Bowhunting Downunder

Thread: Carp or crap?

Carp or crap?

Curious to know if anyone has cooked and tasted carp?
    With the group hunt coming up and possibility of catching a few carp, thought it might be worth a try, just to say I've done it.
    crap x 2! Kind of reddish flesh with bones in all sorts of weird places through the fillets.
    Actually not the worst fish I've eaten. That goes to silver perch and weedy whiting

Carp or crap?

Carp can be all right - not great but definitely edible - if you catch it, bleed it and get it on ice asap. It can actually be quite good if you keep it alive in a bathtub for a few days and purge it by changing the water each day.

Jesse.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
    The rose petal floats on water. The kingfisher flashes above the pond. Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death - Robert Jordan.
    Pete, I'd second Silver Perch for tasting like sh!t although I did make the fatal mistake once (and once only) of cooking and eating Leathery Grunter. Hot tip, don't ever do it lol.
    Jesse, thanks for the tip. I might have to give it a go if I hook up on one.
    Cheers gents
    Quote Originally Posted by Saromango View Post
    Carp can be all right - not great but definitely edible - if you catch it, bleed it and get it on ice asap. It can actually be quite good if you keep it alive in a bathtub for a few days and purge it by changing the water each day.

Jesse.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
    Also have a mate that did this. Bit of effort but pretty good.

Matt
    Too many bones, but salted up enough carp taste ok.
    The cleaner the water the better they taste. Don't gut it, just take the meat off the back (like backstraping a pig), get the skin off and cut away any bloodline. Keep the meat clean (don't roll it around in the stink from the outside of the fish while you process it, and don't get that slime that is all over your hands on the meat) and you might be surprised at how good it can be. If there are any other fish there you can eat you will probably find carp is behind them, but when you are in the middle of nowhere and want a feed they will do the job. I stirfry it of make a curry.
    I think I’d rather eat my work boots then try carp again.