Hoyt Archery
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bareshaft or fletched through paper , Mathews chill r

Need some advice,

Running a chill r at 70 @26 DL , 75% Rock mods.. Right hand shooter.. Centre shot set at 11/16, timing spot on, bow in spec.. Smack down pro limb driven rest. After losing a few arrows, I fletched up my axis 340s..

Cut to 26.7 made three arrows

100gr FP with 75 brass
    100 gr with 50 Brass
    100 gr with 25 brass

Shot through paper at 5 meters and was getting 3 inch left tear, dropped to the lightest 100 gr with 25 brass, still left 1 inch tear.. Dropped poundage to 66 , almost spot on, 5 mm left tear.. Went back to 10 meters, 2 inch left tear..
    Moved rest towards bow, left tear got worse, moved rest to left , left tear got smaller, ( which is opposite to what the charts say ) but getting to about 15/16 centre shot.. No marks on the fletchs.
    I can't believe these shafts are weak, tomorrow I am going to start cutting 1/8 inch of the back of the shaft to see what happens.. Also shoot a bare shaft through and see what I get..

I am shooting a low grip on the focus grip, my first Mathews, can bullet hole with my bear and a prime...

Anyone have any thoughts on this, been reading that the chill r likes a stiffer spine, but archery advantage has my spine spot on..

Thanks in advance.
    Motive 7 & Chill R

TR React Pro

Naptyme arrow shafts

VEGETARIAN. - Ancient tribal slang for village idiot that can't hunt or fish.

When you say left tear.. you mean point left.. correct ?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    -= The Matter is Void =-
    If you shoot through paper be no more than 1 meter away - any further and the fletches start to steer the arrow. Also for 70# Id prefer 300s.
    2014 PSE DNA SP - 65#
    2015 PSE Full Throttle - 64#
    Martin Mamba Recurve - 50#
    Bear Kodiak Magnum 50th Anniversary #55
    No, point hitting right, nock tearing left..
    Motive 7 & Chill R

TR React Pro

Naptyme arrow shafts

Something is seriously wrong with the bow, it has nothing to do with the arrow's spine, 340's will tune perfectly through your bow at any length.
    Moving your rest closer to the bow should improve a left tear as you say but a 3" tear is massive and would usually indicate fletch contact. It might be worth taking your bow to a good bow tuner, if you have no problems getting good arrow flight from your other bows it is most probably a bow problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magilla View Post
    Something is seriously wrong with the bow, it has nothing to do with the arrow's spine, 340's will tune perfectly through your bow at any length.
    Moving your rest closer to the bow should improve a left tear as you say but a 3" tear is massive and would usually indicate fletch contact. It might be worth taking your bow to a good bow tuner, if you have no problems getting good arrow flight from your other bows it is most probably a bow problem.
    I have tuned a heap of bows from scratch.. i will put a bare shaft through tonight to rule out fletch contact.. it is very strange.. have had issues tuning the chill since i got it.. mt closest shop is 3 hours away. But worse comes to worse, i will get it checked.
    Motive 7 & Chill R

TR React Pro

Naptyme arrow shafts

Your results might indicate a weak spine. Remember the spine charts work with 100 or 125 grains at the front of the arrow with a normal light insert, not weighted inserts. I presume you took that into account.

Paper tuning with fletches will give best results at about 2 paces. Then the fletching will start to correct the tail and swing it over to the other side until it settles. So being further from the paper, the tail can already be swung over to the opposite side of how it left the bow.

With bare shaft tuning, the tail will keep on swinging out. So shoot one fletched arrow into the butt at about 5-10m and then shoot a bare shaft next to it. Compare the angle in the butt of the two shafts. The bare shaft gives you a good indication how the arrow leaves the bow when it is not corrected by the fletching. I've switched to bare shaft tuning long ago. If you can shoot a bare shaft straight at 20m plus, your arrows are leaving your bow pretty straight!
    Bowtech Reign 6 & Experience
    600 grain Arrows

Not getting contact on your cables are you ?
    I had serious problems with blazers doing that.

-= The Matter is Void =-
    Agree with Guardian - but the angle of the arrow into the butt can also be dictated by the medium of the target - eg hard v soft. When bare shafting as suggested I care not about the angle of the bare shaft arrows in the target - more so the placement - if I can get a bare shaft to smack next to or hit a fletched at 20m I'm good to go and I know they are flying true - and I know that generally my broad heads will also fly well ...good luck

BTW if you really want to know if its a spine issue...wack on a WB rest..they are by far the easiest to tune to shoot bullet holes. If you can shoot bullets with a WB then you know its not the arrows
    Last edited by Johnno; 17th April 2018 at 10:56 AM.
    2014 PSE DNA SP - 65#
    2015 PSE Full Throttle - 64#
    Martin Mamba Recurve - 50#
    Bear Kodiak Magnum 50th Anniversary #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragarach View Post
    Not getting contact on your cables are you ?
    I had serious problems with blazers doing that.

Cable contact is the main cause of unexpected left tears, especially large ones.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast