Apex Archery
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Archery coaching?

I've been shooting for a couple of years now and am grouping reasonably well. Well, well enough that I feel I could ethically put a dart in an animal out to 20ish meters. I still feel as though there is huge scope for improvement.

So pretty much...

I'm interested in looking for a coach and I'm curious if anyone has experience with coaches, or thoughts on it. A big consideration for me is that i want to bow hunt and I'm a mostly instinctive shot. Most clubs around me are target clubs.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Matt
    Hi Matt - may help if you indicate where you're located.
    2014 PSE DNA SP - 65#
    2015 PSE Full Throttle - 64#
    Martin Mamba Recurve - 50#
    Bear Kodiak Magnum 50th Anniversary #55
    Ah true Johnno. I'm in Victoria, most frequently Melbourne. Asides from looking for a coach I'm also keen to hear positive/negative experiences from trad/instinctive/bowhunters than have had coaching.

Archery coaching?

Eliza archery or whatever in melb is always advertising coaching.
    Dont know anyone who has actually tried them tho.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    -= The Matter is Void =-
    My only thoughts on coaching is that you need a Trad shooter to coach you in shooting a trad bow for hunting.
    I dont think I have ever shot an animal standing straight up with a straight bow as the coaches will try to teach you.
    I have shot more kneeling..never seen that in the coaching books.
    Cheers KIM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimall View Post
    My only thoughts on coaching is that you need a Trad shooter to coach you in shooting a trad bow for hunting.
    I dont think I have ever shot an animal standing straight up with a straight bow as the coaches will try to teach you.
    I have shot more kneeling..never seen that in the coaching books.
    Cheers KIM
    That's a reason I'm quite apprehensive about approaching target clubs.

Chers
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragarach View Post
    Eliza archery or whatever in melb is always advertising coaching.
    Dont know anyone who has actually tried them tho.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Might give them a bell and have a yarn, browsed the website, owner is an Olympic archer
    Nah olympic archer not a bowhunter, Matt believe me when I say it is all get your form consistant and practice practice practice. You have to shoot the limbs off it, sleep with it and own it if you want to be instinctive. Next tip is this you will never hit where you want everytime period so you have to accept that fact. Shooting game instinctive yes there will be issues but thats life and after all these years there is no coach that can teach bowhunting instinctively with your bow and your style. Time behind the riser and focus mate focus.

Sneak
    Stick, String and Sharp Things what could possibly go wrong?

Sneak, Sneak, Sneak, Whack!!!

RUN BOY RUN UPA TREE UPA TREE!!!!
    Well said Darren - fully agree !!
    2014 PSE DNA SP - 65#
    2015 PSE Full Throttle - 64#
    Martin Mamba Recurve - 50#
    Bear Kodiak Magnum 50th Anniversary #55
    Hi Wightamus
    Where are you in Melbourne as I live in western Melbourne and am a member of an ABA club there. I have shot and hunted with only traditional bows for over twenty years , I'm not an archery coach but there is plenty I can show you that I have learnt over the years.
    Matt
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast