Hoyt Archery
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Knifes

Newbie Knifes

Little story about my first serious attempt at some knifes.

I was asked by my 2nd boy aged 7 "can you make a knife?"
    which I answered "yeah sure"
    him "can you make me a knife"?
    Me "yeah sure"
    at the end of the conversation somehow a date was set on the calendar for me to start making a knife for both boys.

The months got closer to the June date, I was doing all I could to rub off his writing on the calendar with no luck, so I resigned to the fact that I would have to make a start.
    The plan was to use files, but I got some sound advise by Kimall to use known steel to begin with.

Little did I know that there is a lot involved in turning a steel blank into something worn on your belt.

I started with 2 90mm blade, 1075 steel, 4.3mm thick pairing knife blanks from Gameco, I had to add a bit on the back of each handle for the pommel. I was looking for a bushcraft style knife.

Lots of reading and watching youtube, then testing out stitches, acid etching etc and 3 weeks later I have 2 knifes that I thought I would share.

I would be guessing that each knife took me at least 10 hours each and cost close to $50 in materials alone.
    After spending so much time with these "small" knifes I am wondering if the knife I carry is to big.

Of course some obligatory photos taken in the garden.

Last edited by parkerperson; 11th July 2018 at 09:22 PM. Reason: bad spelling...
    Good work mate makes you SUPER DAD now I think. The sheaths are bloody fantastic work..
    Cheers KIM
    Nice, and I've got to agree the sheaths look great
    Stalker stickbow coyote schleyer classic
    Elite energy 35
    Impulse 34
    Awesome work something the kids will cherish forever
    Pse carbon air stealth
    Prime one stx39
    Javaman Elkhart 56" 2pc 71@29
    Javaman helms deep 56" 2pc 70@29
    Montana bows pika 54" 2pc 55@29
    made his day i bet, great work
    Live Forever Or Die Trying.
    They look great mate, much better than just buying them something
    If you don't do it, you won't do it, and if at first you don't succeed, it's more than likely because you're crap at it.
    Thanks guys

Bit of a learning curve, I reshaped the blade bevel 3 times before I was happy, when I went to put on the lansky sharpening kit at 25' it would touch half way up the blade with the first convex shape I cut, ended up with a V straight. Glad I tested this before hardening.
    Next time I will be drilling out some material from the tang to reduce some weight.
    I started with a bench grinder and linisher, but the best tool I found was a half round file and a rasp for the timber.

I think it could become somewhat addictive, I have been looking into building a knife forge, I borrowed a friend of a friends forge to heat treat them and Im thinking about making more knifes in the future.

Had the kids sharpen every pencil in the house, cleaving saplings etc, no doubt there will be some fingers cut, so I will keep a good stock of bandaids.
    Last edited by parkerperson; 14th July 2018 at 09:25 PM.
    Excellent work Clinton. Gets me inspired.

Matt
    Look the goods mate..nice work
    hunting the new england
    They’re awesome,much better than an Xbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast