Arrowhead Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Of pink chaps and goats

Hey guys. Here is the story of my first goat that I got a few weeks back. Sorry, in my typical style it ended up being a lot longer than what I inteded. I've spread it across a few posts so I can put the photos in the right spots

I was recently invited to hunt for goats up near Mudgee with member Daktari/Keith (as if he hadn't been generous enough!). Jumped at the chance as I haven't gotten out hunting in over 5 years and yet to personally bag anything bigger than a rabbit.

Got to the property and got fire cranking and set about waiting for the landowner to rock up. Being told that the landowner would be letting us into the "humpy" we didn't take any sleeping gear apart from sleeping bag. We sat around a bit more. We cooked dinner. Keith tried calling the landowner again. We drank coffee. We talked. We waited some more......Until we just decided to go to bed. Keith slept in the car, but I wasn't even going to bother trying to fit into there to sleep. I found a nice piece of astroturf that folded double would insulate me from the ground a little and found a flat bit of concrete under an awning. Waking in the morning I was glad I went under the awning as there was ice everywhere.....it was only meant to be about 4c.

The next morning we headed out around the low areas near the creek. In the past Keith had seen all his goats in this area but this time we saw nothing. Some relatively recent sign, but nothing overly fresh.

A bit bummed, we headed back to camp when the landowner rocked up. He'd had some dramas that kept him home the previous night, but we had keys now!! Open up the humpy and the beds are gone....with one double bed in the caravan attached. After hearing stories from Assassin Mick on here about his experiences with Keith, I thought the safest option was to just let him have the bed to himself and I would have to stick with the astroturf, but this time supplemented with a blanket underneath-ahh the luxury!

I worked the other side of the creek that afternoon for nothing again, apart from spooking a few wallabies and kangaroos.

IMG_20180811_105638.jpg
    Old cottage

IMG_20180811_152335.jpg
    Historic mine works. 1800's I think according to Keith. Apparently they redirected water for their workings, and this would also be tailings here from the shafts and diggings

I had glassed a few animals up the top of a hill that was a few km away (and a km up it seemed by looking at it!). Bit hard to make out what they were exactly, but I assumed they were goats. I figured that maybe working the higher areas closer to camp might pay off in case they were staying up high. So the next morning I headed up high behind camp, following the boundary fence.

IMG_20180812_083557.jpg
    We saw our first goats here-right up the top. I was tempted to go after them, but wanted to try closer first

I found the ground followed a series of spurs and gulleys, and I was working up the first spur and then would be heading west following the boundary. Slow going working along and glassing everywhere before I walked there. Wasn't seeing much as I worked down into the first gulley, except for a lot of roo's and wallabies that I was spooking before I had even noticed them. Obviously needed to work on that area. Slow going into the second gulley, still seeing nothing and still spooking the natives. Slowly realising the same mistakes I remembered making when I was able to hunt deer-not being fully aware of everything before I got there, meaning I was often given away by something off to the side or just not paying enough attention.

With this in mind I was crossing the peak and looking down into the third gulley. This area was a lot more vegetated, and was a little protected from the strong, cold westerly blowing. Glassing along there I noticed a kangaroo or wallaby, determined this time not to make the same mistakes of being given away by the natives before I got to them. Sat there glassing him for a while, and just looking around..........and then I noticed I was actually looking at goats! Not sure how I missed them, but shows the usefulness of the bino's once again. The small mob of what seemed to be 2 nannies, a billy, and a few kids were on the other side of the gulley, about 150m away.

Watched them for a while, and they seemed to be slowly working up the gulley, staying halfway down the other face. I figured my best option was trying to get up the gulley more, and cross and work back down the other spur and try and get in above them, where I would have more cover. I was pretty exposed on the slope I was on, so had to be pretty careful.

Keeping my eye on that mob of black goats, I worked up the hill about 100m. That was when I noticed a nanny and kid feeding right at the top of the gulley on the fenceline. Had to be careful of them as well, but it changed what I was planning to do. I figured maybe working along to them might be a better idea, although it was wide open to them. I then made my slowly out to a dead tree which was my last bit of cover. That was when I noticed another goat on the opposite spur just standing out in the open and watching me. Hmmm......then I noticed there was a sheep standing 30m behind me wondering what on earth I was doing! Same mistake made again, surrounded by animals that I didn't notice before deciding on a direction.

I stood there still for a while just hoping either the goat on the spur would give up watching me, or the ones at the top of the gulley would work down closer. The black mob further down were now alert to something further down the gulley, and were just dead still for ages watching for whatever was happening there. I was stuck between all these different animals not wanting to spook any, although the sheep had given a few bleets and walked off by now.

When the mob of black goats got too nervous and moved up and over the spur, I figured I had to do something. The goats at the top of the gulley were also alert to me now and were "barking" at me (not sure of the term, but it seemed reminiscent of how a goat would bark), eventually walking away. I decided to just walk straight towards the grey one at the top of the spur, and if I got to under 50 I would have a shot.

I was pretty confident of my abilities at 50m after shooting a bit more at that distance recently and being bang on. Hunting at that distance was never on my radar though. Anyway, got to 45m at the very bottom of the gulley and figured if I go further it will spook. So I aimed slightly low on the 50m pin, shot, and the arrow sailed straight over the top of it! Completely forgot about angle compensation and I could have aimed at least 10m closer to be on target, maybe even more. One arrow down, and a sore forehead from slapping myself.

That goat kind of half spooked, moved a little, but didn't present a second shot to me before heading off. I looked for the arrow, unsuccessfully, and then slowly working down the other spur. Spooked the 2 goats that were at the top of the gulley earlier on, hiding on the other side of the spur where the country got a lot wilder and dropped down a fair way to a low plain. Time to relax after that I figured and make my way back to camp for lunch.
    Last edited by disco stu; 27th August 2018 at 01:57 PM.
    eject, EJECT!!
    I headed back up for an afternoon hunt after lunch and a relax. I figured they would have all been spooked by this stage after being seen by 5 different goats. Made my way to the opposite side of the spur of interest, a fair bit further down, going slow and glassing the whole way to make sure I wasn't inadvertently walking into some. Slow going once again. Glassed there for a while before seeing some goats right up at the top of the gulley feeding in the sun. Deciding to make my way up towards them I crossed the gulley and started working up the spur.

Then I noticed something behind some bushes that was out of place, but couldn't quite make out exactly what it was, 100m in front of me over some open ground. This was on a rock that was right behind where the grey goat was that I shot at that morning. Once again showing the usefulness of bino's, as I would have walked straight into it with naked eyes.

I could see some goats milling around behind this one, and this goats face was covered by some branches and leaves, so I was clear to carefully make my way up the open area while I was a bit hidden from its view, with a view to heading to the left side to get a clearer shot through the opening there.

Made it to 60m when it decided it was time to stand up and turn around, looking out through the opening I was going for, and wondering what this weird beanie wearing 2 legged thing was moving up the mountain-bugger!! I just stood still, for the longest time, hoping it would lose interest. Had to move a leg once the ache and shaking kicked in as I was in an arkward position, and that didn't help things at all as far as not being noticed-where it proceeded to goat bark at me, telling all her mates "hey bro's and cuzes-check this thing out. Its got a beanie on, and a rain jacket to help with the cold. Full on hey!!". So all the other goats came over and stood there watching me watching them. Finally she started turning away, giving me a chance to relax a little bit, but kept looking away and then back for at least 5min, probably more. I think I was there about 20-30min before they finally walked off, and then I saw them through and opening further to my left. They stood in there for a minute, noses to the air and then were off in a hurry. They were slightly downwind of me, and I suspect they caught my scent in a swirl

Back to camp for our last night. Gee I was going to miss that astroturf! Just after sundown and Keith was talking to his wife "WHAT THE F**% IS THAT!?" I thought it was just a star shining through a thin cloud, to which the logical reply was there isn't a single cloud in the sky. Plus it was in the western sky and it was moving up in the sky, not down. Watching it further it started to move across towards the north a bit as well. I was so intrigued I called a mate back home, and he could see it from there, so it was definitely a long way up. Looking through bino's there was a distinct shape to it, and I thought it looked like an old black and white cop movie, where there is for and the cars headlights shine in the fog, but there you have the shadow part where it is clear. Most intriguing thing I think I've ever seen. It finally just got dimmer and dimmer before it was gone, but it lasted for around 2hrs.

IMG_20180812_182141.jpg
    Doesn't show it well, but this is the weird light in the sky. Was taken with a phone camera, so obviously crap. I've seen some images online that show it perfectly

Got the real story asking on facebook the next day. It was the latest rocket launch heading to the sun. This was 2nd or 3rd stage booster and fuel cell that was jettisoned, and what we could see was the cloud of fuel vapour and the sun shining on it. I thought that how I described it in that case wasn't too far off the mark.

Anyway, next day we were supposed to be leaving about 10ish. I got up early to try and be up there when they first started moving around for the day, thinking that maybe they go down for a drink first thing. That might be right, as I saw the original black goats in front of me as I was making my way up the spur. I was worried about spooking them, and no chance I could move as fast as they could. At one point looked up and a small billy was on top of a rock just looking at me. He finally moved on after I ducked down for a while. One point of pride was I made it up to 10m from some kangaroos without them knowing I was there. I was happy with that knowing I was learning, and if I could get up on them I would be alright with the goats, as the goats seemed less flighty than the roo's.

Moving further up I could hear some bleeting from across the gulley, but just couldn't pick where from. I finally caught sight of them as they were moving to the very top of the gulley. I was at the same open point I started at the afternoon before, so I took advantage of moving fast through there as I had a strong feeling they were making their way basically straight to me. This proved right and a few minutes later they were straight in front of me about 20m away. Unlike getting close the previous day, at this point my heart was beating out of my chest. I think I just knew it was going to happen and things just got real, but I'm there trying to be calm, and everything is just boom boom boom, my movements are jerky etc.

