off 30 meters and then happened to see in my rear view mirror Doug making his way towards me in his final charge as if he had just walked the Simpson dessert.

    He looked beat and soon washed down some cool refreshments from my fridge before it occurred to him, why is Scott here? What did you get? Tell me? Come on? And I gave him nothing not even a smile just a look that said follow me. He pestered me all the way back to my hunting ground until I turned around a big shady tree and he laid eyes upon the critters that had fallen to the assassin’s arrows.

    His eyes lit up and a huge smile swept over the both of us as we jumped from the car and shook hands in congratulations. I then gave him a rundown of how it all went down. We got some more photos of the two before I started to remove the jaw and the horns to take back to camp.

    Once we arrive back at camp we start to do some chores in boiling out some heads etc. and attending to the two little eaters in the cool room while we have the chance. I take a quick shower and start on making some lunch while Doug breaks down the eaters. It is the first lunch we had thus in the trip and it surely was divine.

    Later in the afternoon we separate again with Doug heading to a spot he found on his walk during the morning and I head to another area to check a dam. I wait in ambush by some trees downwind of a rather large area to occupy. I’m pretty contempt for the day’s effort and take in the scenery and the wild life. Only a small mob of pigs came in with no boars, but a large contingent of local fauna came in and I readily snapped up some photos of them.


  6. #6
    After Dark I pack up and start my way back to camp meeting up with Doug and relaying to each other about today’s events and what happened on our hunts that afternoon.

    The next day is also going to be scorcher heat wise as well. Doug is keen to do some digiscoping from the blind before we pack it up, so I head out to the dam where I was the previous day. This time arriving well in advance of the critters, I pick a single tree to give me cover as I wait in the shadows of it for some game to arrive.

    Many fine specimens of the great billy goat arrive and depart under my observation. I capture some great footage on my tactcam of some remarkable future trophies. I contemplated having a go at some and drew back once or twice on animals I thought to be close to that magical 40 inch mark but either did not get a shot due to their movements or others down range of my targets and so let down.

    Waiting patiently, I look out towards the west and see 5-6 good billies materialise from the surrounding hopbush and at the back of the small bachelor mob is a great head seen tipping from side to side with each step, he truly looked like a monster and so I focused on him as my target. Still a ways off I anticipate where they will go to water given the direction that they were coming from so I quickly sneak to another tree and hope that they pass nearby.

    The billies pop up over the bank and look to go over to the far side before one of the billy’s made up the mob’s mind and started down the bank in a trot to my side and so the rest followed suit. There were 6 animals and all stopped within range except my target which was a real high horned specimen with a great twist, he continued on out of range and started to take his fill of the precious water source.

    Meanwhile several more mobs have encroached on the dam and are starting to scatter all around me, some catching my scent now and then and get a little restless, I dare not move and before long they start moving on and begin to water. For the interim my target drinks and drinks and still drinks some more, he came in one foot wide and went out three I’m sure.
    The remaining goats all get their fill and some more filter on past my hiding spot coming from the east before heading out west on the direction that the bachelor mob came in on. Still my billy drinks and is soon the last one left. Knowing that he will follow suit with the goats that have just left, I ready for a shot as I know he will come past my position at around 25 meters.

    All of a sudden his finished and starts his retreat, the fingers tense on the string and my heart starts up a few beats quicker as he nears my position when the element rolls over hitting the back wall nicely, his smart and senses some sort of presence and trots, seeing this I try to stop him with some bleats and an “oiy” as if stopping a fox, he slows down to a walk but does not look like stopping.

    Thinking he may walk out of range and try to catch up to the mob I lead a little and clip the shot off before he is too far away. The shot was good but as he had nearly drank the dam dry his lungs would have been pushed up high and forward. He is hit hard and makes a short distance before setting down. I range him as he sits quartering away at 40 meters. I dial in the G5 to suit and hover the pin nicely over the last rib and send one down the line.

    He gets to his feet and moves a few meters, I contemplate another but I’m very sure of my shot placement and then the wobbles start and he falls to the ground. I am truly wrapped with getting this fine billy and many a photo to show him off as proud as can to give him justice. He ended up going 39 7/8 in spread for a score of 121 6/8. A magnificent trophy.

    While the hunt was taking place on old high horn another very respectable black billy was spotted coming to water and went to the far side to water. At the demise of the white high horned billy the goats on the far side started to depart to the north slowly. Seeing this and with some cover from the dam bank and some trees to the north of the dam I backtracked around and started at a brisk pace to gain some ground in the hope of getting a shot.

    As a consequence of this the goats out to the west would see me and they started off at a brisk pace as well. Soon the goats on the north spotted the goats leaving west and they too started to move quicker. With that and nearing the cover of the hopbush I ran to make up some ground until I started to see some goats moving thru the scrub a few hundred meters from the dam along a game pad that happened to cross a small clearing.

    Noticing some other billy’s seen with the black one making their way along this pad I ranged them and sure enough the black one soon showed himself ambling along behind in last place similar to the high horned one. With arrow on the string and my heart beating from my mad dash thru the scrub, throw in a little adrenalin, I started to have a few shakes as I thru the Hoyt up hastily and stopped the billy on the spot with a bleat.

    Instantly my arrow was gone in a flash and instantly I knew it was a touch low but on line. He gets up to a gallop just as quickly as I load up another arrow and follow behind like a hound dog. I gain some ground and soon find him and stopped. I draw back and move around a bush and find him quartering away looking back at 15 metres. Wham my arrow darts out smashing straight thru his chest, he runs and makes another 20 meters and goes down. How good is that, two great goats down in the space of 10 minutes with this one going 39 5/8 of an inch in spread.


    I to then show great respect again and get many a fine photo before removing the horns and making my way back to camp. I was quite pleased with the morning’s effort in securing two great trophies. Once back at camp I start doing some odd jobs here and there while waiting for Doug to return and begin cleaning the heads and start to boil them out.

    Not long into this I hear Doug making his way back and he too had had a successful day in the taking of a fine trophy billy.

    We have a nice lunch and tidy up a few things as we are leaving the following day, but not before a final attempt at getting some more bacon at another great spot that we had not yet hunted. Some clouds were building up and it was scheduled for some rain that night. The weather made it as muggy as hell which should have the pigs hitting the water to cool off.

    There was a good westerly wind as we made our way closer to a creek system that held some water in it. I made the colarado into a tank again and forged our way in to save our legs as it had been a tolling week on the body with very long days in the saddle doing what we love, but I would not have it any other way.

    The creeks weaved from east to west so starting at the most eastern point we split up to take a side each and started the hunt. At the very first puddle of water a great lone boar was seen snoozing in the cool mud. It was decided to let Doug have a crack, while I stayed put on my side and watched and took some photos of the action from around 50 meters away. Doug below is on the far left and the boar in the water in the creek in the right of the shot.

    He expertly circled around to the south and came down a little feeder creek which gave him cover and provided a good shot angle into the boars chest which was laying on his left side facing in my direction. Using a tree as cover he moved into position to around 22 meters and drew back his Hoyt and put the pin low down on his brisket and clipped off the shot.

    Well low and behold and not as expected this boar comes to life real quick (that part was expected) and starts down the creek on the dam bank that I was upon (not expected). So here I am bow a few meters away standing on a game pad that this black brute beast of a boar that just woke up really cranky and mad was streaming down on coming my way in a cloud of dust and debris.

    Hell what am I going to do; I have recently been charged twice on previous trips and soon wish that I could fly, man I did not even arrow this one, thanks Doug, but I am in the firing line like a ten pin bowl with this the pig the ball about to strike me down. Soon his at 30 meters, then 20, 10 meters looms up real fast; I’m still stunned, not even clicking the camera in hand thinking this is not happening to me again.

    Right at the last second or should I say meter or two we are both still on the exact same pad when I leap left and thankfully he goes right (note to self: buy lotto ticket once home). He makes another 15 meters and hits the deck and I too sit down to settle the nerves and wait for our tormentor Doug to arrive.

    He is a cracking boar and with a good set of teeth that luckily did not get to taste my flesh. Thanks again Doug for that and well a fine pig.

    We get his jaw and continue on and only a few hundred meters up at a bend in the creek Doug informs me over the radio of another boar down in the water cooling off. I don’t have him spotted because of the contour of the land but with some land marks pointed out to sneak towards I start slowly moving in while Doug watches on.

    This area is littered with leaves sounding like corn flakes as I walk so with time on my side I unwearyingly and glacially wait for the wind and only advance when it blows to assist in drowning out any noise from my approach. Slowly but surely I make up ground until I spot him down by the water’s edge. I glass him at 19 meters to pick a spot to hit and noticed a small clog of dirt indicating where I would like my arrow to enter.

    A step or two more to clear a log and I activate the powers of the Hoyt behind the cover of a gum tree in drawing back and stepping out. I put the pin low down on the clog of dirt and touch off the shot. Smack the arrows punches thru both shoulders and he jumps up dead on his feet and scrambles thru the water only to collapse 25 odd meters right in front of Doug.


    After photos we continue on but have no luck as a small shower starts so we make our way back to base camp when it starts to rain more heavily and sets in. Confined to camp as it is not a good place to get stuck in out west and not wanting to mess up any roads we tidy up and settle in to watch and listen as the rains streams down in sheets of water. I was really pleasant to listen to and a very good atmosphere to sit and talk and reminisce about this last week of hunting.

    The day broke clear with the sun shining and the birds chirping. Doug went back to his dam to walk a creek line in the hope of finding some game and ending up arrowing a good billy as he skirted around some hopbush and timber and then walked smack bang into a billy feeding. Ever so gently loading up an arrow at close distance he puts one in the zone and the billy goes down within sight for an easy trail.

    I on the other hand went to try and get to my hunting destination only to find myself and the colarado skidding about on a clay pan like an octopus trying to ice skate. It looked alright to travel on but it sure wasn’t so I back tracked and went the long way along around. I walked a creek for a while in the hope of finding some game and then returned to and checked the dam but as expected had no luck other than a pelican that proved very hard to get a nice photo off.

    The conclusion
    With this I stayed put with weary legs and heavy eyes, I sat down to ponder about this last week of hunting. I went back thru my thoughts thinking of the stalks and of the game taken, the mateship shared with good people of the same attributes and qualities that I like to attain to myself. I looked upon the serenity and tranquillity of the Australian bush with its beauty and wonder aplenty. We truly are a blessed nation to live in such a place and to have the hunting opportunities that we do.

    The spoils of one great weeks hunting.

    While the week was filled with excitement, exhilaration and enjoyment about what had transpired with the game hunted and taken. I am just as happy to hunt with a camera and did this last time to try and get a fitting photo of that pelican floating on the water in its entire splendour and elegance.

    I hope you enjoyed that as much as I did.


  7. #7
    There goes my lunch break. Epic write up mate that's awesome.
  8. Magilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Port Macquarie
    Truly awesome hunt Scotty with some great trophies taken, thanks for sharing the week with us mate.
  9. #9
    Well done Scotty! Some quality animals there mate, always enjoy reading about your adventures!
  10. #10
    Now that's a write up dude, top effort on all fronts, thanks for taking the time and effort to put a novel together like that. I doffs me lid.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts