Bowhunting Downunder
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Personally I prefer to bare shaft (BS) paper tune - as I want to see what the arrows are doing - not what the fletches are doing to the arrows. Once I'm getting bullets with the bare shafts - and know my BS are flying true- then I will BS tune and tune my fletched arrows to my BSs at distance. I also find that once I have completed this step and my BS and fletched are smacking into each other - my broad heads will also fly well. But no matter what you prefer - ensure that you have a proper grip - as bare shaft tuning, as is any arrow tuning - is very form critical.
    2014 PSE DNA SP - 65#
    2015 PSE Full Throttle - 64#
    Martin Mamba Recurve - 50#
    Bear Kodiak Magnum 50th Anniversary #55
    All good points. I took the medical tape off my grip and returned to shooting right groups at 20yds.
    So I did some fletched arrow paper tuning and got a slight left nock tear which disappeared after moving the rest a little to the right without affecting fetching clearance. Two arrows later and I was getting some acceptable bullet holes. Once I was all sighted in again at 20 yards o began to shoot b/s and they are now shooting with my field points at 20m. Pretty happy .
    What bow are you shooting? Bow needs to be tuned, and really focus on form as b/s will show any inconsistencies in form. Depending on what bow it is will determine how to tune it. As most of the lads have said, do a quick paper tune with bare shaft. This where I like to knock tune every bare shaft before fletching. The Nick position in relation to the spine of the arrow will also change how you b/s shoots through paper
    Bowtech Insanity CPX
    76.5lb 29.5in
    Cpxl limbs
    Fuse sight
    Qad drop away
    Killer bowstrings
    Trophy ridge stab.
    Truball fang4
    Ado - send me a PM with your private email - and I'll send you a copy of the 'Nuts & Bolts" of Archery. Nuts & Bolt is a bow tuner/archery coach who appears on the US Archery Talk Site. He is a font of archery knowledge. A brilliant read and it will tell you everything you need to know - and then some.
    Last edited by Johnno; 13th September 2018 at 08:56 AM.
    2014 PSE DNA SP - 65#
    2015 PSE Full Throttle - 64#
    Martin Mamba Recurve - 50#
    Bear Kodiak Magnum 50th Anniversary #55
    PM sent mate. Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckman View Post
    What bow are you shooting? Bow needs to be tuned, and really focus on form as b/s will show any inconsistencies in form. Depending on what bow it is will determine how to tune it. As most of the lads have said, do a quick paper tune with bare shaft. This where I like to knock tune every bare shaft before fletching. The Nick position in relation to the spine of the arrow will also change how you b/s shoots through paper
    PSE Stinger X . Dialled to around 58lbs. 350 spine Victory gamers cut to 30in, 125 grain field tips and 125 gn Slick trix (yet to be tested) .Shark caliper release. Truglo 5pin micro adjust. NAP Apache drop away.
    So after a few days of tuning my fletched arrow are shooting nice and straight out to 20m. But my bare shafts are making me lose my mind. I get a bullet hole at 5m -+
    Paper tuning bareshaft at 10 m + shows a horrible right to left almost horizontal tear about 3in long.
    The bare shafts are hitting to the right and nock pointing severely to the left.
    I've tried moving my rest to the right but at a time but no significant difference even bringing the rest as far as I can go without my fletched arrows hitting the riser.
    So, I don't think I'm tourquing the bow as the bs results are consistent.

So these are my -
    1 yoke tuning but no access to bow press
    2. I'm hunting with slick trix next hunt and it seems that they might be more for forgiving . So get them to group with my FP spot on and then call it a day?
    Could it be a spine issue 350 at 55lbs

Adrian
    Last edited by ADO; 19th September 2018 at 08:54 PM.
    What point weight you running, and what draw length?

What area are you in? Someone might be close with a press you could use. I honestly couldn't live without a press for tuning. Bowmaster is cheap and I think will work on your bow, but check that
    eject, EJECT!!
    DL 29
    FP 125gn
    Arrow - 30in 300spine
    DW 53lbs (approx)
    Definitely not under spined in that case
    eject, EJECT!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast