TUSX

A Quick Arvo Stroll.....

I was kinda getting tired of sitting around watching TV and packing up our gear to move house. I thought that with the missus off shopping for the day, kids were at school, I should chuck my gear in the car and go for a look for a pig.

It has been getting really quite hot here in the afternoons so I hoped that there would be some pigs hanging along the creek on my local block here that I am allowed to hunt on. I threw some gear in the car and got into my camo. Went and fuelled up and was heading out the road at 2:00 that arvo. It was an hour drive for me to get where I wanted to be.

I got through the gate and poked my Ute ever slowly along the dusty track so as not to spook the cattle too much and throw too much dust about. I hadnít even pulled up to my usual parking area when I saw a pig feeding on its own out across the flat on the edge of the water drain. I stopped in the shade and checked him through my Binos. He was definitely a boar but I couldnít tell much more than that. I jumped out and kitted up with backpack, bow, all the usual gear. He was about four hundred metres away but that would double as I had to walk out around the edge of a drain and come back onto him, which would work better as the wind would be in my face. I got my GoPro and clipped it onto my hat brim, which is a first for me but I wanted to give it a go. And off I went.....

After I had gotten out around the drain and through the timber to where I should be able to see him, I stopped and glasses to determine where he was, and plan a stalk. I had glazed for several minutes before I saw him moving well away from the creek and slowly moving towards the thicker rubber-vine crap that these things love to bed up in. I turned on the GoPro and scrambled around hoping to cut him off as he entered the edge of the thickness. I got to where I figured I roughly needed to be and saw him just meandering in towards where I was. Ideally I would have got myself into a better position near a large tree that he was to walk past, but where I was he would have a walking lane giving me a clear shot. I propped and waited for him to appear in my window, ranged the distance to where he would walk through, 36metres, and tried to steady myself.

Only a few moments later and he had followed the rule book to a tee! As he entered my shooting lane I drew my bow and took aim. I clicked my jaw and tongue to pull him up, and squeezed off my shot. Everything was perfect, for a moment, but then not so much. The arrow flew exactly as I had planned, hitting the exact area in which I had aimed it. However, as I had made the chomping noise to pull him up, he quarter turned to face my direction, thus putting his head in the area that I had intended for arrow travel......
    So, I found out that my 70 pound Hoyt Pro Defiant, with a Easton FMJ deep six Injexion arrow and a Montec Deadmeat 3-blade mechanical broad-head cannot be stopped by the forehead of a 70kg mature basalt boar!

fullsizeoutput_208d.jpg

f%6C%3y6Q7W8cCFgea9%9A.jpg

I hadnít intended to hit where I had in fact hit. But that arrow dropped that boar faster than I could believe. He didnít even kick his legs. He was gooooone!!! I had just been shown that sometimes stuff just aligns for you. It wasnít the prettiest situation but hey, Iíll take it! It was barely 3:30 and I had a good boar on deck! He had nothing to brag about in the way of tusks but I didnít mind. So I set him for some photos and decide what way I was going to continue on.

I walked out towards the main creek that holds water, and could hear pigs farting around in the grass on the other side. I sat there for a short while to see if they would show themselves and give me a look as to what was there. I didnít want to wade through the water unless I really had to. I knew of a better place to cross some 800 metres down the creek. While I was watching and waiting I saw two large boars out in the flat beyond the mob that I could hear. That was enough for me. I planned to walk the creeks edge up to my crossing spot and double back onto these two good pigs. A quick photo of the mob and off I went.

A+LjrRehQ0eGx9KHxJy2MA.jpg

So I had to take a longer route to get around different fingers of water coming off the creek itself. I was aware that the sun was getting lower by now and time was starting to be an issue. I moved as quickly as I could to make it to the crossing. Once through the creek, with minimal wet feet, I had to clear a patch of timber and get across a big flat. Clear a second patch of timber and I would be near the area I had seen the larger pigs. As I was crossing this first big clearing, I saw a mob of several pigs feeding along the timbers edge, not near the direction I was heading. They were 400metres from me so I couldnít accurately tell what was there, but some seemed pretty decent sized. What to do..... ? So I figured Iíd be best to pursue the pigs that I could see, as sun was slowly fading and I didnít know what the other two pigs had done in this time. So I pegged my ears back and got into action! Turned on my GoPro and got to stalking.

I got into about 80metres from the mob, which was pretty spread out and feeding. I was now able to have a good look at them through my binos and see what was on offer. I noted a couple of handy boars that I was about to target, but heard another pig grunt from over to the side of where I was watching. I could see the out line of a larger pig standing in the weeds watching over the rest of the mob. He had to be the dominant boar! I sidled around from where I was and was able to get into 42m from the good pig. Binos up and was happy to see that he was definitely a boar. A considerable sized one at that! I was crouched down low and was able to steal two more steps and sit and watch them all. I was super happy just to be getting all of this on film!

With the minutes passing, and the sun fading, I was at full draw to the big guy twice already. First time was offered a poor shot angle, and second time some of the other pigs walked into my shot path. So a little bit of waiting and calming myself down, a shot that I was comfortable with finally presented. 40m at perfect broadside, I let fly and the shot could not have been better! I nailed him low in the shoulder crease, where he took off at a rate. He stopped about 50m off and the rest of the pigs were grunting and not real sure what was happening. Another walked out from the weedy growth so I lined him up as well. Smacked him what I thought was a little high, however he only ran 20 metres and succumbed to what was.

So after all that had taken place, I had the second boar fall within sight, and I had seen where the bigger fella had ran off into the wild thistle grass. Light was seemingly disappearing at a pretty quick rate. I had to get in there and find him. I was hopeful that the shot was lethal as I wasnít too keen to play Irish River Dance with a wounded basalt boar right on dusk. I quickly followed his blood and put him up from his bed. I knew that I should have waited but I had no time. He was super sore and only trotted off fifteen or so metres. I ducked down and crept in to where I had last seen him walking towards the safety of the basalt rocks and rubber-vine. As I neared the ridge of rocks I heard him grunt and stopped in my tracks. He was standing only five metres in front of me! As it was minimal light I hadnít seen him stop and thought he had crossed the rocks! I was a wee bit worried as I was on my last arrow by now and it was barely light enough to see. This boar knew that I was there and I did not know how much life was left in him. I ever gently pulled my arrow and nocked it, drew back slowly, facing downwards, and lifted my bow to try and obtain a sight picture of him. I was crapping myself I wonít lie. I had to tilt my head and look along my arrow to be sure it was where I was aiming, and fired.
    Shot was good! Actually, shot was perfect! The boar spun around at me, only to try and run but fell down without taking a step. That was intense. He did the normal death kicks and grunts, but it was all over. I had all this on film and couldnít believe it. I set my backpack and bow down and said a quick thank you for it not turning out to be a Russel Coight moment. Set the big fella up for some pictures and got to cutting his jaw out. I still had about 4km to get back to my Ute, in the dark with my headlamp, and to wade across the creek as well. I bloody love this! What an afternoon!

fullsizeoutput_2090.jpg

Unfortunately one of his tusks were a bit busted off from fighting. But I donít mind too much about that. He was a cracker boar to get on deck and sure beat watching tv and making excuses to not get out for a hunt. It shouldnít matter what stresses you might be facing in life, if you can just get yourself to go and do what we all love doing then it can change your perspective and give you that little boost that you may need. I know it has done for me.
    Cheers for reading guys. Happy hunting.
    Don't make excuses, Live life to the fullest

Hunt hard and often...

Prime Logic @ 81#
    Hoyt Pro Defiant @ 73#
    Easton N-Fused & Full Metal Jacket
    Helix Broadheads
    Nice story mate, got to love the arse pucker when a good pig has got the shyts with you.

Randal
    Well done Hyndsie ��
    Trophy Takers & A.B.A member.
    Nice read, thanks for writing it up
    eject, EJECT!!
    Great write up mate, and handy grunters too!
    West Australian Bowhunter
    Thanks guys. Thought I’d try and submit something for the forum. It’s been a while between stories for me. Cheers
    Don't make excuses, Live life to the fullest

Hunt hard and often...

Prime Logic @ 81#
    Hoyt Pro Defiant @ 73#
    Easton N-Fused & Full Metal Jacket
    Helix Broadheads
    Good read Hyndsie, those head shots can go either way but when they work the work quick.
    That last boar is a cracker, thanks for taking the time to post it all up mate.
    Good $#!t brother, well done man. Nice read
    VPA prostaff, BONE SPLITTING PERFORMANCE.

LIVE THE HUNT
    Great stuff!!
    Nice effort and a good sized boar there mate. Thanks for posting
    Cheers
    Bruce