Arrowhead Magazine

Vanes not sticking-a solution

I've got a solution for those are having trouble with vanes not sticking.

Loctite make a primer product for using ca/super glue on hard to glue plastics. It's called 770, and apparently works on polypropylene even. Spoke to their tech department and he told me try the plastics glue that is sold in Bunning first, same stuff in smaller amount.

It's a texta like tube, with a little tube of super glue. Rub the texta on there, let it flash off and then glue as normal.

Just tried it out on vanes that are cheap and not glueing well (with proper prep, abrading and cleaning etc). The result is as good as bohning killer-can't rip it off. Makes me wonder if this is the sort of stuff the better brands use to prime them.

Priced the bottles of 770 from cbc bearings _(I think). 100ml is about $24 +gst. Enough to do a heap of vanes plus many other jobs, in my garage at last. 2yr shelf life which can't be extended by sorting in fridge unfortunately

I know people have been having issues with blazers st times etc. Should sort all those issues out it seems
    eject, EJECT!!
    Mate i have found that using the Easton primer pens (available from Abbey Archery about $18 i think )on the vane base before applyoing the superglue and cleaning the shaft / wrap with Isopropyl alcohol and you have to cut the vanes off your shaft, they will not come off at all other than by cutting.
    Cheers
    Cheers Ian. I didn't even know this was available. I would bet they are the same thing liking at the specs on the Easton primer, but at $18 for 10ml the Easton is cheaper than the loctite Bunnings stuff. If someone goes through heaps then the 100ml 770 would save a bit of money
    eject, EJECT!!
    Interesting....

Public Relations Officer, Head Bowhunting Instructor & past "Supreme Commander"- Pacific Bowmen inc
    Game Hunters Association of Australia inc - Life Member
    ABA Bowhunting Instructor
    ADA qualified measurer
    Former Game Council R Licence Examiner

Assassin Automotive Solutions

We'll "take care" of your problems

Quarry Road, Murwillumbah , NSW. Ph: 0481 303965