Nock and arrow, and this time make very certain of distance and pin-20m and settle my first pin on and off fires the arrow. Goat walks forward a metre or two. Bugger-must have missed.....somehow. Goat has walked about 5m and is standing half behind a bush hiding her head, so I adjust position and nock another arrow. Shoot off a second arrow and it walks forward a metre or 2 and that is all. Are you fricking kidding me-missed again?? I just wait it out to see if it will move to position for a perfect shot, which I could have shot but was being overly patient. She then walks off over a rise calmly.

So here I am, shot twice at something 20m away and both shots missed and the goat barely reacted at all. I walk up to look for my arrows, and find one in a stump just behind the first shot. This one is covered in guts-not good shot placement, but as my heart was beating out of chest etc I can see how bad shot happened, and this will only improve with more animals under my belt. Walk to second shot, and there is a heap of blood on the ground!! Turned out later that shot hit rear leg, and must have hit artery or vein in there. Blown out by the fact that with both of these shots the goat just walked a few paces and that was all, didn't run or make any noise.

Knowing that I had at least gut shot this goat, and it was bleeding, I decided after a short wait to follow it up to make sure I could finish it off as I don't like that idea. Slowly worked through above where it walked, and finally found a nice large rock to stand up on, figuring I could look right around and locate it. Looking around I see nothing, until I finally look down and figure out it's bedded down at the base of this rock about 4m below me. Knock an arrow, step over, and this time I was a lot calmer, with the shot going exactly where I aimed. It got up, ran about 10m and then dropped down beside a rock. I thought it was hiding there, but later figured out it just dropped right there. Very happy with that shot to be so effective from above the animal. Scratch another arrow and broadhead! 3 arrows and 4 broadheads down now.

IMG_20180813_095415.jpg
    Where it dropped after the final shot

Turning phone off flight mode I had about 5 missed calls from Keith and a worried voice mail! Quick call to fill him in before going to recover the goat. There was no movement at all from where it lay, so I was pretty confident that it was dead. A few messages to wife and mate and I dragged it up the top to gut it out for the walk back to camp.

IMG_20180813_101031.jpg
    Once I got her up the top before gutting out

IMG_20180813_104232.jpg
    One of 2 selfies I've ever taken! Sent this to my wife

IMG_20180813_105657.jpg
    Keith shot this once I met up with him

Seeing we were supposed to be hitting the road, once back at camp we didn't bother skinning before breaking it down. Next time I think skinning will be a big time saver long term and stop a lot of hair getting on the meat later on. I was surprised how little meat was on them also

I was pretty stoked with this result. This was my first animal with the bow larger than a rabbit, plus my first hunt in probably 5 years. I was glad to be able to improve my stalking and glassing, be able to spot animals before they spot me and finally be able to actually make it happen.

Only thing left is to eat the meat now!!
    eject, EJECT!!
    Good job.
    We all stuff up mate,glad you can at least admit it. It will get easier
    Now,Keith rang me,and the part about you sleeping outside just be untrue coz he reckons you make a great bed warmer ������
    All good Stu, glad you had a successful hunt, a bit of rain and hurricane winds made it a bit uncomfortable, but the fire was a welcome relief at night, me I couldn't handles the hills like Stu stuck to the flats. Glad I could help out another bowhunter to get his first goat. This is the 2nd bowhunter I have taken to this property and both have been successful, just glad that I could help out up and comers to keep our great lifestyle going as us old farts days are fading, PS Pete I kicked Stu out of bed because of his blxxxy snoring.
    Was cool chatting to you guys whilst u were waiting for the property owner to arrive that night!

BUT..... I just spent 15mins reading this story and not 1 mention/evidence/photo of "Pink Chaps"!!! WTF??!!?? I call this false advertising!?!

Hahaha...well done mate and thanks for sharing!
    Sitting back from your trophy to make it appear bigger only makes you look smaller!

Public Relations Officer, Head Bowhunting Instructor & past "Supreme Commander"- Pacific Bowmen inc
    Game Hunters Association of Australia inc - Life Member
    ABA Bowhunting Instructor
    ADA qualified measurer
    Former Game Council R Licence Examiner

Assassin Automotive Solutions

We'll "take care" of your problems

Quarry Road, Murwillumbah , NSW. Ph: 0481 303965
    Well done stu! Good feeling hey and thanks for taking the time to write it up.

If you don't learn anything on a hunt I reckon you've had your eyes closed so your a long way ahead.
    Well done Stu. Nice write-up too mate. Thanks for posting.

Daz
    Quote Originally Posted by Big pete joy View Post
    Good job.
    We all stuff up mate,glad you can at least admit it. It will get easier
    Now,Keith rang me,and the part about you sleeping outside just be untrue coz he reckons you make a great bed warmer ������
    But I got upset when he kept comparing me to you!!

Cheers for that. I don't like admitting it, but no point not being honest about it.
    eject, EJECT!!
    Thanks for all the comments guys. It ended taking a lot longer to write up than I intended, and was also a lot longer than what I wanted, but I seem to have a habit of that

I ended up having to pull out the pink chaps part of the story Mick-trying to keep it G rated, plus I didn't want to give away any of your precious memories

Thanks again Keith, was great to get away with you. Next plan is to try and get you a deer now you've got me a goat
    eject, EJECT!!
    Sounds good Stu just hope no steep hills, how did the family like the goat meat.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast