Arrowhead Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

For the love of snags

Now that I have a reasonable selection of heads in my man cave, I am a little more choosy now days of that which I shoot, hunting for trophies is still a priority, however most of the time there isn't a lot to choose from that is better than my existing collection.

My mate Pasco is still building his collection, so most times I give him the chance at the trophy. For a long time now I have been taking meat home cooking it on the spit, BBQ, oven and stove top and of course for the dogs. A couple of years ago I bought a mincer and a sausage press and almost all the meat now goes into snags.

So as per usual I gave Pasco the first go and he went and shot the best billy out of the mob and a nanny as well. The goats hadn't moved very far away so he called me over and I shot what I thought was a larger nanny but turned out to be a young billy, and after that the rest were gone.

Pascoe got a heap of pictures with his billy and I started carving up. Both back and front legs and the back fillets were donated to me by the goats. I take the leg bones for the dogs to chew on and the rest goes into the sausage maker.

Pasco's billy

The snag goats

Legs, back fillets and head off

A very heavy pack for the journey back to the car

All the meat minced and flavoured

Yummy goat sausages

Bagged up and ready for the freezer

Hunting.....FOR THE LOVE OF SNAGS!

Randal
    Very nice Randal. I have been making some wild game sausages too, latest batch was venison and wild pork, Italian style. Very nice.

What spices are you adding to the mince and what kind of fat? Also, what casings do you use?

Cheers,
    Steve.
    The slothful man roasteth not that which he took in hunting: but the substance of a diligent man is precious.
    Proverbs 12:27
    They look yummy Randal. Would you mind sharing your recipe?

I’ve made a few batches of snags over recent years but I haven’t got it right and they end up going to the dogs. Meat to fat ratio is something I feel I’m getting wrong as they end up too dry and meaty.

For the love of snags

Now that is a reason to hunt.
    Doing burger mince as well ?
    I'm almost out! Hopefully snag something down home during school holiday!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    -= The Matter is Void =-
    awesome, can you post your favourite recipes to make snags?
    I recently made some out of a rusa stag and they were far too dry and dull
    Awesome stuff Randal, how does the goat meat go in the snags & do you have to add fat ?
    I recommend you guys take a look at Huon distributors, I buy all my sausage making flavours through them. I'm in Port Macquarie & they get it to me in 2days. I've only used venison & pork fat at 70/30 ratios so far & tried about 15 of the flavours they offer.
    There's instructions on the packet which makes life heaps easier, as you have to invest a day in the process & it's nice to get them right if your making 40kg at a time. A 1kg pack of flavour makes 12kg of snags, they're around $10 each plus postage.
    I highly recommend Texan chilli, Herb & Garlic, or Tomato & Onion for a first try.
    Ok recipe as follows

-Ratio meat to fat: 7kg meat from the forest, 3kg pig fat from a deli/butcher who will part with it.

-Minced meat and fat through the 10mm plate and keeping the meat/fat at a consistent ratio whilst mincing. Keeping everything cold helps the meat mix with the fat better that coating the meat with fat.

In a seperate bowl I mix sausage meal that I get from the local butcher at 100gms per kg

4 table spoons of sweet paprika

4 table spoons of chinese all spice

2 table spoons of nutmeg

1 full head of garlic

1 table spoon of pepper

100 mls of water per kg of meat

For a little bit of a zing but not hot I add a bottle of this capsicum paste

Mix all of that together and put it into the fridge over night

Next day mince it again through the 6mm plate. Before I stuff all the mixture into the casings I cook some paddies to check the flavour, then stuff the mix into natural (pig gut) casings, that I also get at the local butcher.

And walla. Beautiful home made snags that taste great.
    Very nice Randal. I have been making some wild game sausages too, latest batch was venison and wild pork, Italian style. Very nice.

What spices are you adding to the mince and what kind of fat? Also, what casings do you use?

Cheers,
    Steve.

Hey Steve,

Put up a list of ingredients and instructions. Get the meal and natural casings from my local butcher. ‘Meats a treat’ in Crookwell a bit west of Goulburn NSW

Luke

They look yummy Randal. Would you mind sharing your recipe?

I’ve made a few batches of snags over recent years but I haven’t got it right and they end up going to the dogs. Meat to fat ratio is something I feel I’m getting wrong as they end up too dry and meaty.

Hey Luke,

I started that way, going blind and it took a bit of work getting the tricks out of the butchers. The sausage meal and water makes all the difference, 70-30 meat to fat is also the key.

Fraga

Now that is a reason to hunt.
    Doing burger mince as well ?
    I'm almost out! Hopefully snag something down home during school holiday!

Yea mate, anything left over gets turned into paddies, egg then crumbs twice, and then fried on the BBQ.

Dean
    awesome, can you post your favourite recipes to make snags?
    I recently made some out of a rusa stag and they were far too dry and dull

Hey Dean,

Need a bit more fat and a few spices, also the sausage meal and water, deer and goat is lean so you need the fat to make it a bit better.

Sam
    Awesome stuff Randal, how does the goat meat go in the snags & do you have to add fat ?
    I recommend you guys take a look at Huon distributors, I buy all my sausage making flavours through them. I'm in Port Macquarie & they get it to me in 2days. I've only used venison & pork fat at 70/30 ratios so far & tried about 15 of the flavours they offer.
    There's instructions on the packet which makes life heaps easier, as you have to invest a day in the process & it's nice to get them right if your making 40kg at a time. A 1kg pack of flavour makes 12kg of snags, they're around $10 each plus postage.
    I highly recommend Texan chilli, Herb & Garlic, or Tomato & Onion for a first try.

Hey Sam,

Looked at that site and there is a great bit of stuff there

Randal
    Great post Randal. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I haven’t used the sausage premix before and I’d say that is a key ingredient! Might explain why my snags were sh!t.
    Cheers for the write up bud, keen to try it.
    Live Forever Or Die Trying.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast